Sledgstone

Windows XP Support will end April 8, 2014

Its the end of an era. Windows XP support will end soon. Anyone still running XP machines? I have 2 and Lady has an old laptop with XP also. Windows has a site about the end too:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/

I'm tempted to find a copy of Windows 7 and upgrade one of my old computers, but I don't think the hardware will support it well considering how old the system is. I have a decent firewall for it and I never use the Internet Explorer on it either. I figure I'll still use it for my old files and storage still but I might disconnect it off the internet sooner rather than later. It kind of sucks that XP won't get software updates anymore but at the same time this will finally give web developers an excuse to finally stop making their sites and products work on IE 8. I hate that browser with a passion. I have seen so many bugs with forum, cms, blogs, etc. software all because of compatibility fixes for IE8.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'm annoyed Steam Machines aren't out yet so I'm most likely going to do monthly payments on a pre-built PC that runs Windows 7.

If it weren't for PC Gaming though I'd consider the switch over to a PC that runs Android.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Windows XP was probably the first really stable MS operating system IMO. Windows ME and Vista were garbage and were far worse than Windows 8. I still think Windows 7 is the best OS.

Steam Machines don't seem practical yet. If I ever run Steam OS on a computer, I'll buy a premade moderately powerful gaming system with a windows OS on it.. then install Steam OS on it with a dual boot setup. From my own experience of using Ubuntu Linux years ago, I have no doubt that the Steam OS would auto-recognize and configure itself for all the hardware on the system. I remember how shocked I was when I installed linux for the first time. The OS auto configured everything, video drivers, etc. all on its own. Windows still hasn't become that easy. Of course trying to learn linux commands to then change simple things was such a pain in the ass I never used it again. lmao. XD

I tried to do the Bill Me Later option on HP.com.... I didn't qualify for whatever reason.... Then again I couldn't comprehend the freaking thing because I'm so use to putting in my credit card information & HP never asked for it.

My April 8th is going to suck.... Unless somehow paying for Anti-Virus protection helps....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I was thinking about this today and I'm not so certain XP will be safe until later this year. The more I think about it.. there is a set date for when support will end and MS will stop issuing patches. If some malicious people out there want to take full advantage of this, they'll horde their newest XP exploits and start using them the day after support ends to maximize their efficiency... Yeah.. I don't think I'll access any of my bank account info on my XP system after that deadline just to be careful.

I found this rather shocking. 95 percent of U.S. ATMS are running Windows XP. O_O

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/95-percent-us-atms-run-windows-xp

Many banks are now paying MS for security updates for their ATMs.

I'll probably try to go for a HP Windows 7 PC again next month once I get my checks though It'll lack any of the upgrades I wanted if I were allowed to do the Pay Me Later option.

*Edit*

On Second thought forget buying a PC from HP.com as I probably won't get denied when I buy one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?bbn=565098&qid=1395301669&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!13900871%2Cn%3A!565154%2Cn%3A!251257011%2Cn%3A4972214011%2Cn%3A565098%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A2287320011%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011&sort=price-asc-rank

Hmm.... I'm thinking Asus since its the cheapest with Windows 7 & i7 core....

Edited by Myk JL

I used windows 95 through 98, NT, ME, and 2000... it held up pretty well. I'm sure XP will do the same... I love 7... but I hate 8. I was working on a friends laptop today with 8... wtf is going on? It was so hard to find msconfig and even the control panel to remove all the bs sharware/spyware wal-mart put on his machine. I eventually had it running good... but shit. why get rid of the start button? the tiles were usless..... I don't want my PC to be like Xbox Live.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I hope Windows 8.1 is much much better than Windows 8. I troubleshooted some network issues for a relative and I hated the operating system. I don't understand how it is supposed to be more user friendly, when it down right frustrated the hell out of me. It took me about 5-10 minutes just to find the control panel. Considering how it has a very similar back end to Windows 7 with settings, control panel, etc.. why the f*ck did MS make it so damn un-user friendly.. Maybe it would be more enjoyable on a tablet or for people completely new to owning a PC, but for me.. I hate Windows 8 based on my experience of using it on someone else's computer.

Yes! As I stated in Myks other post when I was fixing a friends computer, it took forever to find the damn control panel. Seriously? The start button is one of the greatest things to ever grace an OS... why remove it and divide up everything that use to be in one place?

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Here are a couple interesting articles about how to get partial security updates for Windows XP systems until 2019:

http://betanews.com/2014/05/26/how-to-continue-getting-free-security-updates-for-windows-xp-until-2019/

http://betanews.com/2014/05/27/microsoft-warns-against-xp-update-hack-suggests-users-upgrade-to-windows-8-1-instead/

As for me.. I took the plunge and ordered a new desktop. It has Windows 8... I guess I'll have to learn the new OS and try to make it useable for me. I got the new desktop primarily for work, but I should be able to take advantage of Steam's new in house streaming. The new desktop can handle the bulk of the processing while I enjoy the games on my laptop. ^_^