Sledgstone

Vikings Season 2 Episode Discussion (possible spoilers)

I'm a bit confused about why Floki refused to invite Ragnar to his wedding. Even though they have grown apart from each other, I thought they were still good friends. And now he's thinking about teaming up with Horik.. hmm..

Rollo knows about Siggy's Horik sexcapades, he obviously wasn't pleased, but he also didn't tell her or ask her to stop.

I figured Lagertha would be Earl and team up with Ragnar, I was pleased to see that play out.

The blood eagle execution seemed a bit off, but I'm assuming its the best they could do with censorship. But then again.. The Walking Dead has decapitations and far worse on cable tv.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

The birth of Ivar the boneless. I remember reading on Wikipedia about that guy a while ago. He became a great leader and berserker. I'm guessing he must be great on a horse.

I thought Rollo actually sliced up Bjorn in that sparring match.. they must have been so focused that they could see how the damage would have been delt.

And wtf.. Ragnar sets up a possible treaty with Ecbert and Horik has his men slaughter them to force his plans for revenge onto Ragnar and Lagertha's shoulders.

Ever since Horik came into the picture hes cause more problems than anyone. What kind of king doesn't have ships and forces, and how does he command respect with such frugal resources? Its funny how he wanted Ragnar to look past Jalborg taking all his land and forcing his family into hiding, but Ecbert kills a few of his men when he could have gone back with Ragnar to help, and he demands revenge?  Lagertha is new to the game. While she was at Ragnar's side for a while, she just became Earl with little experience. All three are not on the same page, and I think it is going to affect the battle in the next episode to where they lose pretty bad. Horik is going to throw a fit and blame it on Ragnar... although I hope they just kill him off, or have him severely injured. If they lose the battle, they're going to have to do another time skip next season to where they can get more fighters in the way of Ragnar's other sons becoming of age.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Boy oh boy, I absolutely loved all those precious slow-motion moments throughout the episode. What plot development! 

So it gives me a sense of how the last 3 episodes are going to pan out. Let's stretch this or milk it so we can get to THIS or THAT exact scene to be the final ending *insert more slow motion scenes or scenes of the water around the Islands or some cool shots of fog cos YEAH that's awesome*

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Why watch the show if you don't like it? :confused:

I'm guessing season 3 will focus more on Ragnar's children as adults. If they're planning on making the series last even longer they'll drag out this Horik and Eckert conflict into the next season instead of doing another time skip.

My point is that if they lose, they'll have to do a time skip. They lost too many men last time and if they lose with Lagertha's men, they won't have any more unless they bring in another Earl, or wait for their young to age. But before that they will have to address the tension between Ragnar and Horik. Plus if Floki leaves that would put Ragnar in a position where losing ships is costly. Horik is trying to undercut Ragnar as he is starting to realize he might be too ambitious. He holds the advantage of speaking the Saxon language.

Why watch the show if you don't like it? :confused:

I'm guessing season 3 will focus more on Ragnar's children as adults. If they're planning on making the series last even longer they'll drag out this Horik and Eckert conflict into the next season instead of doing another time skip.

The same reason I'm reading Naruto, to see it to it's end. Jokes aside, I can watch a show and not like it at the same time. It's like going back to get the same bad haircut knowing you're going to get a bad haircut every time. It's not a bad show, it's just got pacing issues ... something I felt the same with The Walking Dead too which I spoke of. Vikings is a good show, I wish they kept a keen focus on the meat of it. It's just disappointing. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

This is History's first go at an original TV series. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I do. I don't know if they were even prepared for how successful it was going to be. No doubt last season was better than this season, but I still look forward to what they have planned. While they haven't stayed 100% historically accurate on minor details, the question remains will they stay true to history as far as the fate of some of the characters. If they do, it could piss a lot of people off. lol

but at the same time it would be a rare occasion in which the main character dies and his heirs take over... it would be a ballsy move

Ecbert is the exact opposite of Horik. He knows what he is doing and has balls of steel while doing it. He's smart and patient. I really like this character. He's turning out to be a great villain, but its hard to hate him because he has yet to do anything really despicable yet.

Horik once again proves his inability to lead, this time on the battlefield. Ragnar knew they were walking into a trap and Horik lead them right into it... and then blamed it on the gods rather than admit Ragnar was correct in wanting to wait. He acts like a spoiled brat, even at the negoiating table. Thankfully Lagertha is stepping in to make things happen. The deal Ecbert set forth is a pretty sweet deal even if you take away everything that has happened between the first time him and Ragnar met. It wouldn't surprise me if Horik pulls a Haraldson and wants all of the proceeds even though he had nothing to do with brokering the deal.

Princess Kwenthrith is who Bjorn must marry as foreseen by the seer... I wonder if he can handle her whorebag nature. XD

The exchange between Ragnar and Floki on his trustworthiness was epic. It will certainly be put to the test in the season finale, along with Siggy's inner conflict... if she does this, Rollo will never forgive her and it would not be worth it.

Ecbert has become a very interesting character in this show. He definitely is the smartest man in the show at this point. Horik keeps screwing Ragnar over.. he couldn't even trust Horik to not have Athelstan killed as he was leaving their camp. Rollo looked like he was dead on the battlefield, its surprising that he survived that. I doubt Siggy would go through with it, but it'll be interesting to see how the finale ends. The season 1 finale was quite weak so I hope next weeks episode gives us something good to make us look forward to season 3. Floki is turning into a tool for Horik, maybe Horik will tell him to kill Bjorn in the finale.

And poor Bjorn.. I don't see how he would ever be happy with that woman. XD

In the season 2 tease we see Athelstan missing his right hand and Egbert using it to feed a deer. I think the king's door is swinging both ways and he more then just likes his scribing priest. He couldn't keep up with princess fuck you into a coma and sent in warriors as apposed to his priest. I found it amusing she grabbed that viking guys junk and they were both all ;) lol I thought Rollo's plumbing got trampled on too, I don't have a dick but I was squirming for him shit man.As for Floki.... if he is like Loki then he's just playing Horick and that fucker will be dead soon

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I was glad to see Athelstan return... and I was also happy that Ragnar told him he wanted him to come back. Athelstan may be struggling with religion, but through it all he can see one thing clearly... As a monk he was a slave, under Ecbert he was a slave, threatened with death.... but with Ragnar he is a free man. Ragnar respects him... it goes back to when he left him in charge of his kids while he and Lagertha went on a raid. He saw Athelstan's moral standards and trusted him... respect came after... perhaps Ragnar is Atheist as well? Its hard to tell because the series visually despicts that both religions are alive between Athelstan's Christianity allusions and Odin's crows. Ragnar at the least has a more liberal view on the gods... this became evident when he asked Athelstan on this faith and replied that he wished for his gods and Athelstan's god to be friends one day. Ragnar is looking outside the box and this is what is causing Floki to lose respect for Ragnar on the surface.... but you never know with Floki. 

Ragnar seemed to have full faith in the gods and Odin during the human sacrifice episode. Maybe instead of leaning towards atheism he believes all gods do exist including the Christian one. This is what might be making Floki resent him.. any belief in other gods is faith that Ragnar isn't dedicating fully to Odin. But if Ecbert was as open in his dialog like that, his people would crucify him.

Not sure how I feel about Athelstan and his return to Ragnar's village. In a way, it contradicts his recently acquired faith and if you look at the amount of time they spent in showing him in doubt before he went back to Christianity, it took just a friendly gesture from Ragnar to bring him back to the fold? Floki trying to be a bad guy and not teaming with Ragnar was a good spin to his character, seeing him possibly return to the fold is again a bit disappointing. With Rollo you could see why he did it initially, the intent was clear and sacrifice was too. In the end, it still makes for good TV, not sure how historically accurate these switching of sides was back in the day, but I could see it happening. 

That was surprising finale... they just tossed the historical timeline out the window... I suspected Floki being a spy... but he went so deep as to not even tell Helga in a decent attempt to throw us off... I do wonder about him testing the shrooms on Rollo first without caring of the consequences before he gave them to whats his name. Once I saw Rollo lived I knew what was going on. Epic set up. Siggy surprised me the most. I haven't really trusted her the entire series... but now it comes into question if Ragnar ordered her to be a whore behind Rollo's back to gather intel on Horik. She clearly loves Rollo even though hes a douche to her 90% of the time. After killing Haraldson, he let her live, he let Rollo live after the betrayal as well... even though she desires to be in power once again, Horik did her wrong by making her screw his son in front of him. The Seer told her that the gods smile on those women who are brave. Killing children is definitely not. She is probably one of my favorite characters because you never know what she is thinking.

Lagertha defeating Horik's wife was awesome... was she really going to kill all the dauthers?! O_O Bjorn didn't seem to approve of the end result when he found all the males killed off. The end implies that Ragnar is now king. I guess the third season will focus on his interactions with Ecbert and Aelle.

there were some really awesome moments

Lagertha and the queen laughing it up over her killing the earl, then Lagertha showing up and taking her out. 

Loved it when Siggy hands Ragnar the knife Horik gave her to kill the children. Mwahahaha

I think that Ragnar didn't want to say forever and ever Amen because he thought it might be blasphemy to his gods

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I was completely pleased with the season finale. Floki was awesome. Thinking back on this season.. everything Siggy told Horik about the value of knowing your friend's weaknesses, her desire to regain her position as an Earl's wife, etc.. she played him from the beginning. She practically told him that she was gathering intel on him.. and then she says to Rollo that everything she did, she did for him. By ensuring that Ragnar would eventually become king, Rollo would be in a position to become Earl, thus securing her regained status. She was never on Horik's side. Or if she was playing both sides, she knew who was the correct choice. The things she did to get Horik's trust were extreme, but his biggest mistake was telling her to kill Ragnar's kids and his knife was all the physical proof Ragnar needed to justify killing him. The entire setup for the final confrontation was great. Horik's wife was preparing to join a slaughter only to get destroyed by Lagertha. But Ragnar's one guy told her to leave so she wouldn't have to deal with the daughter issue. Ragnar was probably never even drunk, just like his one guy never died. Horik was completely surprised and got what he deserved. Floki.. most of the episode I thought he was about to kill Bjorn, but he was completely watching over him. When he told Horik on the beach "I decided who I want to kill".. it was Horik himself and he never saw it coming. And in the end, Ragnar went ballistic on Horik's corpse. Brutal.

I read an interview about the guy writing season 3 of Vikings:

There will not be a huge time skip this time.. Season 3 will start with Ragnar as king and will focus on the Viking invasion of Paris.. 100 viking ships will invade with hundreds of warriors. O_O Ecbert will be in season 3 also, same with princess horney. Next season sounds like it will be epic.

Another year's worth of a wait or will it air sooner? I'm not entirely convinced Siggy was in on the plan, or was she? Who left first ... Siggy or Floki? 

They need to fix that. Waiting a year not only is a long time but it doesn't keep the series fresh in the audience's mind and doesn't get them constantly talking about it. Less buzz that way unless you make it as big as Game Of Thrones or Mad Men or the first few seasons of Breaking Bad.