Sledgstone

Vikings Season 2 Episode Discussion (possible spoilers)

The new season started tonight.. Rollo is a bastard. He killed eye patch guy and nearly killed Floki. I'm glad Floki survived tho, hes a good character to have around because of how different he is. Ragnar.. wtf.. The way he treated Lagertha. I'm glad she left him. Hopefully she'll still be an integral part of the series now that shes not tied down with Ragnar's woman / baby drama. I'd rather see her kicking ass on the battlefield.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Lagertha is definitely the better woman. Shes strong, and more faithful. Kwenthrith seems more conniving than Siggy. I don't like her at all... but to be fair to Ragnar, he did invite Athelstan for a threesome in season one, and Lagertha was all for it. XD

They say no one is safe on this TV series, but if you think about it, Floki is the least expendable of anyone... be builds the ships, and more importantly he is the only one that is currently able to build the fast boats that can make the trip west. Without Floki, Ragnar's group is just SOL.

I didn't get the blur effect when Ragnar was saying goodbye to his daughter. A little to artistic IMO... I expect a god or a vision when weird stuff like that happens, but it was just there for no reason.

I don't see this series going past 3 seasons... I hope the baby drama is just a minor aspect while the raids and the feud with King Aelle are the main focal point.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I missed that part with Ragnar saying good bye to the daughter. I have it on DVR, I'll rewatch that scene tomorrow. I probably got distracted by one of the pets.

I think Lagertha might have been more acceptable with Athelstan because he was already living with them and it was an idea her and Ragnar both had together? Either that or they were screwing with him to see how strong his christian values really were. Ragnar also had horrible timing.. he asks her in the middle of dinner in a crowded room. wtf. It reminded me of that Jerry Maguire movie.. where the agency would fire their agents at a crowded restaurant to limit the possibility of the person getting screwed into not making a big scene.

Well, there wasn't much of a choice. The dinner was presented and the were both feuding at the table. Ragnar is Earl now... I really believe he does love Lagertah more than Kwenthrith. Lagertah helped him to get where he is. She fought in battle with him... its just that he is so concerned with male heirs, he went through any cost to get them. I believe him when he says he does not love Kwenthrith... but she does have a lot to offer to his clan. I'm interest to see Siggy's schemes... I'm not sure why she is sticking with Rollo. Her beauty could capture anyone within the group.

I'm also interested to see if Bjorn paid off the Lawgiver with that coin. What was his motive to corrupt the ruling on Rollo?

Ragnar definitely appears to love Lagertha. Kwenthrith is just a breeder for him that can provide potential alliances. Lady had a good point.. what if it was Ragnar that bribed the law man? Ragnar didn't argue the ruling and even told his people that they'll honor the ruling. If Ragnar was smart, he should have put his brother down. The man is a dangerous killer that easily turned on everyone.

Finally got around to watching the first episode (though it's all for naught with the new one airing tonight so I'll be behind yet again) and honestly hope it pick up more as we get through the season. This baby drama and political crap is really dragging down my Viking bloodshed aspect.

On a happy note I'm glad Floki didn't die, would of quit watching it if he bit the bucket. Most important man in this show right now and the comedy relief at that. Gotta say, he definitely called the betrayal of Rollo. Quite honestly I think he should of been offed in the battle instead of facing a faux trial like that. I'm pretty sure Bjorn paid the law man because that's the same coin Ragnar gave him which makes sense. Ragnar can't be caught doing crap like this or he'll be offed by one of his men considering they all wanted his death so he used his son to do so (while explaining why he couldn't judge his brother). I see this biting Ragnar in the ass later on this season because Rollo has proven more than once he's not to be trusted.

Watching the season preview at the end of the episode it looks like Lagertha and Ragnar might be getting back together if the scenes can be trusted but I'm honestly glad she left him for what he did. Male heirs do mean everything to fathers in Viking culture but to sleep around on your wife just to get them is wrong. Plus the way he treated her I'm surprised she just didn't kill him (or cut you know what off) because we all know she could. I'm honestly surprised Bjorn left with her considering how close he was to his father (up until the whole sleeping with Kwenthrith) but I'm glad he went. He'd of been pretty damn miserable living with his father (plus, again from the previews, he looks like he became a pretty big bad ass, if who I'm assuming is him in the previews really is, by going with his mother).

Hopefully this season will prove just as good as the last and can't wait for tonight's episode (even if I won't get around to watching it till next week).

Edited by Strider Hiryu

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

This baby drama ... is really dragging down my Viking bloodshed aspect.

I think that's one of the reasons season one starts with a bang and then goes off weak. Plus my interest in the show isn't at it's peak because it's been a year since I watched a weakish show and there's either no time or better things to watch. That's another problem with this show for me, History shouldn't have waited a full year. I understand the production values are great and all but it's no Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones to hold your interest while there are no episodes airing. 

Edited by Pchan

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

4 years later.. good. I'm glad they time skipped. They have new ships and sailed west for some more raids, but it looks like they lost half the ships or more seeing as I can't remember how many ships they started with. Athelstan's character is so drastically different now from season 1. He became so immersed into their culture that he became part of it and it changed him to his core. Rollo almost seems pointless now.. But seeing as he is there and all the great warriors are off on a raid for up to a year, he could still betray Ragnar and try to take control of things.

I loved that when Ragnar went to the prophet, he was told that his sons would be more famous than him.. and that he was referring to Bjorn as the most successful one.

The preview for the next episode looks much more promising. It looks like the series will be picking up the pace too.

Ragnar still has compassion as he hid the child from the rest of his raid party. I thought that was interesting... but wtf? The time skip was only 4 years... It looks like Bjorn went from being 10 to 18 XD... I guess he was around 14 when he left.

Floki is such an ass XD but so spot on.

I admire Siggy's loyalty, and she is one of the most complex characters on this show. She has her own motives while still looking out for the best of her group that was once ruled by her husband. She is definitely an enigma.

Aalborg is so screwed... that dude is gonna die such a horrific death. XD

It was kind of stupid of Ragnar to leave his village almost completely unguarded, especially considering he was planning on being gone with his group for up to a year.

Lagertha must have been feeding Bjorn some growth hormones and steroids over those past 4 years. He got huge. XD

Rollo has really improved himself. He was completely self destructive before, but now he can become a much better character. I hope Lagertha popped one his testies with that knee bash. XD

I really thought Athelstan was about to die in that last scene.

it was good to see Ragnar and Bjorn reunited. And what Lagertha had to do to convince her new husband to help clearly shows how much she still loves Ragnar. As for poor little princess Aslaug, who had to suffer the dirty conditions..geesh, I'm not liking her character anymore than how she started. She can learn a thing or two from Siggy and Lagertha...theres more to life than having babies...i hope they kill her off soon...frustrating to see her complaining...ok we get it, your father was Sigurd

This latest trend of 'Let's kill a character we find annoying or don't like' is pretty stupid imho. If it weren't for characters like that, why would you watch the show? Would you be interested in a story without a bad guy that gets you to feel some emotion towards the character or help you root for the good guy? Lets kill Rollo because he betrayed his brother and this and that, what an ass! Lets kill Ragnar because he can't be loyal to his faithful loving woman and is being annoying with his playboy ways. Imagine how lame Game Of Thrones would be without the Lannisters, Tywin, Tyrion or Joffrey or Jaime. How about we watch a TV show about a happy farming family with no water drought or adversity and see how interesting that is haha! 

Jokes aside, the cinematography's still great which is a pleasure to watch. I'm not vested in the story as much as before because of the historical inaccuracies and the predictability of the story. It's not in my 'wow' TV show list, rather 'casual watch' list. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I love this show. :D Hell, I love any show that makes me hate or love the characters they're portraying. If a show can do that, then they have good actors and writing IMO. ^_^ I could care less if they win an award for their work or sit next to George Clooney at the oscars its still damn good entertainment to me. :|

This was a good fighting episode. Bjorn almost lost his life during that push attack. Ragnar is a fool for thinking he could still choose to have Lagertha there with him. Athelstan.. that poor bastard. It looks like King Ecbert wants to convert him back to christianity.. but then again hes probably just using him to learn more about his enemies, and then trade him back to Ragnar later on for something valuable. I'm wondering if they put some drugs in his food to cause his hallucinations.. but then again, he was recently crucified.. maybe hes having some PTSD and mental issues from that.

He was hallucinating before he was captured with the bible Floki gave him. I think the mass scene was excellent. He was seeing how similar the rituals between the vikings and Christians were and rejected the bread. The hallucinations is his inner conflict.

Did I miss something? What was Aslaug's prophecy on baring another son? Could it be that she dies in child birth? The seer is definitely one of my favorite characters, as little screen time that he gets. Jarl Borg, Ragnar, and Earl Harleson respected him despite if they disliked what he had to say. Telling Ragnar it was not his choice to make will probably mean one of them dies.

This leads me to Jarl Borg. By the preview for next week, it seems that his new wife has died, holding her skull and asking it questions means he has lost his marbles completely. He already isn't trustworthy, but now he is completely unstable. I think he will end up killing Aslaug as some kind of vengeance later down the road while she bares another son for Ragnar... after all Jarl Borg's wife was pregnant when he left her.

Horik is a buffoon. He seems to be a terrible king. Ragnar ran things until he had to leave Wessex, and now he wants to use Jarl Borg again after fighting with him, making a pact, and then turning his back on him? I'd have to side with Jarl Borg on this one. If I were him, I'd be telling them to f*** off.

I love Ecbert's character so far. Asking Athelstan about what should be done with the woman accused of being unfaithful was telling about his character. Christian law was absurdly oppressive to women during this time, and I think Ecbert can see how bullshit that is. Athelstan learned a lot of viking culture while he was with Ragnar, and I think the fact that Ragnar acknowledged him as a free man left that impression on him which leads to his conflict with Christianity. Horik is going to want vengeance on Ecbert, but I think Ragnar is going to want to reenter what ever deal Ecbert had in mind.... which will probably be attacking Aelle for more territory.

When coming to understand that one religious delusion, in this case blood sacrifice, is interchangeable with another, cognitive dissonance falls apart. He shows an almost contempt for the bread, crumbles it and throws it down. Its insignificant compared to what he has seen. When he tries to get back in with jebuz a devil attacks, but when he really goes looking for the thing it is not there; another delusion confronted.  I vote Athelstan will be the first to go full blown atheist. I'm also wondering what he is eating/drinking. Contaminated food made people trip their balls off and alcohol was safer to drink then the water.

Aslaug named the baby after her father and his, Ragnar has a "snake in his eye",  Lagertha. He still isn't over his first wife and Aslaug is letting Lagertha know that she knows. 

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

This was a powerful episode. Lagertha stabbed that bastard in the eye. He deserved it. I was a bit surprised that one of his own men would finish him off tho. I'm guessing nobody has liked him for quite a while. Then again, Vikings are all about fighting and raiding, but their king sits on his ass getting drunk while his wife goes to war. If Sigvard never gave her permission to go to Ragnar's aid, then all those men that went with her into combat defied him as well. Looks like Lagertha will be their Earl now.

Siggy.. wtf. She could have walked away from that. I thought Rollo found out and went to go kill him. Instead he went after Jarl Borg.. it confused me at first until they showed it was Ragnar's plan. If hes going to execute him blood eagle style... damn, I don't think they'll show that on TV. O_O

Athelstan and Ecbert are atheists! O_O

Siggy really lowered herself. I'm on an emotional roller coaster about her. She went from spoiled brat, to humble servant, to devious conspirator, to a whore bag with no self dignity.

Horik continues to be a clown... this guy is so clueless. Why keep flip flopping? I was hoping Ragnar would kill them both in his main hall.

Best quote of the night:

Siggy: Can you keep a secret?

Floki: HEH!!!.... no...

LMAO!! XD

I'll have to go back and watch the eps again but I think the guy that killed Sigvard went to war with Lagertha. If so he's seen her prove herself worthy of Valhalla while her shitty husband just sits around pissing and moaning. It is in his best interest spiritually to follow a warrior if he wants reward in the afterlife. Sending in three dudes to beat the crap out of your sleeping wife is some pretty bad form, the tension of the feast goers at the sight of Lagertha all fucked up is palpable. He got what he fuckin deserved as far as I'm concerned. 

Invading a former allies turf and then expecting him to blow it off is more bad form. I was kind of hoping Rollo was going to kill Horik, pretty obvious Siggy hates him. Maybe she'll get fed up and start stabbing eyes herself :P  Hopefully Jarl Borg will get his come upins as long as asshole Horik doesn't get in the fuckin way. Ragnar wont need him if there are ships and shipwrights in Lagertha's territories (we know she has the man power).

I called the atheist thing last week ROTFLMFAO!!!!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Thats a good point about Lagertha. Assuming she now has control of those lands and people now, she can easily forge an alliance with Ragnar and send people to start colonizing with him. I'm surprised Ragnar doesn't hold a grudge against Horik. Seeing as it was Horik that forced him to break the initial alliance with Jarl Borg, which in turn caused Ragnar's lands to be invaded.. which also lead to Ragnar returning and leaving his men behind.. and once he left, they all got slaughtered, but Horik survives. How convenient for Horik. All the losses Ragnar has had to deal with can all be traced back to that man. Perhaps with reinforcements from Lagertha, he won't see the need in having to keep Horik around anymore.