DeathscytheX

The Walking Dead Season 4 Episode Discussion [Possible Spoilers]

The Pit scene was epic. In the graphic novel the Gov was just a evil screwed up ass... This Gov just seems to have mentally lost it. He was once a good guy and somewhere down he still is, but he's so screwed up that he still holds a grudge against Rick's group. I can see the little girl dying sending him over the edge again... Carol might be in that camp.

Ever since the little heart to heart Daryl and Martinez had, I've wanted to like hi characater. He seems to have some moral justice about him. The Gov is going to end up killing him in the end I predict. They might have their own little Shane/Rick moment.

I can see the next 2-3 episodes focusing on the Gov, and it would be a nice breather from the Prison. If the little girl dies, it will be some type of accident caused by Rick's group, and its going to lead to a big showdown I bet. Maybe Carl puts a bullet in her. XD

*Cue Epic scene from the comic that features a character that never appeared in the show*

From the Atlanta group before Hershel's farm, twins lose there mom and dad. Dale and Andrea take them in and one of the boys kills his own brother because hes f'ed up in the head... no one knows how to handle so they lock him in a van, and Carl takes care of it at night. The secret is kept between Rick and Tyrese forever. :P

wd014.jpg

carlvan0002.jpg

carlvan0003.jpg

Bens_death.jpg

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Well there goes Martinez. I wasn't expecting him to die like that.. but I had a feeling the governor was going to kill everyone in charge and take leadership of the group at some point. I thought the girl was going to get killed by the walker and make the governor snap.. but nope.. Instead now that he has a group again he instantly goes back to attack the prison.. again? wtf. Its like a repeat of the end of season 3. What is interesting is that it looks like the governor isn't the one trying to take down the walls of the prison. If he wants to get in there for defense, it wouldn't make any sense for him to set walkers onto the place.. oh, and still no Carol.

I'm surprised the next episode shows him talking to Rick at the fence. Rick could just tell everyone how much of a psycho he is and cause confusion in the attacking group. These last 2 episodes were pretty slow. Sure they explained what happened to the governor after the prison attack, but I think it'd have been more interesting to see what happened to Martinez and the other guy instead.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

In the comic Martinez got ran over by Rick using an RV. I was thinking the Gov was going to do the same thing, but it ended up being pretty lame instead. lol. I like the episode. There will be some deaths in the mid season finale to make room for new characters I predict, but we probably wont get the satisfaction of seeing the Gov get his until the end of the season... They didnt really handle the prison story very well, but in all honestly, it ended kinda lackluster in the comic also.

I want to see the Gov. die next week or when they come back and focus on something new... I don't want the rest of the season to be about trying to take back the prison, the gov gets killed, and then they're like "Oh there is so much damage here its not worth staying"

New prediction: Carol doesn't come back until next season or maybe 2 seasons, Hershel dies next week.

The prison doesn't work because nobody thought to re-enforce the fence until it was too late. I would have used trucks, trailers, RV's etc parked all along the inner fence so no amount of pushing would bend it over nor could a truck just drive right through.

Its stupid and dangerous to raise livestock where you live and get your water. Apparently nobody studied the previous plagues that knocked human numbers down; bird and swine flu hello?

How long have they been at the prison and nobody thought to go grab solar panels and batteries so they could have some electricity?

A phone book will tell you where everything you need is..... 

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

They could have had a crap load of cheap solar lights and had plenty of light everywhere. Its amazing that they found a correct fitting prosthetic leg for Hershel but they didn't stock up on anti-biotics. I did notice that the grass was actually growing tall in many places, while in season 2 the grass was perfectly cut. XD

In the end, Rick screwed everyone by becoming a pig farmer. He let in the disease all because he wanted some bacon. :nonono:

Goodbye Governor, we won't miss you. :P

Poor poor Hershel. That was brutal. I had a feeling he'd die, but not by beheading. O_O

Looks like the prison group is a handful of people now, maybe 15.. no prison to stay at and no base camp.. but with most of the attacking group dead, we won't have to worry about Team Daryl/Rick having to help even more people.

To be fair, he was shot in the leg. Also remember that Tyrese has never fired a gun until him and Sasha became wall guards in Woodbury.... although the little girl hitting that women dead center in the face was pretty funny... i LOLed.

I think Hershel dying served two purposes... One he was a handicap to the group when they are on the run, and two, they had to make you hate the governor enough to savor his death... lets face it, most fans were happy that Andrea died. The comic book method would never be able to be shown on TV, and its why the Gov had both is arms as you pointed out. :P

Comic Spoilers on Gov

In the Graphic novel it was Rick, Michonne, and Glenn that discovered Woodbury and when they are captured the Gov violently rapes Michonne multiple times in an effort to find out where their base camp was. She escapes eventually, finds the governor in his quarters and brutalizes him using a power drill to screw... not nail... screw him to a board... scoops his eye out with a spoon, and then chops his arm off. By this time, the Gov's men break in and find out whats going on, and she flees as the group escapes back to the prison... Bob, who was a very minor character, and a member of Woodbury in the comic... but also a drunk saves the Gov's life from Michonne's mutilation.

I hope Judith is really gone.... I can smell cliche all over this.... the baby is missing, but someone saved her... and then que the baby crying and drawing attention to the walkers ever few episodes -_-;

They had to kill Hershel off.. There would be no way he could out run walkers.. He moved around good enough on the show thanks to his prosthetic, but if he had to run, he'd be dead. And the baby.. they might as well have a yipping dog with them giving away their location in the middle of the night. If baby Judith is dead, then they'd have taken out the two things that would have screwed them the most in a horde of zombies. I have a feeling the baby is still alive tho. Those kids probably took her out of the baby carrier because it was too heavy. Maybe they comically used its as an attack against a zombie, by throwing it on a walker's head while they escaped, thus leaving the blood stains in it.

The scene with the baby carrage was emotionally gripping, it would be such a waste to have her still alive... Carl losing it and Rick having to pull himself back together to get them out of there was on of my top 5 scenes in that category.

It would be like Sophia getting cured

Season two sucked, but it did have some serious emotional deaths.

I figure in another 2 seasons, we'll all look back on Season 3 and 4 and remember Hershel as much as we remember Dale now.

Theres what.. 5 people left from the original group now?

Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol and Glen.. I figure at least 1 of these people will survive the entire series, but then again.. maybe not.

If Daryl dies, it wont be until the very last season.. perhaps the mid season finale or like they did with Sayid on LOST... like the 3rd to last EP. He'll probably be saving Rick or Carl doing it. They aren't going to risk losing viewers, he is undoubtedly the most popular character. He has 683,000 followers on instagram, and all he does is post the weirdest shit, like wearing a horse mask, or licking a horse mask.... its pretty funny... he also posts fan mail from kids.. thats pretty cool. bigbaldhead is his instagram page.

Rick, Carl, Daryl, are the 3 that are going to last the longest Sasha and Beth are probably next to go. I already know 3 new characters from the comic will debut eventually via comic con. I hope Tyrese sticks around longer... hes not as bad ass as he was in the comic, but he still has a chance to be... Daryl really has taken that role.

Bob is hard to gauge. I like him, and I hope he lasts a while... he's the doctor of the group now so that gives him some value.

It does look like Daryl has some immunity from death considering his huge fan base. I hope Carl lasts the longest. I didn't care for his character at first, but as hes been aging with the show, I like the fact that hes gone so far.. first he was a little kid, a momma's boy, zombie apocalypse survivor, zombie killer, human killer.. I'm really interested in seeing where his character goes and what his fate will be.

Dumb season, I expected the ending ... Daryl dies, the series dies because of all the middle-aged fangirls. They gave him the loudest cheers at the Comic-con panel I was at.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Hes too small. I thought it was a good ep. I liked the little bit they delved into Michonne's past... they never have done that in the comic so far. I think it might be in an side story mini comic that was given out during a free comic book day. I kinda wish they'd just get it all out there though on the TV show.

Rick accepted that Carl isn't a helpless child anymore. He can take care of himself to a point and doesn't need to be babied. This is good, now hopefully we don't have to listen to them bicker about it all the time... the "Hey asshole!! Hey shithead!!" part was hysterical XD.

Next weeks episode seems to be full of suspense. There was a bit of tension there with Carl and the walkers, but it's hard to believe they'd do anything to him right now. Rick, Michonne, Carl, Maggie, and Obviously Daryl are all safe... most likely Glenn as well... everyone else is chop liver and can be expended at any time. 3 or more will have to die by the end of this season.

Oh and the Hershel head at the beginning was gut wrenching... poor Michonne. They really couldn't have picked a better actress for her... but I'm always amazed how different she looks without those fake dreds when I see it her instagram. lol

I have a feeling that Glenn might die soon. Carl having difficulties with the walkers is kind of surprising to me at this point. He is all set with a gun holster and he is a mostly good shot. But with limited bullets, why doesn't everyone carry a large knife with them like Andrea did? Carl had no other weapons than a gun with a half clip in it.

And who has a massive can of pudding like that? lmao. XD

Dumb episode with very little happening. This's where I feel a series may have the potential to move the plot somewhere but they know they have a fanbase and they can take liberties to slow it down. Yeah sure, let's spend 15 or more seconds to show Caaahhhuurrlll sitting on a roof enjoying some chocolate. Yeah, lets show Michone walking in the woods for a few minutes imagining things, people will LOVE it! : / *sigh* 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

There are very few television series that I would call art. Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead are art. With this medium the writing, directing, acting all have to be the tip of the top. I look at each episode, season then series over all. It has to be a thought provoking and emotionally impacting story, the delivery has to be amazing. Not an easy thing to do on the small screen.

I think its awesome they open w Michonne. You see her transition in the ep from someone willing to blend in w the dead to someone who wants to live w people. Her flashback dream sequence was wicked, her first pets, her child, the beginning of the reasons she traveled alone for so long.Flashbacks and conversations are the only way we're going to get back story. She was so different before the zombie plague.  We now know she cried holding Judith because she is mourning her own child. Seeing her walker double made her realize that even if being with the living can be painful its better then being dead emotionally. After slaughtering the herd she goes right back to Rick's tracks and follows them to Carl who she has bonded with. She is so frigin happy to see the kid alive (and I bet she has his shoe)

I imagine Rick saw Michonne w the shoe through the peek hole. When he turns and flops on the couch with that genuine happy amused smile!!! OMG haven't seen that since he found Laurie and Carl...

When Carl yells at his unconscious father... its all shit I woulda said to Rick myself. He had become useless and was dragging others down with him. If he had killed the gov at the start Hershel Andrea Milton Judith (?) could still be alive. He was weak when it came to dealing with external threats. He was a fucking asshole when it came to issues inside the prison. He was a douchenado to Michonne when they first met, she has saved him and his kid repeatedly. She's the only one that went looking for the gov after the shit went down at the prison. And then there is Carol. He was intimidated by her ability to adapt, teach, lead the group and do the hard things alone if necessary (from getting water to burning infected bodies). She found her bravery and Rick lost his so he took his crap out on her. Sending her away was a rape/death sentence, an utterly malicious move he tried to write off as protecting her from Tyreese. The ultimate bullshit was inviting the gov in after kicking Carol out. Rick is broken and has been since he killed Shane.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

There are very few television series that I would call art. Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead are art. With this medium the writing, directing, acting all have to be the tip of the top. I look at each episode, season then series over all. It has to be a thought provoking and emotionally impacting story, the delivery has to be amazing. Not an easy thing to do on the small screen.

I think its awesome they open w Michonne. You see her transition in the ep from someone willing to blend in w the dead to someone who wants to live w people. Her flashback dream sequence was wicked, her first pets, her child, the beginning of the reasons she traveled alone for so long.Flashbacks and conversations are the only way we're going to get back story. She was so different before the zombie plague.  We now know she cried holding Judith because she is mourning her own child. Seeing her walker double made her realize that even if being with the living can be painful its better then being dead emotionally. After slaughtering the herd she goes right back to Rick's tracks and follows them to Carl who she has bonded with. She is so frigin happy to see the kid alive (and I bet she has his shoe)

I imagine Rick saw Michonne w the shoe through the peek hole. When he turns and flops on the couch with that genuine happy amused smile!!! OMG haven't seen that since he found Laurie and Carl...

When Carl yells at his unconscious father... its all shit I woulda said to Rick myself. He had become useless and was dragging others down with him. If he had killed the gov at the start Hershel Andrea Milton Judith (?) could still be alive. He was weak when it came to dealing with external threats. He was a fucking asshole when it came to issues inside the prison. He was a douchenado to Michonne when they first met, she has saved him and his kid repeatedly. She's the only one that went looking for the gov after the shit went down at the prison. And then there is Carol. He was intimidated by her ability to adapt, teach, lead the group and do the hard things alone if necessary (from getting water to burning infected bodies). She found her bravery and Rick lost his so he took his crap out on her. Sending her away was a rape/death sentence, an utterly malicious move he tried to write off as protecting her from Tyreese. The ultimate bullshit was inviting the gov in after kicking Carol out. Rick is broken and has been since he killed Shane.

You should really consider picking up the graphic novel, as you have captured what the TV show is trying to replicate from the books. I've read it in volumes, but there are compendiums 1 and 2 now that cover the first 16 volumes. I'm tempted to subscribe to the issues... but I'd just get pissed off on how short they were compared to the volumes I was consuming by comparison.

This episode was ripped straight from the graphic novel verbatim minus 1-2 minor details.

I do want to read it!!!!!  but I've been forcing myself to stay away until the show is a little further along so I can read the stuff slowly so it doesn't catch up to the show. I want to be able to enjoy both tellings of the story without my "the book was better!" getting in the way lol.

When visual media is done right you can extrapolate volumes of information in one conversation. Body language, tone, setting etc. Art by its very nature is open to interpretation. I like that they have deliberately done things different between tv show and graphic novel. When a Stephen King book gets movied up he usually screws w the ending somehow so it is different then the written piece. When you switch mediums with a story the delivery of some things has to change. You can't read a chapter of back story, you have to do a flashback or have the characters talk about it to deliver that information to the audience. Story format and script format are miles apart. The point is telling a good story worthy of being shared and retold indefinitely.  

BSG pulled off the whole post apocalypse story brilliantly in mutherfuckin space. They changed some things from the original, the big one was making Starbuck a woman. It worked amazing. There was great balance in the show; Bill commanded the military, Laura the citizens. Guias is pushed to greatness by  Caprica 6.Lee outranks Kara but she runs those pilots and he leaves to go into politics.Character growth and relationships on the show was unlike anything I'd ever seen on tv. Series ended well, we got closure and cried a lot. As the show went on a bigger budget gave us awesome battle scenes. Bear McCreary did all the music for BSG and is also doing TWD, SHIELD etc.  

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Thats a good approach. I borrowed the first couple volumes from a friend at the end of season 3, I was borrowing 3 at a time until he just gave me all of them and I plowed through from 6-18 in one sitting. I couldn't get enough. I'm ahead of the TV series, and while I do like the graphic novel better. I love the TV show almost as much. I respect the delivery within the bounds they are confined in. The best decision they made was having Kirkman (the creator) heavily involved with the TV series. Honestly some of the events in the book wouldn't even be suitable for HBO or a movie... 

The best part about watching the TV show first, is that you read the graphic novel in the voices you know and love from the TV series. XD