DeathscytheX

Don't stand Xbox One on its side?

Posted Image

What has become a series of PR blunders leading up to the Launch of Xbox One, You might think you were reading an article from the Onion when Microsoft warned its potential customers to stand the console up vertically at your own risk because it may cause damage. Um, what? Something that became a fad last gen for all consoles is apparently not recommended for what Microsoft touted as the future of entertainment media. Here is the direct quote from Albert Panello, senior director of product management and planning at Xbox:

"We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk… it wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both".

He went on to say that 80% of 360 owners do indeed have their console in the vertical position. Its also worth noting that Wii, PS3 and PS4 have slot loading drives and they stand on their side with no problem. If you google image search Xbox One you'll be hard pressed to find an image of the console on its side that's not a Photoshopped sized comparison chart. It will be interesting to see what happens when people have their X1's stacked on its side... Will MS run a PR campaign? Will they put a sticker on the console with a warning? Time will tell. One has to wonder if this was a last minute discovery during testing that will be fixed on future models.

For more detail on this check out gamespots' article: http://uk.gamespot.c...n-risk-6414731/

Click here to view the article

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

If they were smart, they should have designed the console to not have flat surfaces on the sides.. they could have put some ridges on the ends or made it a curvature so people can't even try to stand it up on it's side. Instead they have to make an announcement like this. -_-

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

From the comments sections I have read, the general consensus is that MS just shaved some development cost by not engineering the slot loader to be stable in vertical. Then again maybe they just don't know how since they've used tray loaders on both consoles they've made. This is probably the worst case of bad judgement since the original Xbox controller.

this is seriously an issue with people??? what the fuck are they just grasping at everything jsut so they can bash it now?  I don't think I've EVER kept my systems vertical cause its just plain dangerous to me cause it has a bigger chance of just falling over and breaking from any shock.

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Its bad when even Nintendo can do something more successful than you. XD

BEHOLD!!!!!!!

Xbox_controller_diagram.jpg

That controller is massive looking. O_O

this is seriously an issue with people??? what the fuck are they just grasping at everything jsut so they can bash it now?  I don't think I've EVER kept my systems vertical cause its just plain dangerous to me cause it has a bigger chance of just falling over and breaking from any shock.

You have a good point.. many people are bashing the xbox one for everything they possibly can now. Did you see where people are complaining about the green boxes they're being shipped in? I'm sure it'll be a great console, but people are bashing it like it was a sponsor of Paula Dean.

If anything, its good that a warning about not standing the xbox one on it's side is coming out now before it becomes the new red ring of death complaint.

It sorta is an issue, because unless they make a big announcement instead of telling gamespot about the possible problems, a lot of people are going to experience malfunctions. Microsoft said it themselves that 80% of their users do this (Who knows how they actually know this). While I never had my 360 on its side, Just about all of my friends do. I posted this link on one of their facebook pages today and they thanked me because they planned on putting their X1 on its side. lol

You have a good point.. many people are bashing the xbox one for everything they possibly can now. Did you see where people are complaining about the green boxes they're being shipped in? I'm sure it'll be a great console, but people are bashing it like it was a sponsor of Paula Dean.

Remember the unnecessarily massive boxes PSX games came in before they went to jewel cases? XD I think only Sega Genesis game boxes were bigger, but at least it was for a thick cartridge.

I think the bashing is snow balling form the the negativity at E3. It certainly is reminiscent of PS3s launch and their doctored Killzone 2 trailer that rivals this next gen coming up in visuals. They caught hell for that so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOFvsOFhJM

Speaking about possible console design issues, the PS4 has a flat top to it unlike the PS3.. I wonder if people will stack their PS3 or other consoles on top of it.. the PS4 could get overheated or possibly kick off enough heat to damage something stacked on it. Imagine a Wii sitting on a PS4 and bursting into flames from its awesome power. lmao.. but that would be so damn dangerous.

I hope the PS4 isn't anything like the PS3 in heat production. The damn thing was a nice space heater in the winter time. XD. 360 as well. I remember sweating my ass off grinding through COD ranks for hours. I'll take a loud ass console with 40 fans blowing at once than a quiet furnace. :P

Well seeing as PS4 is still sticking to an internal PSU they probably will have heat issues somewhat at launch again.

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I guess I'm lucky I got the slim model. O_O I think the hottest PSU I've ever felt is the Gamecubes. That thing was about 1/4 of the size of the entire console and it would heat up pretty hot after a couple hours. I never noticed until I went to unplug something and I noticed the heat kicking off it. My laptop PSU has never even been that hot.

The PS4 is even smaller than the slim. It will be interesting to see what it does in the heat department.

post-4-0-57085700-1379884712_thumb.jpg

Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/size-really-matters-ps3-360-xb1-ps4-xb1-ps4-wiiu-comparison-1938006/

The venting on the back is definitely ample.