Sledgstone

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (spoilers)

I initially started this off as a status update: http://www.ancientclan.com/statuses/user/1-sledgstone/?status_id=552

I didn't realize this game was going to be as big as it is. I got the hang of the game play and I'm now 17 hours into the game. I think I accomplished everything I could do on Taris.. I rescued Bastila after doing a swoop race for the Hidden Bek team, I killed 2 bounties and saved the rest, I got the rakghoul serum, gave it to the doctor, got a new version of it, saved 2 people in the lower city and saved a republic solder with the serum also, just to have the guy run off and get killed by rakghouls anyway. I found all the journals and helped the lower city residents on their quest to the promised land..

Did anyone pay that ridiculous $2000 credits for the droid? I was able to persuade her to give it to me for free..

I escaped off Taris after killing Davik and we stole the Ebon Hawk. Thats a nice looking ship.. but now the surface of Taris has been destroyed! wth.. Its as if everything I accomplished there was wiped out. With the only benefit of my exploits being the few team members I brought with me, my light points and hopefully the attack didn't pierce thru to the lower city and those poor bastards finally made it to the promise land.

I killed Bendark Starkiller on my first try. That guy was leaps and bounds over the other duelists. I lobbed half my grenades at the guy, used all my medpacks and then bum rushed him with my dual swords.

Right now I'm at the Jedi council on Dantooine and I'm about to have a meeting with them about training me to be a jedi. This game is huge. Anyone know how long the jedi training stuff will take? Is Dantooine as big as Taris? Will I be on this planet for another 17 hours? XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

The training is really some cut scenes and choosing your style of level up progression. Screw paying $2000! XD now that you're off Taris, everytime you play through again is such a hassle because you know all your deeds are in vien since the planet gets hazed and they all die.  So much for all that walking around for the rakgoul cure. :P

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

As DX said it's just some cut scenes and you get to pick which Jedi branch you want to train in (Consular, Guardian, Sentinel). I don't believe I ever paid for the droid on either of my characters (played twice through light side and once dark). Honestly I was pissed when Taris got bombed back to the stone age after all that work. Damn you Malak. Was interesting to see what happened to Taris in TOR though.

Dantooine has quite a few side quests to do (as well as picking up another companion (if you choose too)). Not quite as long as Taris (in fact most planets won't be as long as Taris (though Tatooine can feel like an eternity)) but it can take awhile if you choose to do everything the planet has to offer.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Yeah I was delighted to return to Taris in TOR.

Manaan is pretty lengthy, plus one of the side quests require you to go back to other planets if you had already been to them, the trial side quest requires a certain character to be in your party. I think that and Korriban were my favorites. Tatooine was up there too. Kashyyyk not so much.

BTW Sledge, make sure you explore Datooine really well, there is a crystal cave out in those medows with a LOT of saber upgrades. Playing light side, I'd say upgrading Force Cure to Force Heal, and Force Push to Force Wave are very beneficial... although force wirlwind is kinda stupid, its worth it for force wave. Force Valor to Master Valor is helpful as well.

Cool. I'm glad its just some cut scenes.. if I had to be somebody's padawan for 20 hours I would have been annoyed. XD

Are there certain characters that will only join my party based on my decisions? Or if I'm light or dark sided? What about Consular, Guardian, Sentinel? Which do you guys recommend?

Taris is just such a pain XD  Every time i had to replay it i jsut got the mod that lets me skip it altogether and just gives me choices on specific parts to get your stats light/dark etc up to where it would be

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Cool. I'm glad its just some cut scenes.. if I had to be somebody's padawan for 20 hours I would have been annoyed. XD

Are there certain characters that will only join my party based on my decisions? Or if I'm light or dark sided? What about Consular, Guardian, Sentinel? Which do you guys recommend?

Jedi Classes

All Jedi classes automatically receive Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Lightsaber, Jedi Defense (ability to deflect blaster attacks) and Jedi Sense (+2 Defense) at 1st Jedi level. They all also receive Improved Jedi Sense (+4 Defense) at 6th level and Master Jedi Sense (+6 Defense) at 12th level. Also, all player characters keep as class skills the class skills of their base class. So, a Scoundrel/Consular would have all skills as class skills.

Force Points

In addition to the points received each level, a Jedi also gains points equal to his or her level multiplied by his or her Wisdom and Charisma modifiers. These additional points will vary based on your current Wisdom and Charisma. For example: 12th level character with a Wisdom of 15 (+2 modifier) equips the Circlet of Saresh (Wisdom +5) and now has a Wisdom of 20 (+5 modifier) and gains 36 ( 5-2*12 ) force points.

Jedi Guardian

The Guardian is the Jedi equivalent of the Soldier. They get the most Vitality Points, highest attack bonuses and fewest Force Points of the Jedi classes. Guardians should concentrate on building up melee combat skills and should probably choose to dual-wield (either two sabers or a double saber). Use your force powers mostly for personal improvement (buffing powers, such as Speed, Armor, Valor, etc.) or, especially if darkside, some damage-dealing powers (Lightning, Kill, etc.) You will be relying mostly on your abilities in hand-to-hand combat rather than force powers.

• Vitality: 10/level
  • Force points: 4/level
  • Skill points: 1 + 1/2 INT modifier per level
  • Class skills: Awareness, Persuade, Treat Injury
  • Feats: Approximately 1 every 2 levels, though they are not evenly distributed; Guardians automatically receive Force Jump (1st level), Improved Force Jump (6th level) and Master Force Jump (12th level)
  • Force powers: 1 per level, 2 at 1st level
  • Saving throws: Fortitude & Reflex high, Will low
Jedi Sentinel

Sentinels are a "tweener" class. Their combat abilities are lower than a Guardian, while their force abilities are lower than a Consular. Another way of looking at it: their combat abilities are higher than a Consular and their force abilities are higher than a Guardian. They receive marginally more skill points (2 rather than 1) and are best played with a Scout or Scoundrel base class and an INT of 14. They thus become the "skill-meisters" of the Jedi world, able to continue slicing computers, picking locks or recovering-and-deploying mines (depending on base class and skill selection). They are sort of a jack-of-all trades class that depends more heavily on companions; but, when they do have to go solo, they generally have more options than the other classes.

• Vitality: 8/level
  • Force points: 6/level
  • Skill points: 2 + 1/2 INT modifier per level
  • Class skills: Awareness, Persuade, Treat Injury
  • Feats: 1 per 3 levels; Sentinels automatically receive Force Immunity: Fear (1st level), Force Immunity: Stun (6th level) and Force Immunity: Paralysis (12th level)
  • Force powers: 1 per level, 2 at 1st level
  • Saving throws: Fortitude & Reflex high, Will low
Jedi Consular

The Consular is the force-stud of the Jedi classes. They recieve more force points, more force powers and have a higher Difficulty Class (DC) for their force powers. This is not to say Consulars cannot fight hand-to-hand, but their lack of vitality means they depend more on Defense or freezing their enemies from a distance before closing in. Consular characters will want to concentrate on Wisdom and Charisma, with Dexterity (for Defense and attack) a strong second. Strength, Constitution and Intelligence generally suffer. Light Side Consulars in particular, due to some LS-only Wisdom-boosting items and the LS-Mastery +3 Charisma bonus, can pretty much knock everything (even force-resistant beasts) out with their force powers. The Consular is a good class to take "early" (i.e. get 16 or so levels by not levelling on Taris) so you will receive even more force powers and points.

• Vitality: 6/level
  • Force points: 8/level
  • Skill points: 1 + 1/2 INT modifier per level
  • Class skills: Awareness, Computer Use, Demolitions, Persuade, Repair, Treat Injury
  • Feats: 1 per 3 levels; Consulars automatically receive Force Focus (1st level), Improved Force Focus (6th level) and Master Force Focus (12th level)
  • Force powers: 5 per 4 levels
  • Saving throws: Fortitude & Will high, Reflex low

http://old-republic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=214&Itemid=163

The short end of it: Guardian gets way more feat progression and is heavy melee while Consular has more force points to spend and way less feats.... Sentinel really isnt a middleground IMO, you get the same limited feats progression as Consular, which is a deal breaker for me. Force meters run out, melee doesn't, I've played all 3 and I prefer Guardian dual wield. 

Light or Dark doesn't necessarily decide who is on your crew. You'll have the same opportunity at the same characters, but I have killed one when we first met and they never joined my party. 

I always prefered playing the Sentinel since it's my play style (in fact my first play through was a Sentinel), plus the sneak attack bonuses they get in combat made me feel more powerful (especially since I was all melee and only used Force Heal). Guardian always felt like easy mode to me since it's OP due to it's strengths in melee combat (plus my fastest play through was on a Guardian). Consular just made me feel week, especially considering I did it as dark side (death field only heals so much and I just couldn't use health packs fast enough, made for a lot of frustration on my part).

Light/Dark only plays a role on how you affect your crew (not as much as in did in 2 however), not on who will join you. I believe I killed that companion as well, twice and completely by accident. First time through I didn't know they could join you and second time I did in for kicks (didn't really like that companion). Some companions like you more pending on what side you play as (like Ordo likes you Dark whereas Bastila likes you Light side as examples) but that's really all it does for you.

I always prefered playing the Sentinel since it's my play style (in fact my first play through was a Sentinel), plus the sneak attack bonuses they get in combat made me feel more powerful (especially since I was all melee and only used Force Heal). Guardian always felt like easy mode to me since it's OP due to it's strengths in melee combat (plus my fastest play through was on a Guardian). Consular just made me feel week, especially considering I did it as dark side (death field only heals so much and I just couldn't use health packs fast enough, made for a lot of frustration on my part).

Light/Dark only plays a role on how you affect your crew (not as much as in did in 2 however), not on who will join you. I believe I killed that companion as well, twice and completely by accident. First time through I didn't know they could join you and second time I did in for kicks (didn't really like that companion). Some companions like you more pending on what side you play as (like Ordo likes you Dark whereas Bastila likes you Light side as examples) but that's really all it does for you.

Dont read Sledge, you're not at this part yet. :P

Oh, Bastila LIKED you when you were bad! I'll never forget all the flirt options and how hysterical they were along with her overly defensive reactions XD

Yeah, Bastila could be very entertaining. Make sure you have her and the Twilik-what's-her-name in the same party for a while. That ends up just being funny. XD

As for which class, I usually ended up with Guardian. Heavy melee fighter, and the the Force Jump is just awesome! Make sure to explore every part of all the planets, there's some interesting side quests here and there.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Yeah, Bastila could be very entertaining. Make sure you have her and the Twilik-what's-her-name in the same party for a while. That ends up just being funny. XD

As for which class, I usually ended up with Guardian. Heavy melee fighter, and the the Force Jump is just awesome! Make sure to explore every part of all the planets, there's some interesting side quests here and there.

I love when Bastila and Canderous go at it too.

Yeah Guardian is pretty OP in 1....In the second one Sentinels are really really nasty 

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Dont read Sledge, you're not at this part yet. :P

Oh, Bastila LIKED you when you were bad! I'll never forget all the flirt options and how hysterical they were along with her overly defensive reactions XD

Oh I know. Believe me my dark side character made every attempt to flirt with her (he was the only male character I made). Hell the only time I ever got her to join me after Malak took her was with my dark side character (ended up killing her on my Sentinel)

Yea Sentinel/Watcher was extremely nasty in 2. Gah, talking about this makes me want to play it again. Sadly it doesn't play well on the 360 (damn crappy backwards compatibility) or at least on mine it doesn't.

I think I'll play as Guardian! Thanks for the input everyone. :D

Whats everyone's favorite team? And I noticed I can change everyone's fighting pattern.. Do you think default works best? Should I set someone for grenade use? What about support? Will my droid rush up to everyone to stun them? Maybe I should micromanage every encounter and choose everyone's actions.. but that feels like it would make the game take forever.

Yes! They had a good back and forth about force powers. XD

Whats everyone's favorite team? And I noticed I can change everyone's fighting pattern.. Do you think default works best? Should I set someone for grenade use? What about support? Will my droid rush up to everyone to stun them? Maybe I should micromanage every encounter and choose everyone's actions.. but that feels like it would make the game take forever.

Everyone plays differently. The first run through, I did the full melee Jedi, so I usually had Carth and either Mission or Jolee. Bastilla too, but I liked Jolee better in terms of what he can do. He's also the cranky old man Jedi and that's just awesome. (Make sure you keep talking to him so he'll tell you stories. I laughed so hard at some of them!) Anyhoo, it's always good to have at least one blaster in the party, and if you keep Carth leveled up and give him the best blasters, he's going to be the best at it. Mission does pretty good with blasters, and she's near essential if you're not going to level up demolition or slicing, but she's pretty weak and can go down quickly if you're not careful. Now, I actually prefered to go through as a blaster Jedi. I thought it was a lot more challenging, and then my party had to include either Bastilla or Juhani for melee. Really, just think about your fighting style and make sure you have at least one melee and one blaster in the party. And SOMEONE that can heal, either it's you or one of the other Jedi. Seriously, that will make things easier in some of the tougher fights! As for grenades, I only used them in a few spots. Mostly, if I was in a fight that was really tough and I had to restart it, when the fight started, I would pause and fill everyone's bar with grenades, and the procede as normal. Lobbing 12 grenades at the baddie right of the bat can be helpful! I didn't really use traps, either, except at the end which would be a spoiler so if you get there and want to know about it, I'll tell you. ^_^ I really didn't micromange hardly at all. Setting a behaivor type for each member is really all you need to do. The AI isn't always the best, but most of the time it's good enough you shouldn't have to micromanage them. Keep an eye on their health, because they kinda suck at watching their own health, but a quick character change to heal them is all that's needed.

For Force powers, even if I was light side, I still took all the Force Lightening tree powers. That's probally the most useful offensive power in the game (at least, IMO). Plus, running down a hallway spawning Lightening Storm and killing everything in my path just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. ^_^; But pick what you want now, because you can't level past 20.

And when you've finished it, there are some pretty good mods out there you can download, including a few story mods. It's not as extensive a community as Oblivion or Skyrim, but there are some good stuff out there. Makes multiple play-throughs more interesting to me.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Yes! They had a good back and forth about force powers. XD

Meh, I just left the AI on whatever was default for them. I only cared about my own ass XD

As for teammates I ran with Jolee (cranky old man Jedi, who could pass that up) and HK-47 on my Darkside character (I love HK-47, he's so freaking hilarious). As for my light side character I don't really remember who I ran with outside of Jolee. I kinda mixed and matched the other companion as I played through.

HK-47 is a must at all times through the entire play through as soon as you get him XD. Light or Dark he is hilarious, I'm so stubborn I always use him no matter what for his dialogue. Ill use Bastila and Canderous other than that.

Oh I know. Believe me my dark side character made every attempt to flirt with her (he was the only male character I made). Hell the only time I ever got her to join me after Malak took her was with my dark side character (ended up killing her on my Sentinel)

Yea Sentinel/Watcher was extremely nasty in 2. Gah, talking about this makes me want to play it again. Sadly it doesn't play well on the 360 (damn crappy backwards compatibility) or at least on mine it doesn't.

I got Bastila to join me lightside. You have to tell her you love her, which took me a long time to figure out after she kept cycling through the dialogue. I didn't want to kill her, and I knew it was against the jedi code to love, so I was trying to use logic to get her to join me and it wasn't working so I gave up and told her and she joined me. lol

with how this topic is going i say Sledge starts up a Twitch.tv account and play this while we watch XD

eppyomega.png

lmao! Would that work? haha. I was playing it all day today. XD

I have Mission setup pretty good with blasters, slicing and demolitions. Her stealth is so good, I usually make her go solo, stealth, set up a bunch of mines in front of enemies, then step back and do a single sniper shot, then run back to my team while all the enemies explode. XD

But now that I have myself and Bastila, those jedi abilities and attacks are far more effective. So I've been using Bastila and Canderous more often. I have most of Dantooine completed as far as I can tell. I took care of those Mandalorians, I returned whatsherface back from the dark side.. I resolved that Romeo and Juliet issue.. got some lightsaber crystals and now I'm about to check out some old ruins to see what that shared dream was all about.. I like Canderous's stories on the Ebon Hawk. Some of those battles sound epic! :D

And hes my drug dealer.. hey Canderous.. got some stims? :D

I got some extra lightsabers from the mandelorian ledaer after I killed him, but my upgrade prototype vibroblade is a better off hand weapon than a second lightsaber. I only had a couple good power up crystals and I gave Bastila's lightsaber one.. maybe after I find some better crystals I'll run with dual sabers. I like the fact that I can hit the "x" button on my keyboard to make him fling his lightsaber/melee weapons.. If I hit it repeatedly he kind of freaks out with it. XD and I glitched it a bit.. while he was freaking out with twirling his blades, instead of force jumping at the enemy, he force glided towards the enemy while twirling his sabers. lmao. I only got it to work once. It looked wicked stupid. XD

Bastila and Canderous is definitly a tank set up. The romeo and juliet issue is the woman obsessed with her droid right? Oh some of the dark side ways to go about that mission are great. XD Have you solved the mystery murder yet? Sounds like all you have left is that and the Sandral/Matale issue to resolve, outside visiting the ruins.

For Force powers, even if I was light side, I still took all the Force Lightening tree powers. That's probally the most useful offensive power in the game (at least, IMO). Plus, running down a hallway spawning Lightening Storm and killing everything in my path just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. ^_^; But pick what you want now, because you can't level past 20.

Wait a second.. I was thinking about this.. My character is level 7 solder, level 3 jedi.. Does this mean I only have 10 levels left!? or 17 more jedi ones.. Damn, if its only 10 I need to make some choices quick. Thanks for the head ups on the level cap.

Bastila and Canderous is definitly a tank set up. The romeo and juliet issue is the woman obsessed with her droid right? Oh some of the dark side ways to go about that mission are great. XD Have you solved the mystery murder yet? Sounds like all you have left is that and the Sandral/Matale issue to resolve, outside visiting the ruins.

lmao! I was referring to the Sandral/Matale issue because their kids eloped in the end. :lol: That woman obsessed with the droid was not right in the head. I found the droid that was trying to commit suicide and told him to go back to her and realize how sad she'd be without him.. he agreed and went back.. I saw him again and the droid said "Please kill me". That poor bastard. XD I solved that murder mystery.. I screwed it up at first, then reloaded my game and perfected it. I noticed theres a guy near the ebon hawk that is looking for some girl named Sarah that disappeared. I have a feeling I don't resolve that on Dantooine tho.. I don't see anyone mentioning her. Are there quests that span over multiple planets?

Are there quests that span over multiple planets?

Yes, if you ever find a NPC that has a unique name that not "patron" or "citizen" and they have a convo with you, but they dont offer a quest, it probably means you dont have the right character in your party to activate it. It doesnt give you a hint to what character you need. For instance, I visited a planet that required Jolee to activate a quest but I hadn't visited the planet i met him on yet. I played the game using a different order of planets the second time and came across it by chance. However there are some quests that occur that require you to travel to another planet, and it will let you know where to go. Character side story quests may occur like Jolee's or there is one for Bastila where she has to be in your party on a certain planet, and someone she knows runs into her while your walking around a non combat area and informs her of the quest, it takes place on a different planet.

I got Bastila to join me lightside. You have to tell her you love her, which took me a long time to figure out after she kept cycling through the dialogue. I didn't want to kill her, and I knew it was against the jedi code to love, so I was trying to use logic to get her to join me and it wasn't working so I gave up and told her and she joined me. lol

Yea well you don't get the love option when you're playing as a female so killing her was the only choice I had because she just wouldn't see logic. Damn you Bastila and not swinging both ways *shakes fist*

Yea Sledge it maxes at level 20 so in your case you'll have 7 levels soldier and when your done 13 levels of whatever Jedi class you chose (I'm assuming Guardian).