Myk JL

Sony + Panasonic = 300GB Disc?!

Sony, Panasonic Jointly Developing 300GB Optical Disc

That's a huge disc though by the time they release to public Hideo Kojima will need 2 for the next Metal Gear game.

.... Great.... Now I want a PS5 & the PS4 hasn't even been released yet.

This post has been promoted to an article

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

This is interesting, it reminded me of these articles I read about last month.. and completely forgot about until just now. :P

Researchers were able to make a new technique that allows them to store 1,000 TB on a single DVD.

http://phys.org/news/2013-06-storage-terabytes-dvd.html

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/130619/ncomms3061/full/ncomms3061.html

The Sony / Panasonic approach is obviously for commercial use which is bigger news because it is tech we'll actually be able to use at some point in the near future, while the 1,000 TB dvd will probably be a least decade or more away at this point.

Sony, Panasonic Jointly Developing 300GB Optical Disc

That's a huge disc though by the time they release to public Hideo Kojima will need 2 for the next Metal Gear game.

.... Great.... Now I want a PS5 & the PS4 hasn't even been released yet.

lmao. XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

If these Discs can hold more information & Gaming Developers are somehow able to use that large amount of space.... Well.... What would happen to Steam if Valve would still have to rely on Cable Internet by then?.... I doubt I'll have Fiber Optic Internet once something like these Discs are released to the market.

On the other hand I'm day dreaming about a single player remake of
The Elder Scrolls Arena

I just hope by then TVs don't advance any further.... 8K TVs are just pure over kill in size, definition, & price.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I wouldn't be surprised if within ten years, cell phone companies will have new "18G LTE - THI SIST HEFA STIS TSHIT EVER" networks that allow us all to to download at 1GB per second. And if it gets to that, then cell phone companies will be the new broadband companies. Everyone will get rid of road runner and comcast and get Verizon data plans. And it won't have to be just at home either.. their networks are advancing enough that the entire nation will basically be one giant wifi network. We won't have to worry about getting new cable and fiber optic lines because everything will be wireless.

I think Steam will be just as relevant with their distribution methods in the future as long as internet download speeds improve. And in terms of storage, all these new optical discs may not be worth much in terms of distributing games or software if the majority of the games end up getting hosted on cloud servers and all you'll need to play a game is a simple laptop with no high end specs.

Data limits are ridiculous and I feel sorry for those cities that are in Comcast and Time Warner's testing grounds for data limited plans. I think once the cell phone companies drastically improve their networks we'll see unlimited data plans come back. I think the reason they stopped unlimited to begin with was because of the smartphone advancements that lets them be used as wireless data access points for laptops and home networks. If there was unlimited data still, people would probably be streaming netflix on 5 different tvs while using carbonite to constantly backup 3 computers over their phone data connection. I don't think their networks could even come close to handling that kind of data atm.

I don't know why comcast and TW would even think of data limits. Google fiber is going to stomp them into oblivion with unlimited data a 50x the speed... If they think they can buy their way into keeping google out, I'm pretty sure google has more money than both of them.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I don't know why comcast and TW would even think of data limits. Google fiber is going to stomp them into oblivion with unlimited data a 50x the speed... If they think they can buy their way into keeping Google out, I'm pretty sure Google has more money than both of them.

If only it currently didn't take Google Fiber so long to get into cities. I want Google Fiber really bad & can't afford to move.

I think Google Fiber costs more than Road Runner.. but its insanely fast.. I wish I could have some fast internet like that. But its not just Google fiber out there.. there are other cities with fiber already:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-27/u-s-internet-users-pay-more-for-slower-service.html

I don't know why comcast and TW would even think of data limits. Google fiber is going to stomp them into oblivion with unlimited data a 50x the speed... If they think they can buy their way into keeping google out, I'm pretty sure google has more money than both of them.

Its all about greed. They want more and more money. And I think its ridiculous for them to even consider data limits when their networks can easily handle the traffic. Even now TW is going to price hike the 'modem fee'.. that free modem we've all been using for years started costing $3.99 a month last november and now the price will jump up to $5.99 a month because of the "cost associated with providing the modem."

Yes... the modem that they provided me 7 years ago will now cost me $6 because its so damn expensive. :nonono:

http://news.yahoo.com/time-warner-cable-raises-internet-modem-fees-customers-220444909.html

I'm not aware how much roadrunner costs but these prices are pretty reasonable https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2657118?hl=en

I paid $60 a month for basic cable internet from Comcast. with TV it was $100. $300 up front for 7 years is $42 a year, which is unreal, is a pretty sweet deal, but I'd def have no issue paying $20 more a month than I use to for that speed increase. They just need to hurry up and get it in more places.

I don't pay for showtime anyway.. but CBS.. as far as I know I'm still getting that channel.. Time Warner is bullshit with the networks.

Whats really annoying is all the commercials I see for new customers.. New customers can get the exact package that I'm paying $140 a month for, for $99 a month for an entire year with free DVR for the year and sometimes they throw in HBO or Showtime into the deal or free digital phone in that price. I feel like my higher cable bill is subsidizing all the new customers.

And I'm subsidizing everyone who enjoys sports:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/if-you-dont-watch-sports-tv-is-a-huge-rip-off-so-how-do-we-fix-it/265814/

I hardly watch any sports except for the Olympics.. I've never been a sports fan. Time Warner should ban ESPN from my account and give me a monthly discount. :P

I love NFL and UFC... ESPN is a joke. Its as bias as the media. Seeing as my favorite team the New Orleans Saints is a small market competitor, we get ignored or only bad press makes the their highlights. Its all about the Cowboys, or any NY team in any sport. Their ratings have suffered because of this neglect of other markets because the rise of the internet news source. They had to lay off a bunch of their staff a few months ago. They shouldn't be subsidized. 

When I signed up for Comcast I only wanted internet, but they kept offering me a deal for cable and net for the same price I paid for just net. This deal lasted a year, so of course I signed up. My bill was only suppose to go up to $90 a month after that but it ended up being $110 some months and $100 most of the time. I never felt like going through the hassle for $10, especially since the service was good and always up and running. The few times it went down they came and fixed it ASAP, and one time they were 20 minutes late showing up and gave me a pretty good discount on that month's bill.

Sounds like comcast is better than Time Warner. TWC has increased my bill 3 times in the past year. I call and complain and I'd like to get a cheaper bill, but they only have basic cable or HD digital cable packages.. if I want HD channels I must have the digital package. My only other option is to switch to Direct TV because Time Warner has a complete monopoly where I live. I'm paying $140 for the cheapest package of HD channels, basic road runner, no dvr or premium channels.

FiOS is pretty damn cheap compared to all of the cable companies and the speed is great too.  even after the year end on the deal its still cheaper by far then cable.

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Well I never had the HD package, DVR, or premium channels.... unless you unplugged the box and connected your TV directly to the cable socket like the old days. You'd get all the local channels and a few of the cable channels in HD. My TV you can save channels as favorites, So I wouldn't have to memorize channel 15.24 and what not without a box. However, My bill never increased. It just fluctuated by $10 month to month.

Never switch to satellite unless you rarely get rain.. Every friend I knew that had Direct TV or Dish could barely watch TV during inclement weather. I dunno how it does during snow.

I have some neighbors that use direct tv and I'm pretty certain heavy rain and snow screws up the satellite service here.

Time Warner prevents tvs without a cable box from getting HD channels by plugging the cable into the tv (at least in my area). It used to work, NBC was 3.3, and so on.. but around November of last year they changed how the signals are sent to supposedly increase their bandwidth offerings and improve their network. So now I have 'digital adapter', its about the size of a couple smartphones stacked on top of each other. Cable connects in the back of it, it plugs into the wall and it connects to the tv with an HDMI cable. Its actually better than what it was before, because I now get over 100 channels in HD on that tv.. unfortunately the digital adapter has now tv guide, no tv listing channel to let you know what is on.. but it did come with a remote that lets you change channels and gives you a channel listing. I need to email them.. without the digitial adapter I can get channel 2 which is a complete scrolling tv guide listing of whats coming on over the next hour and a half.. but with the adapter I have no idea whats on.

Oh, and the adapter is free until 2014 or 2015.. then they'll charge me $1 a month for it.. at least until they decide to raise the price of it again. And the digital adapters are made cheap.. my first one was a defective. I had to take it back to their support center and get a new one.