Sledgstone

League of Legends player arrested for Facebook comment

Anyone else been following the story of that Texas teenager that was arrested for his facebook comment?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/01/197669495/texas-teen-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-comment

A Texas teen faces up to eight years in prison after making a comment on Facebook about shooting up "a school full of kids." Deputies in Comal County, Texas, charged then-18-year-old Justin Carter with making "terroristic threats" — a third-degree felony — in March. According to the Comal County Jail, he's been behind bars since March 27, unable to make his $500,000 bail.

"Justin Carter was 18 back in February when an online video game took an ugly turn on Facebook. Jack Carter says his son Justin and a friend got into an argument with someone on Facebook about the game and the teenager wrote a comment he now regrets. 'Someone had said something to the effect of "Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head," to which he replied "Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts," and the next two lines were lol and jk,' said Carter."

A Canadian woman saw the posting, and according to the teen's father, the woman called police.

"These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made," Jack Carter told KVUE. "Justin was the kind of kid who didn't read the newspaper. He didn't watch television. He wasn't aware of current events. These kids, they don't realize what they're doing. They don't understand the implications. They don't understand public space."

Apparently the guy was beaten in jail:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/03/198129617/teen-jailed-for-facebook-comment-reportedly-beat-up-behind-bars

And it looks like an anonymous donor has posted his bail for him:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/11/201202207/anonymous-person-posts-500-000-bond-to-free-texas-teen

This is why I prefer usernames over real names. We've all seen ridiculous comments online over the years but people don't get arrested for a single post they make.. but with facebook, its your real name, your real identity and your real information. One person reports you and the police get full access to your facebook account. I'm guessing this guy probably had more private comments or random stupidity that made authorities think he could actually be a threat.. because if people can get arrested from a single facebook comment.. wtf..

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

You can't be a hero in Canada & you can't make comments that might offend Canadians.

Where's South Park's "Blame Canada" Song when you need it?

Then again maybe I shouldn't be joking because I use a name still close to my real name here.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

What I don't understand is why more people don't get arrested for facebook comments.. I'm sure plenty of people have openly said they would have wanted to kill Bush or Obama over the years, but... actually.. wait a second..

*searches google*

https://www.google.com/search?q=arrested+facebook+comment+president

Well I'll be damned.. people seem to get arrested for facebook comments more frequently than I thought. O_O

This is why I don't use Facebook or actually have my real name linked to anything that can be viewed publicly (outside of Linkedin). Honestly I've been following this case since I first heard about it and honestly people need to let the kid go. It's obviously a joke, god forbid someone make a joke in bad taste on the internet.

God damn Canadians.

Edited by Strider Hiryu

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

[devils advocate] I don't feel a bit sorry for the fucknard. Its about time we start punishing stupid. He lives near an elementary school. Fuck him for not knowing how to conduct himself in public. [/devils advocate]

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

[devils advocate] I don't feel a bit sorry for the fucknard. Its about time we start punishing stupid. He lives near an elementary school. Fuck him for not knowing how to conduct himself in public. [/devils advocate]

You make a good point. There is no real anonymity anymore between offline and online. The internet is basically public domain and everyone has to now be on their best behaviors, especially if posting and saying things with their real names.

I'm all for punishing the little twat but I don't believe he needs to go to prison for a stupid remark. If that's all it takes to go to prison now-a-days we'd all be there (I'm not proud but I've said stuff in the past that goes along the same lines as his comment, don't think I should go to jail for it).

Edited by Strider Hiryu

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

8 years seems quite excessive for just a comment. :nod: It makes me wonder if old comments could now be a liability. Imagine adding a new friend on facebook from some zynga game, then that person searches your previous comments and then reports a comment from 5 years ago to the police. wtf.

If we tried putting all the stupid ppl in jail it would bankrupt us in a day. Probation for two years with psy evaluations every 6 months would likely be enough to prevent derp from doing something dangerous.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

If we tried putting all the stupid ppl in jail it would bankrupt us in a day. Probation for two years with psy evaluations every 6 months would likely be enough to prevent derp from doing something dangerous.

Thats a good idea. If there is no evidence to suggest someone would go on a shooting spree, probation and an evaluation sounds like a much better solution than 8 years in jail.

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before. Does anyone know if this is a good price for all these games considering I'd have to use Uplay (my pc can play them fine)? Or would I be better off picking these up on console during a PSN sale?
      https://www.humblebundle.com/assassins-creed-bundle

• By Sledgstone
      If you haven't played season 1 or 2, the trailer seems to be spoiler free and doesn't reference any of those events. WTF.. Jesus is in this!?
    • By Sledgstone
      I am so hyped right now.
    • By Sledgstone
      I've been playing Prince of Persia since way back in the Broderbund days. And just as those classic games broke the barriers of cutting edge gaming back then, the new Prince of Persia does the same. Throwing aside the old side scrolling action and breaking new ground with such entirely unique gameplay, the Prince of Persia series is redifined with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.
      The game is played in 3rd person perspective with camera controls so excellent, you will never miss out on any of the action. If you were to watch someone playing this, you would think the controls would be intimidating. But in fact, the controls are simple to learn thanks to the basic tutorial that assists you through the beginning scenes.
      The plot is great because of its simplicity.
      To quote a description from the publisher:
      Basically, everyone is turned into a sand demon, but as you play, you soon realize there are 2 others not affected by the Sands.. a young woman of the Maharajah kingdom named Farah and the evil Vizier. They both possess objects that protect them from the affects of the Sand, such as the Dagger has kept the Prince safe.
      After the Sands of Time are released, you quickly discover that the only way to destroy the sand demons is to absorb their sand into the Dagger of Time. The Dagger also has other abilities, such as if you were to die abruptly by a missed jump, the Dagger can rewind time at your discretion so you can make another attempt.
      The Dagger can do this as long as it has sand reserves. To refill the Dagger, simply kill another sand demon and absorb its sand. As you progress through the game, the Dagger will become stronger with every kill enabling you to do other feats than just rewinding time.
      The game is tied together with action and puzzle solving. For example: Kill all the enemies in the room, then get from point A to point B to progress to the next area. And this is were the Prince's abilities really shine. By doing combinations of wall running, jumping, swinging, climbing, pulling switches, hitting levers and wall jumping.. this game is sure to keep you entertained.
      With no major stage boundaries or level completion notices, Prince of Persia is a constant, fluid, adrenaline rush adventure.
      Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Control: 10 Camera: 8 Plot: 9 Gameplay: 10 Overall: 10 Platform: PlayStation 2 Genre: Action Adventure Publisher: UBI SOFT Developer: UBI SOFT Released: 11/06/2003
    • By Sledgstone
      I came across a website that was using vbulletin, but had a facebook chat bar.. I thought, wtf? But after looking around a bit, I stumbled across this site:
      http://www.cometchat.com/
      Interesting. I wouldn't mind having a feature like this on AC. It be like a built in instant messenger. Very spiffy.