Myk JL

Pissed Off? I'd be worrying about being Piston!

Steam Box will come with Windows 8 preinstalled (Incorrect Story Title)

I think this will turn out to be a bad business decision for Xi3 with how poorly Windows 8 is selling.

*Correct Quote*

Sheriff of Rottingham - I was angry at you before Locksley, but now I'm really pissed off!
Ahchoo - Pissed off? If I was that close to a horse's wiener I'd be worrying about being pissed on!

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

It makes sense that they would run Windows 8. I don't think MS is selling Windows 7 licenses anymore and if they want to actually run all of the games available on steam out of the box it has to run Windows. I wouldn't buy a linux powered steam box until Valve can get steam running every title available on linux. And with these steam machines running windows we should be able to run a variety of game mods and other software on it as well as steam. I would say that fact would negate the label of "Steam box" as it could run any software, but as long as the hardware and software configuration is set specifically with running steam and it's games in mind, then it should sell like hot cakes. If they mass produce the computers with a strong CPU, graphics and RAM and make them cheap then I'll buy one if it means I can play my games at full specs without having to buy an expensive gaming PC. All we would need to do is buy an Xbox 360 controller for it because almost all Steam games with controller support are designed for use with an Xbox 360 controller.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I find it misleading though that Xi3 would make those statements when in the past Valve has stated Linux is preinstalled but it can run Windows. Furthermore the only reason to as why Steam Box is coming into existence is because of Valve's fear that Windows would only accept Games purchased through Microsoft's Store App.

As for Windows 7 I was lucky enough to buy it before Windows 8 came out.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

If windows would only run games purchased through their store app they'd be facing even more anti-trust lawsuits. Sure Android phones have google play, but you can install and runs games and apps that are not purchased or downloaded through google play. If they restricted their phones to their store only then I'm sure some companies or countries would be suing google for the same issues.

I think the real reason steam wanted to run linux boxes is because of the cost of Windows 8 OEM.. with every steam box sold, Microsoft would get paid, and with Microsoft running Xbox, they would be handing money over to their competitor. Same with blu-ray drives. Steam is all about downloadable games.. if they had a blu-ray super drive in their PCs, sony would indirectly get some money from the blu-ray tech. The more slimmed down they can get steam boxes, the cheaper they should be with less software costs involved.

The $1000 price tag makes me feel like this will fail.

If it ends up costing that much it will fail. I'd rather just buy or build a custom gaming PC that could be upgraded for that price.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg