Sledgstone

Higgs Boson Discovery Confirmed

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/higgs-boson-discovery-confirmed-cern-large-hadron-collider_n_2874975.html

"To me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is," said Joe Incandela, a physicist who heads one of the two main teams at CERN that each involve about 3,000 scientists.

Its existence helps confirm the theory that objects gain their size and shape when particles interact in an energy field with a key particle, the Higgs boson. The more they attract, the theory goes, the bigger their mass will be.

But, it remains an "open question," CERN said in a statement, whether this is the Higgs boson that was expected in the original formulation, or possibly the lightest of several predicted in some theories that go beyond that model.

Its discovery could be a strong contender for the Nobel, though it is uncertain whether the prize would go to the 83-year-old Peter Higgs and the others who first proposed the theory, or to the thousands of scientists who found it, or to all of them.

Finding it wasn't easy. It took more than two decades, thousands of scientists and mountains of data from trillions of colliding protons.

And it needed the world's biggest atom smasher – CERN's Large Hadron Collider, which cost $10 billion to build and run in a 17-mile (27-kilometer) tunnel beneath the Swiss-French border – to produce the extreme surge of energies simulating those 1 trillionth to 2 trillionths of a second after the Big Bang.

The Higgs boson is so elusive that only about one collision per trillion will produce one of them in the collider.

Click to read the entire article.

This is interesting news. It could lead to new theories and possibly advance science as we know in the future.. and then I read some of the comments in that article and I realize how under appreciated science is. -_-;

I'm looking forward to a new Morgan Freeman episode to explain this new discovery to me. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I was hoping said comments weren't religious in nature. The God Trolls can't comprehend why Science is good. Instead they rather worship an all knowing being who refuses to share his knowledge when there is no natural evidence to prove said being exist.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.