ccs-1-0-41336400-1361846586_thumb.jpg

If you download copyrighted material, your ISP might start scolding you by sending you emails, redirecting file sharing websites to education ones and even reduce your download speeds for days at a time. But that seems to be the extent of what will happen. No personal information is to be sent to copyright holders which would mean no lawsuits for sharing copyright material should ever happen.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/25/4026194/infamous-six-strike-anti-piracy-program-barks-harder-than-it-bites

Five major internet service providers have signed onto a private sector effort to punish users for downloading copyrighted materials. Advocates say the new Copyright Alert System gives the entertainment industry a new tool to combat piracy, while opponents say it's a hassle for users that won't work to stop illegal downloading. The effort has been underway since 2011 but after suffering delays and missing its scheduled launch in November, it is finally being introduced today.

The Copyright Alert System, also known as the "six strike" system, is a cooperation between ISPs and copyright owners such as movie studios and record companies. The conceit is that the system is just "informing" users that they are illegally trafficking content. "When people share digital files, they can violate copyright law often without being aware that they're doing so," says the narrator of a video produced by the Center for Copyright Information, the group administering the new program.

The participating ISPs are juggernauts Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Cablevision, and Time Warner, meaning most Americans will be affected by the new program.

Once they spot an illicit copy of Skyfall or "Thriller," a content owner can identify the internet address and ISP of the person hosting the file and report the address to the ISP. The ISP then looks up which customer it is and issues a copyright alert, which can be a warning, a requirement to watch an educational video, a warning that requires the customer to acknowledge having read it, or a temporary slowdown of service.

The document purported to be from AT&T says customers will receive email alerts at first. After the fourth and fifth alert, "certain websites" will redirect to "an educational page" and customers will be required to complete a short tutorial before they can access those sites again. After fifth infraction, the document warns, the content owner could sue and force AT&T to turn over the customer's information.

Click here to view the article

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I was semi considering re-downloading the abandon-ware title Shadow President.... But I'd assume that might be a bad idea now.... Even though I'm pretty certain DC True no longer exist.... Meh.... Its way too old for a PC Game anyway.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I was semi considering re-downloading the abandon-ware title Shadow President.... But I'd assume that might be a bad idea now.... Even though I'm pretty certain DC True no longer exist.... Meh.... Its way too old for a PC Game anyway.

I have a feeling the companies wanting to enforce their copyright claims will be focusing their primary attention to new release titles or products that are still giving them noticeable revenue. They'd have to justify paying people to monitor the multiple torrent trackers out there and if they have a product that doesn't make them money, I'm guessing it won't be monitored.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg