245 posts in this topic

 

Anyone of you who have heard this song before? :rotflmao:


 

"Life doesn't have to be so planned. Just roll with it and let it happen."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Damn, that's interesting. I'd like to point out that Star Trek Online, that takes place 40 years after the events of Nemesis (and is canon in the old timeline), warp speeds still max out at 9.97 no matter what (unless you have access to Transwarp which will put you at roughly warp 24 (Vice Admiral and above ability), which is sad considering how much more advanced Starfleet is 40 years later (and we have access to technologies from the Borg (where we got Transwarp) and the Iconians). I've got one of the most powerful ships in Starfleet and yet I can only go warp 9.97).

Sledgstone likes this

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strider Hiryu said:

Damn, that's interesting. I'd like to point out that Star Trek Online, that takes place 40 years after the events of Nemesis (and is canon in the old timeline), warp speeds still max out at 9.97 no matter what (unless you have access to Transwarp which will put you at roughly warp 24 (Vice Admiral and above ability), which is sad considering how much more advanced Starfleet is 40 years later (and we have access to technologies from the Borg (where we got Transwarp) and the Iconians). I've got one of the most powerful ships in Starfleet and yet I can only go warp 9.97).

That's interesting, as much as I love Star Trek I'm not really up to speed on the lore. The first time I've ever heard of Transwarp was in the experimental Excelsior in Search for Spock. So why was it never really utilized?


dvabanner.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They probably never fully developed the technology at the time or they were never able to (I'm not that well read on old school ST lore, I'm pretty knowledgeable about everything past TNG and Enterprise era). I know one of the biggest things that came out of Voyager was them stealing Transwarp technology from the Borg to try and make their trip home a lot quicker (if I remember correctly they did but never fully integrated it into their warp drive, they shaved a couple of years off their travel time before it gave out if I remember correctly). All I know is that tech has seen a significant advance in STO (shit we have Quantum Slipstream drives now (which enables the Transwarp ability on the space map, normal transwarp is instantaneous between transwarp gates)), mostly due to the Iconian threat and the intervention of time travelers (yea, the Temporal Time War is mentioned and we do get to fight the Xindi as well. Hell my Science Officer is flying a ship from the future and she's from Kirk's era (yea I know, bonkers)). I just find it funny that our ships are more powerful then ever before (yea this is a game so I understand that aspect) yet warp travel is still stuck at 9.97 (though I do remember them explaining why this is in Voyager I just don't remember the specifics, this is the reason they turned to transwarp).

Sledgstone likes this

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all kinds of interesting to me. I love how that video really showed the difference. It's crazy to think how fast warp 9.9 is. The Voyager series covered everything about trans warp, warp 10 and quantum slipstream. I actually watched it recently and remember some of it off hand. Basically going warp 10 equals infinite mass and infinite speed. They actually went to warp 10 in a very odd episode with their delta flyer shuttle. The end result was the pilot Tom Perry kinda had a glimpse into omnipresence. He could see everything everywhere and go anywhere he wanted. He recalled events and places on earth, every place of space between them and earth, and pretty much everything else. The ship sensor logs literally filled all its storage with data. The event was to much for his body to handle and he ended up mutating thru an advanced evolution that somehow turned him into a salamander looking dumb thing oon the end. At first it looked like an evolution thing but it really just fried his DNA imo.

Trans warp was Borg tech and they had specifically made trans warp corridors that existed in a different plane of subspace or something like that. They wouldn't do instant travel between the locations but it was pretty damn quick compared to warp 9.9. Voyager used some trans warp conduits and shaved 30+ years off their warp 9.9 average travel to earth. Voyager also developed a slip stream drive and shaved decades off their trip to. Slip stream worked like trans warp but wasn't as fast. It was like they were making a trans warp conduit on the fly. They couldn't stabilize the engine tho and shelved it for star fleet to do research on. In the season finale they showed the Borg trans warp conduit hub. It was a way station connecting all their conduits. I think the massive structure was built into a huge black hole / gravitational mass anomaly thing of some kind. I can't remember what it was but damn it was gigantic compared to the actual conduit hub structure.

Strider Hiryu likes this

gallery_1_23_1357354444_252.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

That's all kinds of interesting to me. I love how that video really showed the difference. It's crazy to think how fast warp 9.9 is. The Voyager series covered everything about trans warp, warp 10 and quantum slipstream. I actually watched it recently and remember some of it off hand. Basically going warp 10 equals infinite mass and infinite speed. They actually went to warp 10 in a very odd episode with their delta flyer shuttle. The end result was the pilot Tom Perry kinda had a glimpse into omnipresence. He could see everything everywhere and go anywhere he wanted. He recalled events and places on earth, every place of space between them and earth, and pretty much everything else. The ship sensor logs literally filled all its storage with data. The event was to much for his body to handle and he ended up mutating thru an advanced evolution that somehow turned him into a salamander looking dumb thing oon the end. At first it looked like an evolution thing but it really just fried his DNA imo.

Trans warp was Borg tech and they had specifically made trans warp corridors that existed in a different plane of subspace or something like that. They wouldn't do instant travel between the locations but it was pretty damn quick compared to warp 9.9. Voyager used some trans warp conduits and shaved 30+ years off their warp 9.9 average travel to earth. Voyager also developed a slip stream drive and shaved decades off their trip to. Slip stream worked like trans warp but wasn't as fast. It was like they were making a trans warp conduit on the fly. They couldn't stabilize the engine tho and shelved it for star fleet to do research on. In the season finale they showed the Borg trans warp conduit hub. It was a way station connecting all their conduits. I think the massive structure was built into a huge black hole / gravitational mass anomaly thing of some kind. I can't remember what it was but damn it was gigantic compared to the actual conduit hub structure.

Ah, yep there you go. It's been like 6 years since I've rewatched Voyager and now I remember it. That episode was fucking bonkers.

To amend something I said above it's actually a Cyclical Quantum Slipstream Drive and it still can't be used for long periods of time (the game limits it to a 30 second boost to warp 24 and it's on a 2 minute cooldown). Starfleet and the Klingon Empire built their own corridor system by the looks of it in the game as there is a transwarp gate at every major strategic holding for both sides (I should also say the Romulan Republic has their own as well but they have no true allegiance in the game as you can choose whether your character serves Starfleet or the KDF). I don't really know much about the lore in-between Nemesis and the game but it seems the Borg are no longer a real threat anymore, shit we don't even need to use rotating shield or phaser frequencies just to fight them. Just goes to show how much 40 years can do for advancement (though they are still a bitch to fight and we have two factions now. The normal collective and one that's allied with us).

Scotty never ruins anything, he just happens to sometimes modify something in a way that makes it break XD


large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO! They had transwarp drives back in Star Trek 3 wtf. I completely forgot about that. XD I like how the later series completely forget about this tech and act like it never happened until voyager. XD

I'm guessing the 2 free borg faction from voyager survived 40 years into the future. lol. Voyager covered all the borg stuff. It was worth rewatching a while back just for all that lore. At the end of Voyager they killed the borg queen, destroyed their entire transwarp conduit hub and set them back in progress a great many years. Without their conduit into the the alpha quadrant it probably took them many many years just to make it back into federation space. The large free borg faction in voyager was from unimatrix zero. I'm guessing the allied borg faction 40 years later was a result of them?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Unimatrix_Zero_(episode)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Unimatrix_Zero,_Part_II_(episode)

As far as I know the war between the borg and species 8472 never ended. I wonder if its still happening all those years later.


gallery_1_23_1357354444_252.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much, species 8472 turned their sights on us once the Queen was killed (metaphorically speaking, there hasn't been a resurgence of a new body for the queen at least in STO). They play a pretty big role in a lot of the beginning quests trying to bring down the KDF and Starfleet from within. There's also a whole Expansion dedicated to fighting them (and it sucks, they're just as bad as the Borg when it comes to taking them on sometimes). I'm sure they're still fighting but with the Borg in a weakened state they turned their attentions to us (along with everything else in the fucking galaxy. I've had to fight the Tholians, Dominion (yes, they are still around), Cardassians (yep, still around as well), The Breen, The Xindi, The Hirogen, The Vaadwaur (yes, that species the Voyager team woke up), The Voth, The Iconians, and many other species/factions besides the KDF, Borg, and 8472. It's been literal hell).

Could be but not much was ever covered on Unimatrix Zero outside of Voyager. They're called the Cooperative and they're allies with Starfleet through Seven (who makes an appearance in the game acting as sort of an ambassador). All I really know about them is that they're free from the Collective by some means.

I'd say it took roughly 40+ years for them to rebuild the conduit hub because they're in vanilla STO and have they're own storyline (they're still trying to invade the Alpha Quadrant). I only say 40+ because I'm not sure how long after Voyager returned home that the events of Nemesis took place (all I know is that Janeway was an Admiral by that time).

Sledgstone likes this

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those free borg must have been from unimatrix zero then. Only Seven could be a representative for them. I'm surprised they didn't go into more of the lore on them.

Holy crap.. The Iconians are still alive? From original star trek and their teleporting gates? wtf.. the game must have been going for so long now they had to get every enemy ever introduced to fight the federation so there wouldn't be a lack of enemies. XD I'm surprised the Kazon haven't started a war with the federation yet. XD


gallery_1_23_1357354444_252.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

Those free borg must have been from unimatrix zero then. Only Seven could be a representative for them. I'm surprised they didn't go into more of the lore on them.

Holy crap.. The Iconians are still alive? From original star trek and their teleporting gates? wtf.. the game must have been going for so long now they had to get every enemy ever introduced to fight the federation so there wouldn't be a lack of enemies. XD I'm surprised the Kazon haven't started a war with the federation yet. XD

Oh you fight the Kazon as well, fuck there's a whole season (Expansion) that deals with the Delta Quadrant where the KDF, Starfleet, and their Romulan allies fight off the beginnings of the Iconian invasion while dealing with the hostile denizens of the Delta Quadrant. STO is a lot like WoW in the terms of two factions fighting against each other, yes 40 years in the future we are still at war with the Klingons (though there is a cease fire in existence when the Iconians show up) so there is always someone to fight but PvP has never been a big aspect of STO as far as I can tell (or heard from my Fleet).

The Iconians never died. They went into hiding after the alliance of alien species destroyed their homeworld. They were never really an antagonistic species and actually had values very similar to Starfleet. https://sto.gamepedia.com/Iconian, pretty much explains everything that happened before and after their disappearance and yes they are leaps and bounds more powerful then Starfleet, the Klingon Empire, and the Romulan Republic combined. We only won the war due to time traveling.

Sledgstone likes this

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Sledgstone

      In a surprising move, Amazon has purchased Twitch, beating out the looming Google / YouTube acquisition.
      This should be a good move for twitch. Amazon definitely has the hardware to support the site.
      Source: Twitch
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone

      In a surprising move, Amazon has purchased Twitch, beating out the looming Google / YouTube acquisition.
      This should be a good move for twitch. Amazon definitely has the hardware to support the site.
      Source: Twitch
    • By Sledgstone

       
      Twitch is now deleting all past broadcasts unless they are set as "Highlights" which is annoying.. but I like the new export feature. You can now stream to twitch, then export that video to your youtube account to permanently save the clip. I tried doing this tonight and got an error message stating that their exporting function is currently down due to heavy load.
       
      http://kotaku.com/twitch-cracks-down-on-music-in-videos-users-freak-out-1617252906
    • By Sledgstone
      I have been uploading my PS4 videos to youtube for a while now and I wanted to make this guide to explain how it is done. Until the Playstation 4 gets an update that will allow direct video uploading / sharing to youtube, the only option available is to upload your videos to facebook. In this quick guide I explain how to save your uploaded video off of facebook in HD and then how to upload it to youtube. It is very easy.
       
      First off, you have to have a facebook account and you have to connect your PS4 account to it. If you don't want to share your videos to your friends and family, then set your PS4 to share only visible to you. Or make a group on facebook, add the friends you want to see your videos to it and then go back to your PS4 facebook settings and select that group to share videos with. Once you do that, then follow this guide for sharing to youtube.
       
      1) You need Firefox and the Video DownloadHelper addon installed. If you already have firefox then install the addon. If you don't like firefox and prefer chrome, then good for you. Install firefox and this addon anyway just for saving your videos. You can get them from these links:
       
      http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
       
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
       
      As you can see in this picture, the addon will add an icon with menu drop down to the top right of the browser:
       

       
      2) Play a game on your PS4 and share a video to facebook. Its best if you give the video a name because it makes the video have a noticeable click-able link on facebook. On facebook, go to your timeline and click on the name of the video. This will take you to a page specifically for the video and not a popup lightbox version. You will want to be on the video page itself. If you don't name the video, you'll have to click the "your name shared a video" link instead.
       

       
      3) Now that you are on the video page, do not play it. Instead click the HD button to initiate playback in HD.
       

       
      4) Once the video is playing you will notice that the Video DownloadHelper icon is now animated and colorful. This means there is a video loaded that you can save. Click the icon and save the video.
       

       
      5) For some reason, my screenshot did not grab the drop down menu. It shows the video name as a large garble of numbers and letters because that is how the video is saved on facebook. So rename the video to whatever you want but make sure it keeps the .mp4 extension. Also, if you accidentally started playing your video before hitting the HD button, there will be two .mp4 files listed in the Video DownloadHelper drop down. Because the file names make no sense, simply hover over each one to see the file sizes of the videos. Whichever is the largest is the HD video you want to save.
       

       
      6) Your PS4 video in HD is now saved. All you have to do now is upload it to youtube. I'm assuming you have a youtube account. Sign in, click the upload link shown in this screenshot. It will bring you to this upload screen. Click the large red upload icon and select the video(s) you want to upload.
       

       
      7) Now that your video is uploading, give the video a name, description and type in a bunch of tags so people can find your video easier. Choose a screenshot for your image or make your own, save it and you are all set.
       

       
      8) Your Playstation 4 HD videos are now on youtube.