Sledgstone

Playstation 4 to cost $430!?

playstation4.jpg

According to a report by Asahi Shimbun (a Japanese newspaper) - referenced from Daily Mail the new Playstation 4 could cost as little as 40,000 Yen when it is released later this year. 40,000 Yen equals £270 and for us in the US, about $430. This is a huge difference in price compared to the large $599.99 price tag the PS3 started out at almost 7 years ago when it debuted.

Click here to view the article

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

If it was going to sell for $600 I'd have held off or put the money towards a new gaming computer or a cheaper xbox 720. Which makes me wonder now if the xbox 720 will get a decent price point.

Sony's selling prices for their consoles reminds me of the price of gas. Back in the day gas was $2 a gallon, then everyone was shocked when it jumped up to $4 a gallon.. and when it dropped back down to $3 we were all pleased that it was cheaper. But overall the price is still higher.

Back in the day a new console (PS2) would have cost $299. Then the PS3 comes out at double the price. A shocking price compared to what all console gamers were used to. And now the PS4 will have a $400ish price range and we all think, well damn thats a hell of a lot cheaper than what we were expecting. But just like gas, the price is still higher than the previous gens. Maybe the $400 mark will be the new standard price for new consoles, barring any large inflation rises until the next systems at least.

The only way I can see myself buying this is if one of the following happens

• They announce Free PS4 Games that I want
  • PS Home requires it & my addiction is stronger than I think
  • They Announce The PS4 Slim & for some reason I want to buy the old model before the slim version is in stores
  • DCUO(2?) Announces that Lobo is finally available in the game but only on PC & PS4
  • My addiction to Saints Row Game Stop preorders is stronger than I think
  • The PC dies a horrible death & Skyrim GOTY is never made for it thus resulting in me hoping the next Elder Scrolls will have Khajiit Marriage.... Seriously I wanted my Female Khajiit to marry another Female Khajiit & I'm still annoyed that wasn't an option in Skyrim.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

What if PS4 has its own newer version of PS Home and once it comes out a huge number of ppl migrate to the newer PS Home and the one available on PS3 goes largely unpopulated?

Another thing about the playstation 4 price tag.. Seeing as it is a cheaper price than the PS3 was at launch, maybe Sony has plans to make their online access cost a monthly fee like Microsoft does. I think playstation and xbox should have completely free online access to their networks. If battlefield 3 can have full access online servers for the life of a game based off a one time fee of $10 for an online pass, ps4 and xbox 720 shouldn't ever charge for access to their networks considering the price per user can be calculated into the initial cost of the system. I don't think xbox 360 should even be charging for xbox live. Its just another way for them to get money off it's users.

What if PS4 has its own newer version of PS Home and once it comes out a huge number of ppl migrate to the newer PS Home and the one available on PS3 goes largely unpopulated?

Another thing about the playstation 4 price tag.. Seeing as it is a cheaper price than the PS3 was at launch, maybe Sony has plans to make their online access cost a monthly fee like Microsoft does. I think playstation and xbox should have completely free online access to their networks. If battlefield 3 can have full access online servers for the life of a game based off a one time fee of $10 for an online pass, ps4 and xbox 720 shouldn't ever charge for access to their networks considering the price per user can be calculated into the initial cost of the system. I don't think xbox 360 should even be charging for xbox live. Its just another way for them to get money off it's users.

In the case that PS4 has PS Home 2 it ultimately confirms the fact that I shouldn't have spent thousands on PSN. However since Sony is trying to transfer all PS Home save data from the PS3s to PSN, PS Home 2 isn't planned anytime soon.

In full honesty I bought my PS3 mainly as a Blu-Ray Player. However it eventually replaced my Wii which I had first at the time. About 2 years later I stopped watching Blu-Ray Movies because Sony created Video Unlimited. Then about half a year later I felt justified in selling the majority of games I owned once PS Plus started to get *free games.

In the case however that Sony starts to charge for online like Microsoft I honestly welcome it. One of the major problems of home have been the trolls who refuse to pay for anything. They're just there for free rewards & if they find out anything cost (too much) money it is ultimately a scam to them. Or in the case of items such as a $15 Gold Suit "Class Warfare". A bogus claim since the PS3 costs hundreds more. Even when a company like Granzella gives a free option to play their Home Games rather than be thankful that they can play they still consider the paid for items a scam.

On the other hand the One time fee access & what not I guess I could agree with Jim Sterling on that matter.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business

Okay that rant is long enough but hopefully it summed up my thoughts.

*Free as in when the games come available for purchase for free. Once you miss out on that you would have to buy them if you really want them. However they're not technically free since you need to stay subscribed to PS Plus to play them. Still $50 a year vs the hundreds all of these games would have cost together is a decent bargain.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Good points. I'm wondering if Sony is going to keep PS Home as it is and allow ppl to access it on the PS4 and possibly allow ppl to access to ps4 exclusive content. But they would probably make more money by just making a new PS Home 2 instead.

I think PS Home 2 would not only have to have a major graphics & avatar improvements but a way to use PS Home Avatars in other games.

I still think its a major disappointment that my PS Home Avatar dressed as a Ghost Buster Can't appear driving in The Ambulance Shown in the new Twisted Metal on the PS3. Or even as an option in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. Had they done that there be more reason to buy (Sony Exclusive) games & be on PS Home.

You'll never see a free xbox live that allows players to play multilayer for free, and honestly rightfully so. The difference between playing online on PS3 and on Xbox 360 is night and day. I use to scoff at paying for an online service when I only had a PS3, but the service offered by XBL is vastly superior. You get what you pay for. XBL has paved the way for quality online gaming from its private chat/party chat system to its online store that offered free demo's for games years before PS Plus ever came out. Cheating is less prevalent, and those reported and caught are either banned for life, or their gamertag is branded as a cheater for the rest of their days.

While paying $10 for an online pass sounds like a good idea, for people that buy 20 games a year, its not very practical when you could pay $60 a year rather than $200. XBL has made a pretty effective tiered payment program where you can pay yearly, every 6 months, tri-monthly, or monthly. Paying monthly costs as much as netflix instant stream but you end up paying $30 more a year that way.

The online pass was created to recoup money off used game sales, which by all indications, seems to be coming to an end this generation. Both Sony and MS seem to be coming up with some way to prevent consoles from playing used games. I have no idea how this will work, but if my theories on how they will accomplish this are accurate, I do not like it. I personally don't buy used games anymore because its just a rip off. $5-10 off for a used copy isn't for me. I'm just wondering if it will hurt redbox's game rental abilities.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

My 2 cents on the next gen of consoles

I bet the next gen will really push for digital purchasing over there network, with current home BB being faster then ever, a new console launch could be the catalyst needed to shift the market, to make this the norm,

With cloud becoming more reliable, more and more data canbe held on a server with lil to no lag

Ps2 gave birth to DvD, Ps3 gave us BluRay, XB360 made multi player a more important factor in gaming

All these features existed before the consoles, but the consoles have a very strong influence

I hope next gen has backward compatibility

The price seems decent however, would make sense as Bluray RnD would have been under ps3's overheads, extra ram, and processors are not that expensive compared to the development of new tech

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I think PS Home 2 would not only have to have a major graphics & avatar improvements but a way to use PS Home Avatars in other games.

I still think its a major disappointment that my PS Home Avatar dressed as a Ghost Buster Can't appear driving in The Ambulance Shown in the new Twisted Metal on the PS3. Or even as an option in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. Had they done that there be more reason to buy (Sony Exclusive) games & be on PS Home.

Now that is a very interesting concept. It reminds me of how the Wii would allow you to play as your Mii character in a bunch of their games. To see that happen in PS games would be a pretty big step towards customized characters, but yeah the PS home graphics would need a major overhaul to have those characters be feasible to use in games like All-Stars Battle Royale. It works ok for the Wii to do this considering how cartoony a majority of their games are and how graphic detail isn't as important.

You'll never see a free xbox live that allows players to play multilayer for free, and honestly rightfully so. The difference between playing online on PS3 and on Xbox 360 is night and day. I use to scoff at paying for an online service when I only had a PS3, but the service offered by XBL is vastly superior. You get what you pay for. XBL has paved the way for quality online gaming from its private chat/party chat system to its online store that offered free demo's for games years before PS Plus ever came out. Cheating is less prevalent, and those reported and caught are either banned for life, or their gamertag is branded as a cheater for the rest of their days.

While paying $10 for an online pass sounds like a good idea, for people that buy 20 games a year, its not very practical when you could pay $60 a year rather than $200. XBL has made a pretty effective tiered payment program where you can pay yearly, every 6 months, tri-monthly, or monthly. Paying monthly costs as much as netflix instant stream but you end up paying $30 more a year that way.

The online pass was created to recoup money off used game sales, which by all indications, seems to be coming to an end this generation. Both Sony and MS seem to be coming up with some way to prevent consoles from playing used games. I have no idea how this will work, but if my theories on how they will accomplish this are accurate, I do not like it. I personally don't buy used games anymore because its just a rip off. $5-10 off for a used copy isn't for me. I'm just wondering if it will hurt redbox's game rental abilities.

When you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. I don't purchase many games in a year so I didn't take into account the overall price comparison. It definitely sounds like used games are going to take a hit in the future. It wouldn't surprise me if this generation of console systems will be the last to use physical media. Everything will turn into digital downloads and all the games sold in gamestop will be for packaging, physical instruction books and instead of a game disc, it'll have a redemption code in the packaging.

My 2 cents on the next gen of consoles

I bet the next gen will really push for digital purchasing over there network, with current home BB being faster then ever, a new console launch could be the catalyst needed to shift the market, to make this the norm,

With cloud becoming more reliable, more and more data canbe held on a server with lil to no lag

Ps2 gave birth to DvD, Ps3 gave us BluRay, XB360 made multi player a more important factor in gaming

All these features existed before the consoles, but the consoles have a very strong influence

I hope next gen has backward compatibility

The price seems decent however, would make sense as Bluray RnD would have been under ps3's overheads, extra ram, and processors are not that expensive compared to the development of new tech

I think going digital is a must. This will kill the need to worry about backwards compatibility. XBL and PS could replicate what Steam does so you keep your games on that network throughout the rest of the generations. The costs of packaging and producing discs would save millions in production costs. 

This could also pave way from something new. Cross console gaming. We saw that it could be done between PS3 and Steam when Portal 2 came out. It def could be done with other games. It would be a very limited amount of games that wouldn't have hardware conflicts between how the game is played. If MS Illumiroom gives xbox players a better advantage or the touch screen on PS4's controller does, then it wouldn't be worth making the game crossplatform. Maybe bring the console wars to a new level? Have just specific events, like a Team Xbox vs. Team PS weekend in COD. Instead of DLC timed exclusives being decided by corporate dollars, let it be decided by the gaming community. Which ever side wins the event gets the DLC early release.

Hahaha. That sounds good. PS vs xbox event. That would be interesting. Cross platform games would also drastically increase the player count for large multiplayer games. 100 vs 100 games wouldn't be hard to get going when you have 2 or 3 different consoles all logging into the same game servers and matchmaking.

One thing that I think would be an issue is PC cross platforming with consoles. Cheating on PC and adding aimbots is rampant on PC. If there were cross platforming involving PC, PC players would always have an advantage in terms of keyboard/mouse support and possible cheats installed on their system.

Speaking of keyboard / mouse support. I would like to see that for the new consoles. The controllers are nice, but precision is always on the side of the person using a mouse. But then again I have seen quite a few people complain about keyboard / mouse users in the BF3 community. Some people pay for a device that allows them to hook up a keyboard / mouse and map the controls to them. I've even seen quite a few 100 star colonel guys killing the crap out of ppl as if everyone but them is lagging and they have a noticeable advantage.

cross platform would be awesome, 

however, I dont imagine it would ever happen, 

it online was harmonised, people would simple take the cheaper option

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

At the begining of each generation MS and Sony have kept their prices very similar. The 'cheaper' option wouldn't really be a factor, the extra hardware would play more into it.

The Dollar has been really good when compared to the Yen, since November/ December actually. I know because I picked up a Berserk statue that would have cost me in the range of $750 with shipping and it didn't. 

I bought my PS3 about a year ago, just as a convenient Blu Ray player without having to plug in my laptop. Lazy purchase, yeah but as a non-serious-gamer, I don't need a PS4 unless the next best movie format can only be played on a PS4, which I don't know, I don't forsee happening. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Cheaper would be better, but if one system looks noticeably better than the other, then I'd go that route. That if given the option of playing a game with a comfortable controller or a giant tv screen of a Wii U controller, I'd pay the extra money for a comfortable controller that has battery life.

The Dollar has been really good when compared to the Yen, since November/ December actually. I know because I picked up a Berserk statue that would have cost me in the range of $750 with shipping and it didn't. 

I bought my PS3 about a year ago, just as a convenient Blu Ray player without having to plug in my laptop. Lazy purchase, yeah but as a non-serious-gamer, I don't need a PS4 unless the next best movie format can only be played on a PS4, which I don't know, I don't forsee happening. 

I don't see any new format coming out for years. If there is, it would be a new version of Blu-Ray that would support the 4k television hd standard. I wouldn't worry about that for at least 4-5 years.

UNLESS, my PS3 gets all messed up and needs fixing, I'm not going to purchase a new console. I still have to get a DS or a 3DS. WHY U PPL SO AHEAD IN TECH?

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

UNLESS, my PS3 gets all messed up and needs fixing, I'm not going to purchase a new console. I still have to get a DS or a 3DS. WHY U PPL SO AHEAD IN TECH?

Me ahead in tech?....

*Looks at CRT TV, Portable DVD Player, & 8 year old PC.*

I don't see myself buying a PS4 for the sake of 4K but that's partly because there are companies already trying to do 8K. I might as well try to settle for a 1080P TV.... That or I could always wait for a 3D 8K HD Smart TV to finally include smell o vision.... And the more controversial Sparkle Vision for Crap Vampire Movies.

All this talk about new consoles might also delay my eventual PC / Steam Box until I'm sure its a little more powerful than a PS4 or Xbox 720.

*Edit*

I forgot I also still own a CD Player instead of an MP3 Player....

Edited by Myk JL

I wanted to wait for the next better tv and a reasonable price, etc. etc.. and for all the waiting I did it was pointless because the tv I wanted to replace broke and forced me to get a new tv right then or have no tv.

Buying a new console is another thing tho.. Once a new console comes out its going to be the exact same specs for the next 3-7 years. The only thing will be the price of the system going down over time. The only real savings from buying a system new or waiting for it to be out a couple years is the amount of time you would have spent playing games (or using apps) on that system compared to the amount of money you spent on it compared to launch price. For me, if the new systems are going to be about $400 and the price will probably drop about $100 maybe 1 1/2 years to 2 years later, then I have to think if its worth it to spend that extra $100 this year to enjoy that extra 1 or 2 years of gaming. But for me when the PS3 came out, it was just way too huge of a price tag at the time and I had to wait regardless because money was a bigger issue than game play time.

As for computers, PCs always piss me off. New PCs that are out now would be perfect for me to buy in 1-2 years when they would theoretically be half price at that point. But that never works with PCs because the PC manufacturers stop producing them and then recall all unsold units to make sure the constant price of PCs is always a minimum of $500+ for a decent gaming computer.

I'm glad that is not the state of consoles, or we'd already be on Playstation 7 by now.

Hell, just look at gameboys... PS3 came out in 2006.. since 2006 there have been 5 gameboy models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles

And since 2006 there have been 4 PSPs and a PS Vita

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

The real question for the potential steam box systems is if they will be like consoles 1 system good for 3-4 years or the handheld units and PCs, in which every year a new upgraded steambox will come out that will be compatible with the newest games. My guess is that it will be the latter.

I'm still mad that the Game Boy Advance got replaced by the new Game & Watch they call the DS. If it weren't for that I would've bought a 3D Game Boy by now.

And the touch pad & screen just turned me off to the Vita, but then again I'm waiting for a PSP that will be able to play PS3 games.

I'm still hoping the idea of Touch Games for PS4 ends up a fad like the PS Move.

I hope the lower end PS4 will only be missing out on extra hard drive space and extra peripheral.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

Looks like Playstation will have its own version of xbox live now.

I'm still up in the air about which console to dedicate myself to. I might end up waiting a while, maybe even a year to get a new console. I'm actually more interested in getting a new gaming computer more than a console at this point. Come'on steam box! :P

We'll probably go with just one console.. I'm leaning more towards xbox at this point, but it all depends on prices, games, features, etc. Its like I'm a swing voter and election is coming up. XD