Myk JL

NC lawmaker: Ban lottery sales for people on welfare

North Carolina Rep. Paul Stam says customers who use food stamps to pay for groceries shouldn't be allowed to buy lottery tickets at the same time.

I'm not worried about the lottery being banned in such a way. But I am worried that it could go beyond this into things such as preventing people from having Internet.

Then again maybe he just thinks he'd have a better chance of winning the lottery if he could prevent others from playing.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

You have a point. I think the only reason they could justify this ban is because most lotteries are run the by the states. And because its state funds that are providing the welfare money, then that money shouldn't be used for state run programs I guess. Seems stupid and a waste of time to me. I don't see how they could enforce such a law anyway. If NC is like NY, then all lottery purchases are made in cash only and you don't have to show any kind of identification unless the seller thinks you are under 18.

I can understand why food stamps cannot be used for beer and alcohol purchases, that money is allocated for food and not alcohol use. Many states run their food stamp systems through ebt cards that act like debit cards and the purchases made with them are on approved purchase lists like how FSA cards work. But money is money. If someone gets a money allotment of assistance with their welfare and they withdraw the money from their ebt card, then that is straight up cash they are using. Once it is cash, then no one can enforce any restrictions. The only thing I could see them possibly doing is putting a mark on welfare recipient's credit scores that could deny them new car loans, mortgages and possible cell phone contracts.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

hmmmm...... seeing as welfare doesn't exist anymore it is called TANF Temporary assistance for Needy Families

Lets go a step further and look at who is on TANF..... oh to what do my wondering eyes appear.... ppl with children!!!!!!!!!!!  (a lot of single mothers trying to do their job and the deadbeat dads job too)

telling ppl down on their luck that they can't even dream of escaping poverty is sick, malicious, repressive, disgusting bullshit. No, assistance recipients should not waste cash assistance on frivolous things, but when you rob people of hope they might as well be cattle because that's what you are treating them like.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

The entire welfare system needs to be overhauled, some of this stuff needs to be monitored as harshly as the IRS does your taxes. If we were able to boot everyone scamming the system, we would be able to provide better for those who actually need it without further bankrupting our country. Working in grocery retail, I've seen first hand the disgusting abuse of this system. You have people coming in with $500 in food stamps talking and browsing the net on their iPhones and driving off in their new SUV or Jaguar. There are people that don't work, eating and living better than you and they've done nothing to earn it. I believe a lot of this has to do with people that actually work in these offices. The welfare system is suppose to be a assistance program, not a program to let you freely indulge yourself off the public.

Thank being said, how can you possibly enforce a lottery ban? I guess when they win the jackpot they'll look into their records and then tell you "oops, sorry you aren't qualified to win". I really don't see an issue with someone dropping a few dollars on a lotto ticket in hopes to get out of the situation they are in. The law serves no purpose to fix the real problems with the system.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

If we want to change the system we need to stop rewarding people with cash, food and free medical care for breeding. We need to stress the benefits of contraception, not hand the dumb assholes more when they have more children they can't afford while on assistance to begin with. I know the type you're taking about; shit out a new kid every other year and stay on the system as long as ya can. My neighbor is one of them. 5 kids in 12 years while on assistance since the first time she heard  "congratulations you're pregnant". We need to hold deadbeat absentee parents financially responsible at the very least since they are ditching out on all other parental responsibilities. We need to implement rules to get rid of the leeches and be able to help people who really need temporary assistance. It's supposed to be a hand up not a hand out and not a lifestyle choice my precious...........  

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I actually meant people that scam the system by not reporting how much they make, claim kids they don't have, or sell drugs and collect food stamps becasue they are "unemployed". But yes I know what you are talking about. I've seen a woman be permanently pregnant to stay on WIC. She had 5 kids all within a year of the next, I guess her body couldn't take it anymore and she stopped after that. Its unreal what people will go through to get a free ride.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

What we need to have done is completely re-write the Earned Income Credit. Many people on assistance will often work a small part time job during the year, earn about $10,000. Lets say a person made $10,000 last year, has 3 qualifying children for the EIC, according to the IRS website, that individual is currently eligible to receive $4,510 back in taxes. Obviously the person making $10,000 is not paying almost 50% of their pay in taxes, which means these individuals are being paid by the government to have children. This big payday does not even include the child tax credit that they would also be eligible for which is $1000 per kid. $7,510 back in taxes for only working a part time job. Thats a 70% bonus from the government, not counting the amount of money welfare and food stamps costs.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eitc2012/CalculateAgiExpense.do

Based on the amounts you entered, your 2012 Earned Income is $10,000 and your Adjusted Gross Income is $10,000.

Your estimated Earned Income Tax Credit amount for 2012 is $4,510.

A printable summary of your Earned Income Tax Credit and entered income amounts is available.

NOTE: Remember, this is only an estimate. To determine the exact amount of your credit and claim the EITC with these qualifying children, you must complete and attach Schedule EIC to your Form 1040 or Form 1040A and file it with the IRS.

To change previously entered amounts, use the "Start Over" link above.

While I am sure these programs were put into place to help individuals through tough times, there are too many people that take advantage of the system and live off of government assistance programs. I myself could not live like that, nor would I want others to. Some people don't want to work jobs tho. The other argument is because of the cost of day care and babysitters that its more financially sound to stay at home with the kids and live off the system than hand 80%+ of their paycheck over to a daycare. Instead of how the current earned income program is set up, it could be more useful to have a daycare credit instead. Of course some people will complain that the result is someone else raising their kids, which is understandable.

Considering that so many ppl want new jobs in the US, the government should provide incentives for companies to create new telecommuter jobs so many more individuals can get online jobs. If more online jobs are available, many more stay at home mothers and fathers will have an opportunity for employment and there will be less people that need public assistance.

-_-;

I've been born thanks to 2 people who should have never had kids. Both are also defined by NY State as mentally ill.... By extension I may or may not be mentally ill....

Its not like I haven't tried to get off of SSI & the various assistance I get. When I originally moved to Oneonta I was told that I would get help getting a job. When I first started working a part time Job I refused food stamps & checks. While someone else handled my rent, the money I was making from the part time learning job was going to food.

Ultimately things started to fall apart from there as my manager kept harassing me about my hair & pants. Usually he state that my pants made me look poor. Which now looking back implies poor people don't deserve jobs. I called him sexist for complaining about my long hair. He couldn't or wouldn't comprehend it but I explained that he was enforcing a double standard based on gender.

I ended up being suspended without pay & had to start taking my checks directly. I did eventually get new pants but never cut my hair. By the time I was ready to them to get an actual job they went back on their word in helping me get a job. Stating if they wouldn't help me a second time they wouldn't help me the first time either.

But the whole point of me even moving to Oneonta was that. I really needed the help getting the job because I was scared of another incident like I had when getting my GED. That being I ended up with people spreading rumors about me wanting to rape a girl I had a crush on. And if I ever talked to her again I'd get arrested for harassment. They just pushed that aside stating that "That's just High School".

So since I wasn't going to get the help I thought I would I started to turn to most "get rich quick" schemes. Most of which turned out to be scams. The last one being one I couldn't use due to the fact it would interfere with my housing assistance.

Finally after 6 years of being afraid to interact with society I found out that girl I had a crush on got arrest for harassment. So I finally snapped out of that. I thought I'd be able to get a job before the end of 2011. However I ended up stressed out because my Assistance & Land Lords wouldn't leave me alone long enough to focus. So once 2012 came I was mentally crapped out from even trying.

So now its been 8 years since moving to Oneonta. I'm going to have to start paying for NYSEG now that my Land Lords decided not to pay for my gas like it was in the original agreement. Hopefully thats the only problem with this year. If & When the idea of me making games for Ouya fails then I can at least try to focus on temp jobs before trying to apply for Walmart again.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

SSI is for long term assistance. Most people on SSI will never get off SSI and its understandable why for a majority of reasons. However, SSI pays crap and the program expects everyone on it to live in the projects on the ridiculously small income it provides. If you do qualify for different assistance programs, I recommend you get them. Also, if you have to start paying for your NYSEG, you could sign up for budget billing which is convenient for steady payments and knowing how much it will cost you every month as opposed to huge payments in winter when you have to heat your place.

http://www.nyseg.com/YourAccount/payyourbill/budgetbilling.html

However, being on SSI and paying for your own gas would also qualify you for a HEAP grant through the department of aging. Last I checked SSI people get it thru this department regardless of being elderly, but I think they may have changed it because it gives a new link at the bottom of the page for the HEAP application.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dfta/html/benefits/energy.shtml

I said however above because if you do qualify for a HEAP grant you might be better off not being on the budget billing, because the HEAP grant would kick in around november/december and apply the credit to your NYSEG account.

Also, I'm not pointing this next part at you because I don't know why you qualified for SSI, nor am I asking you to reveal that.

I have known a few people that have cheated the SSI program by having something so simple as mild carpel tunnel syndrome. They end up getting a lawyer, get SSI and the government then pays all their medical bills for life and gives them a SSI check every month. You know its bull when you see the person on a bowling league.