DeathscytheX

Could you dig a trench so big it would counteract rising sea levels?

http://gawker.com/5977734/can-huge-man+made-lakes-fix-our-rising-sea-levels

THE QUESTION: Rising sea levels caused by global warming threaten the future of American civilization. Coastal cities, including many of our greatest metropli, could be inundated and destroyed. How to address this seemingly intractable problem? I (not a trained scientist, but a respected "free thinker") had a bright idea: What if we dug canals from the coastline and funneled water to massive, man-made inland lakes, which we located in relatively unpopulated areas? In this way we could relocate seawater away from where it threatened us most (the coast) and towards inland areas that we weren't using much anyhow, like Kansas. Sure, it would require a lot of effort and expense—but better to turn Kansas into a great lake than to see New York, Miami, and L.A. flooded, right?

Just an interesting article full of fun factoids.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

it should work in theory, but im guessing unless were using a lot of nukes, it would take a hell of a long time to make a trench big enough to drop sea levels by a single MM

wouldnt it be easier just to build a coast line barrier ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

A barrier that could withstand the weight and pressure of an ocean would be an impossible feat, the wall would have to be so thick, you'd end up having to move inland hundreds if not thousands of miles. You'd basically have to build a set of mountain chains that rival the rockies across every costal border. Then access to water would be insanely difficult and a breach would be catastrophic to the population. lol.

How about a canal from Corpus Christi, Texas, US to Guaymas, Mexico?

It would offer some American & Mexican jobs....

*Gets hit in the back of the head for plausible Mexican / American Border.*

Ow!....

Okay how about instead of Kansas they do this to Alaska?

*Edit*

After looking at that picture that's just insane.

We might as well try to counter act it by sending water to Mars.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

That's a cool idea, but not earth shattering ground breaking. Aren't there other cities in the world that the US can learn from? Maybe in Japan?

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

We should all buy jetskis, invest in bio tech companies so we can grow some gills, and prepare for Kevin Costner's vision of the future:

No thanks, I think the world should just get hit by an asteroid instead. XD

I saw the article the other day and some of the retarded comments; my hope for humanity fell another .02%

We either build sea walls and artificial reefs to protect vulnerable areas from storm surge - very expensive and only effective for some of our coast, or we fucking move off the coastline.

The infuriating reality is that the baby boomer gen has wiped their ass with the planet. Now gen x is scrambling to leave their kids and grandkids a smaller shit taco. 

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Machu Pichu is perfect. I plan to go there in the next 3 years. It is not going to cost more than 2 grand. I've done enough research on tickets, hiring a guide/ sherpa, few days to climb up, etc. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Have fun boys don't get denge fever:p I'll just stay here, over 600 feet above sea level a few miles away from one of the cleanest water sources on the planet :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

a crazy idea, 

what if we dump like 90% of the worlds supply of liquid nitrogen into parts of the ocean to make a man made iceberg , in attempt to recreate the ice caps

assuming liquid nitrogen freezes its surroundings as opposed to just becoming frozen itself 

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

a nuclear winter might give the ice caps the break they need, but of course there are unpleasant side effects like ya know extinction of most species on earth.....

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Thats interesting, but I don't think it would work out in the end. The amount of nitrogen required to make glaciers would be huge, and once they start melting, the nitrogen released into the water would probably kill all kinds of marine life.

Maybe instead of making ice we could set up massive cooling stations on various coastlines that would suck ocean water in, move it through a variety of cooling tubes that were kept frozen via liquid nitrogen or some other gas like freon and then pump the water back into the ocean. The problem with that is It would drastically alter the natural ocean conveyor belt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation

That and the energy required to do such a thing would most likely result in the creation of many new power plants causing even more global gasses to be created which would then probably negate the effectiveness of such a system.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg