DeathscytheX

Pacific Rim

Try not to make sense of it. Less questions, the better like the Fast & The Furious flicks. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The movie was a ton of fun, but don't go into it expecting a great story. This is one of the few films I would have advocated for a trilogy format for that purpose. The battles are worth the price of admission though. Seeing as Legendary is doing the next Godzilla film, the special effects scene looks very promising. Unlike Transformers, they didn't take shortcuts with shaky close ups and rolling around with debris flying everywhere... you can see what is going on.

As far as the Neon Genesis Evangelion comparing running wild on the net; outside of visuals the comparisons end there (thankfully). The Kaiju alerts, The command center, Jaeger HUDs, and hangars bare some resemblance, and that was pretty cool.

Not really a spoiler on the story, just pacing and structure.. but I hit it with the tags anyway.

The action takes place on bookends of the movie, you have one battle at the start, and the last 1/4th of the film is non stop Jaeger vs. Kaiju.. the pacing was off balance with this gap in the middle. An attempt was made give the characters some substance during this time, but it fell short. They tried to throw in too many character backgrounds in at once and all of them are never fully explained. You really don't give a crap about any of them because there is nothing to emotionally latch on to.

Story Spoilers, do not read unless you've seen it.

This is why it would have been better as a trilogy.

The story starts out with this big Jaeger program, and then skips forward to only having 4 Jaegers left... and then 2 of them are destroyed like they were worthless. Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon deserved better. And with a wiki list of Jaegers not even seen in the film, that left much to be desired. http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Jaeger

Chuck Hansen was a douche, then he cheered for Gypsy Danger when it came to the rescue and all of the sudden was the heroic type... When he died, I didn't really care about his sacrifice.

Marshal Pentecost had some kind of sickness from piloting a Mark 1 Jaeger which he briefly talked about. He had the strongest performance out of everyone, and its a shame his character was rushed... when he went down with Hansen on Striker Eureka... again it didn't resonate emotionally. And after all that emphasis about the bond for Drift, it was thrown out the window when he could just drift with Hansen.

Mako Mori could have been the best character, but her vengeance story was left empty with no explanation of what exactly happened to her family (killed by Kaiju obviously but still). We just get some crumby drift memory. Her relationship to Pentecost was wishy washy due to time constraints.

Charlie Hunnam kept walking around like he was Jax from Sons of Anarchy... we got a good chuckle out of that, but he performed well with what he had. The lost of his brother gave us the only character we could emotionally connect to.

Charlie Day, Burn Gorman and Ron Perlman provided some decent comedy, but their characters we really just there to be there... It was quick cop out for the final resolution.

I like the movie for what it was, I didn't dislike it by any means... I just think there was a way to make it better... the sparse crowd in the theater wasn't a good sign however... hope the movie does well.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7705-Pacific-Rim?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Aside from that if anyone sees this movie they should stay during the credits otherwise they'll miss the funniest part of the movie.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

The end is pretty finite. I think Del Toro knew it wouldn't be a mega blockbuster and more of a service to us that grew up on Toho films. I've read they're banking harder on international sales. He made the film for fun as a project he's always wanted to do. I hope it opens up the gates along with Godzilla, I'd like to see a giant monster revival in the film industry. 

This movie was a mix of Godzilla, Independence Day, and Robot Jox. XD

I've spent the a long time looking for that test footage that was shown at Comic-Con last year. Unlike Disney's Tron, no one leaked it.. Hopefully we get SOMETHING this year.

Godzilla_Poster_Unveiled_Comic_Con_13423

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178061-comic-con-godzilla-director-teases-big-announcement

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106212

Godzilla_Redesign_Full_body_by_FritoFrit

ku-xlarge.jpg

More concepts of Godzilla and possible Foes.. http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/520

I don't think Mothra would work in US markets... I hope we never resort to Mecha Godzilla or Space Godzilla ever again XD. I'd like Ghidorah back. Destoroyah or Gigan would be cool... or an all new monster. Gypsy Danger as Jet Jaguar? XD No thank you.

I don't think Mothra would work in US markets... I hope we never resort to Mecha Godzilla or Space Godzilla ever again XD. I'd like Ghidorah back. Destoroyah or Gigan would be cool... or an all new monster. Gypsy Danger as Jet Jaguar? XD No thank you.

Someone has to resort to Mecha Godzilla....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

We've known a new Godzilla's in the works for a few months now, set photos are floating online. I like how this movie has a weak plot but is still OK with audiences because of graphics or big things fighting for 5 minutes on screen #sarcasm#. Man Of Steel, Star Trek: Into Darkness were two movies of similar kind. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Watched Pacific Rim this past week, over-rated. If Lindelof was attached to it, people would rip it to shreds.

Here's why - we're a smart audience and we like things to well ... make sense, not just any sense but think about the science behind things or question the lack of common sense. The movie kicks off with

Raleigh and his brother piloting a Jaegar (mech) fighting off a kaiju and things looks really COOL with the the explanation of the human-tech interface and a pumping good tune that may invoke serious head-bob-action, at least I was with a smile on the face. Things don't go perfectly planned and Raleigh’s brother gets killed and he leaves working in construction till Pentecost (Elba) finds him to recruit him. The Jaegar program is on it's own with no government funding and Pentecost plans to combine the few remaining Jaegar's and launch a final attack. Fair enough. The government's new plan is to build big walls and sit tight, walls that are easily breached by huge kaiju's. Kaiju's come through a dimension portal thingie that opens every few hours and in a specific area. They know where this is, they've always known where this is. Pentecost's plan is to drop a nuke into it, while the portal is open. I thought, why do you need jaegar's to fight kaiju's? They come up every few hours (sort of precise time is calculated, even if you're within the hour it should be ok), so why not have stealth bombers or choppers or battleships or subs or whatever else waiting for em and attack them or drop off this nuke? Kaiju's can be killed by big missiles which is how one of the jaegar's defeats them anyway. Only a jaegar's punch will shake off a kaiju, nothing else. Metal fists or mechanisms do not break during a fist fight but a kaiju can inflict massive damage from single hits when it hits a jaegar. Doesn't make sense but I guess it explains how jaegar's have no limitations from being underwater (with buttloads of water pressure at work), all devices working fine AND being able to move/ fight as they would on land.

Back home, every New Year or month or July 4th, Star Movies would play Independence Day. I haven't watched it since moving to NY but it's unforgettable, not that I liked the movie that much anyway. So the plan was to mask yourself in their alien craft so you're not detected when you fly into space, infiltrate enemy camp, say hello to glossy eye'd aliens, delivery the payload and head back successfully, right? So the plan now is to mask your jaegar while holding/ jumping with a kaiju so you're not detected when you use the portal to the kaiju world, infiltrate enemy camp, say hello to very similar looking glossy eye'd aliens, deliver the payload and head back successfully. Only difference being the portal is under water whereas in Independence Day they had to fly in space. Opposite directions, same idea. How original.

Pearlman's shoe design reminded me of Guts' armor shoe design : p ... AND there's a scene where Mako thinks Raleigh isn't breathing and is dead - she holds on to him tight and after a few seconds Raleigh whispers "You're holding me tight, I can't breathe" or something like that and I looked at my pal pointing to the screen, we both cracked up, reminded us of the Guts-Casca scene and dialog from the 100 Man Slayer incident.

Hilarious to know a $190 million budget film couldn't get good actors. Everyone except a little girl that plays young Mako or regular Pearlman (cracked me up) or the cute dog could have been replaced. Elba forgot he had an accent in some scenes. Mako's presence was full of cringe. Cheesy dialog here n there. I thought the

Father-Son scene in the end was cool

. Watched it in IMAX 3D but I'd like to go back and see it in 2D. The pacing was off. 

Watch Pacific Rim to see pretty cool mech-monster fights. You'll enjoy it IF (i) you switch your brain off for all why or how questions and (ii) don't expect good acting. 
Edited by Pchan

Watch Pacific Rim to see pretty cool mech-monster fights. You'll enjoy it IF (i) you switch your brain off for all why or how questions and (ii) don't expect good acting. 

You need to seriously calm yourself down over movies you hate. You're coming off as someone who hates moviegoers instead of movies.

What's wrong in saying the plot or acting sucked but the movie is worth checking out for two big things fighting? Also, I think I explained why it's a dumb plot and how some things just didn't work on a practical or pure physics front. I don't hate moviegoers. I may not think highly of one's taste in movies if one said they loved every Resident Evil movie or Star Wars episodes I/ II or Twilight movies, etc. 

Edited by Pchan

Because part of seeing something like Pacific Rim has & can include Nostalgia from past shows like Voltron, Power Rangers, etc. And sure those shows are probably brain off, but people may & can still hold fond memories of them despite this.

Beyond this you have continually bashed on movies you weren't planning on seeing anyway. To the point where the difference between you & I saying Brain Off might as well the difference between a Homosexual & a Homophobe saying the word Gay. Your even saying you don't hate moviegoers at this point might as well be the phrase "hate the sin, not the sinner".

Yes it is a Brain Off movie but you're continuing to be derogatory about it.

My first initial reaction to this film was a lot like Pchan's. A part of that stemmed from marathoning anime the past few months. I went in looking for too much in a film that wasn't meant to be that. But as I thought about it the next few days i realized the film was pretty fun overall, and I really like it. especially after discussing its vague ties to Evangelion on facebook and gawker sites. I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

Not every film is meant to be the Citizen Kane of our time. This film was something Del Toro made for fun as a fan of old Godzilla and Gamera movies. I think the same can be said for Man of Steel. It was meant to be one of those films where Superman unleashed because we now have the tech to display that on the screen. As much as I enjoyed the Marvel films, the set ups like in Iron Man 2 and Thor were very long and drawn out, and after the first time watching them, the second time around wasn't as enjoyable. There is a difference in making a film where it reaches out to new audiences that don't know the origins of these characters, and then Man of Steel, which rushes through it, and provides more brawling than dialogue.

I mean c'mon.... XD

Because part of seeing something like Pacific Rim has & can include Nostalgia from past shows like Voltron, Power Rangers, etc. And sure those shows are probably brain off, but people may & can still hold fond memories of them despite this.

Beyond this you have continually bashed on movies you weren't planning on seeing anyway. To the point where the difference between you & I saying Brain Off might as well the difference between a Homosexual & a Homophobe saying the word Gay. Your even saying you don't hate moviegoers at this point might as well be the phrase "hate the sin, not the sinner".

Yes it is a Brain Off movie but you're continuing to be derogatory about it.

Not sure how to quote different parts of your post, so I'll address each para-by-para.

I too love older series and the ones you mentioned. Robotech, Gundam, Macross, Ideon, Yamato, Galactic Heroes, Transformers and so forth. There used to be a TV show that aired every Sunday after He-Man called Giant Robot with Johnny Soko, I adore that and own it on DVD. There's a lot of nostalgia for sure and I recognize that. I enjoyed the mech-kaiju fight, as mentioned earlier. 

I think you yourself need to calm down. In reply to your first sentence - http://www.ancientclan.com/topic/12447-pacific-rim/#entry123399 and http://www.ancientclan.com/topic/12447-pacific-rim/#entry123713

Derogatory? All I said was what I did above (won't say it again because you'll consider that as me 'continuing to be derogatory about something I'm not'). I disagree. I went in with expectations and based on what Del Toro said I expected more. I was disappointed by the acting, dialog and overall plot elements. I'd urge anyone to go watch it for the fights. But me saying that is derogatory to you. 

Edited by Pchan

I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

As will I. I'd like to check out specials the BR comes with - making, interviews and what not. Has a lot of potential to be fun. 

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107242

Looks like we might get another thanks to the international box office.

I've been seldomly following the news on a sequel & how (if I remember correctly)

That Gypsy Danger could come backs as a villainous hybrid of Kaiju & Giant Robot.

Also intrigued whether or not Kaiju have their own thoughts since they do have large frontal lobes. Or if those are technically useless since they're being controlled by other races.

Also whether or not a certain character gets their shoe back.

Either it will be called Atlantic Rim or Antarctic Rim, or they will come from the stars after the rift was sealed. I think Gypsy Danger is as done as Coyote Tango. I'd hope for a new cast. Maybe Mako is the new Marshal. Striker Eureka was the most advanced Jaeger, I'd also expect the new Jaegers to be built on that speedy platform. Outside of being analog, Gypsy Danger was inferior to Striker IMO.

Either it will be called Atlantic Rim or Antarctic Rim, or they will come from the stars after the rift was sealed. I think Gypsy Danger is as done as Coyote Tango. I'd hope for a new cast. Maybe Mako is the new Marshal. Striker Eureka was the most advanced Jaeger, I'd also expect the new Jaegers to be built on that speedy platform. Outside of being analog, Gypsy Danger was inferior to Striker IMO.

Disturbingly there's already an Atlantic Rim.

I think they'll end up calling it Pacific Rim 2 even if it isn't located there. Not to confuse people on why it isn't their but to make sure people know its a sequel.

Pacific Rim 2 is a bad idea, sequels don't always work. Almost every movie that does well gets a sequel these days, people need to stop and focus on other stories. 

"Leatherback even uses a tool (a crane) in its fight with Gipsy Danger, plus Leatherback and Otachi – and Scunner, Slattern and Raiju in the big fight at the end – are supposed to be working together as teams when battling with Jaegers. These aspects of the story either imply that Kaiju are smart (and sentient?), or that they’re controlled by the Precursors. Of course, if the Kaiju are smart and sentient perhaps we should feel sorry for them and wonder why they’re ok with being treated as they are; is it that they’ve been beaten into submission, like trained dancing bears? Could there be a Kaiju revolution one day where they escape bondage and get to live free lives?"

Wouldn't mind seeing a kaiju-only spin-off flick focused on their revolution and independence from Precursors, like Braveheart with kaiju's in it.
Edited by Pchan

So, finally got to see this tonight. And I was right, it was a fun big stompy robot summer movie. XD Choppy plot, somewhat forced cookie cutter characterization, AWESOME robot fight scenes! Unfortunatly, HSpoon knows just enough about nuclear physics to have trouble rationalizing some of the concepts in the movie, but I was heartily entertained, so it's all good.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg