Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Upgrading to Invision Power Board

This is a major announcement about our community.. We are finally ditching vBulletin! We will be switching to Invision Power Board software. We should retain all posts, post counts, albums, private messages, etc. Expect major changes with the overall site. We will be turning ancientclan.com into an actual website again. But it will not be anime based. We have had a good run as an anime site, but its time for us to move away from that specific genre and move towards a more general entertainment website focusing more on movies, television series, video games, anime, things that interest us, etc.

How does this affect our current forums?

1) We will no longer have anime themes. We will save some of our current themes for their color layouts and will be implementing them into different color selections for the site.

2) We will be taking all our current forums, setting them as subforums into an Archive category and we will set them for archived so they will get no new posts but will be available for everyone to view.

3) We will only have a handful of forums. No more anime series specific forums, etc.

4) We will have a variety of new features, I'll get a new shoutbox back up, we will have a full functioning gallery, improved blogs, and an article system for the main site.

The conversion process will be in two parts. First, I will need to install the new software. Second, I will run the conversion software to import all our posts, etc, into the new database. There is no timetable yet for when this will happen. But it will happen sometime in the next 2-3 weekends.

If you have any questions, please ask.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

1) We will no longer have Anime themes. We will save some of our current themes for their color layouts and will be implementing them into different color selections for the site.

As long as I get a Dark Gray Layout that doesn't have to be Star Wars related....

2) We will be taking all our current forums, setting them as sub forums into an Archive category and we will set them for archived so they will get no new posts but will be available for everyone to view.

Good enough so no one new bumps old posts.

3) We will only have a handful of forums. No more Anime series specific forums, etc.

I guess the Anime craze is dying down.... Somehow replaced by MLP....

4) We will have a variety of new features, I'll get a new shout box back up, we will have a full functioning gallery, improved blogs, and an article system for the main site.

I was really starting to miss The Shout Box. Where else was I going to put all those links that weren't good enough for threads?....

If you have any questions, please ask.

Is KOSMOS there?.... *Covers Face*

The new format is so awesome it will melt you face. Get ready AC!
I'd like to take that as innuendo for an Indiana Jones (Raiders Of The Lost Ark) Forum Theme....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I can make a new header for the Vash theme if you want. I just really like the colors! ^_^;;

No thanks, we're going to use one overall header image that will work with all colors.

Oh, and I don't know when I'll add the vash theme colors. I'm going to focus on the conversion first, then add new color styles later once everything is setup. We'll most likely be running the default style, mobile phone theme and a darker style to begin with.

As long as I get a Dark Gray Layout that doesn't have to be Star Wars related....

Good enough so no one new bumps old posts.

I guess the Anime craze is dying down.... Somehow replaced by MLP....

I was really starting to miss The Shout Box. Where else was I going to put all those links that weren't good enough for threads?....

Is KOSMOS there?.... *Covers Face*

I'd like to take that as innuendo for an Indiana Jones (Raiders Of The Lost Ark) Forum Theme....

Yes, darker theme will be available. It may look messed up at first because I'll use an auto-generated theme based on 4 colors.

MLP? My little pony? lmao. X'D

We'll have a new shout box, but instead of just a shout box everyone will have their own status updates where they can also post random things in and ppl can reply to.

No KOSMOS... :(

No Indiana Jones theme. X'D

I forgot to mention, I'll most likely put the arcade back up at some point. That might take me a bit longer to get back up tho. The chatbox and arcade will be modifications and are not part of the basic install. So those may not be up right away.

I will do this conversion this upcoming weekend.

If anyone wants to recommend a color style based off our current themes, please recommend it. I will keep an old copy of this forum for reference to themes and in case something with the conversion fails.

Also, please keep track of your current post count and if you want to save a backup of your private messages, do so before friday. Everything should convert over, but there is always the possibility that somethings might be lost.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Well, the latest vb update has screwed up our blog links in our profiles and I keep getting a db error message in the blog email system. *stabs vb* release a gold version already!
    • By Sledgstone
      I was looking at the vbulletin website the other day and they made an announcement about the newest version of vb they're working on, version 4.0. Aside from a 3.8x or 3.9 version thats supposed to come out in a couple weeks, the new 4.0 version is probably going to come out in a 6 months to a year (I base this on vb staff's inability to never announce anything anywhere near its actual release date). But it is interesting nonetheless, because version 4.0 is a complete rewrite of the forum code. But the nice thing, is that they announced that they are working with current code modders to make sure existing mods will directly work with the release of the new version. Which means we should be able to keep the arcade, mood feature, vbadvanced on the homepage, etc. even after a major upgrade like this. Very nice.
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280752
    • By Sledgstone
      The new vbulletin should be released in a beta version sometime in the second quarter of 2009.
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293772
      They are finally going to make a new default style, they're also going to make a CMS (content management system), so we can finally change the main ancientclan.com site into something more than a splash page while keeping it integrated into the forums. Yay! And the other really nice thing is that all the attachment problems will finally be fixed. Once they have the new attachment system finished, whenever we upload any image to our blog, the forums or our personal albums, they'll all be integrated. So if we upload a pic to the forum as an attachment it'll be available in our albums as well. And if you upload pics to your album, you can easily attach them into a post by clicking a little button and then choosing any pics from any of your albums to be inserted into any of your posts.
      And it also sounds like they're going to integrate the blog, albums and social groups into the overall forum too.
      Everything should be alot spiffier. I'm guessing they'll release the beta around april or may.
    • By Sledgstone
      One of the people at vBulletin posted a blog entry showing what we should expect the new default vb style to look like. Seeing as me n lady like to make new styles based off the vbulletin default one, it should change the overall look of the forums. Click this link for some pics of what it'll look like:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php?b=2360
    • By Sledgstone
      vBulletin Suite vs. vBulletin - vBulletin Community Forum
      Once again vb is pissing me off. We spent the extra one time fee of $50 for the blog addon. But since they are changing their packages and price structures around, they are going to dick people over. They still have not announced their price structures or upgrade fees, but now we definitely know that upgrading to vb4 suite will cost us money.
      They will no longer sell their add-on products individually anymore, which means that we'll have to upgrade to the vBulletin suite to continue getting updates for the blog add-on we already have. This is retarded. I wouldn't mind getting the vbulletin cms, I was planning on it actually. But unless it was worth another $50 (or whatever the price they're changing it to now) I wouldn't buy it. But, now we'll have to buy the suite upgrade which includes the CMS, Blog and Project Tools just to continue getting updates for the blog! WTF!? We have absolutely no need for the Project Tools add-on. If we were still a hosting company we could have used it for a support desk, but we no longer have a need for anything like that now.
      So thanks alot vb. I hope to god the cost to upgrade to the suite is low because if the price is to high, I'll be willing to spend the little extra cash to switch over the IPB just to spite your fucking money hungry, non-supportive, no major scheduled updates company. And their CMS better be something fucking amazing and have a gallery built into it, because if its just a page maker or a rip-off of vb advanced (free) like the blog is a slightly better rip-off of wordpress (free), then I am going to be even more seriously pissed off.