Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Home speaker/ system setups

So lets discuss what we have as far as current setups go and even bounce off ideas of what is cool out there.

I currently have NO setup for my TV/ LP player/ Laptop. I'm looking to get something soon. Like a receiver/ amplifier that maybe hooks up speakers/ tweeters to my record player and TV or CD player all at the same time, if possible.

Any good/ bad experiences with a wireless setup?

Pictures?

Lets do it! Go.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I've never used a wireless speaker setup. I don't see why it wouldn't work good, but it makes me wonder what frequency the speakers would run on and how the speakers would be powered. Unless the speakers are running on batteries you'll have to have a wire somewhere just to power each of them. Regular speaker wires carries the sound and the power to the speakers from the receiver/amp so you only have to worry about hiding the speaker wire along the ceilings or under rugs on the floor. Professional installers can run speaker wire thru the walls to hide them from sight.

If you have no speakers or receiver/amp, I recommend buying a set so you don't have to worry about not having a powerful enough, or too powerful amp for the speakers you decide on. You also have to think about how much sound you want. If your ceiling/walls/floor conducts sound too much your neighbors may end up hating you and your subwoofer. :P

As for our setup, we have something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+1000W+5.1-Ch.+3D+/+Wi-Fi+Blu-ray+Home+Theater+System/4550898.p?id=1218487059406&skuId=4550898&st=sony%20home%20theater&cp=1&lp=6

Something like that, but nothing like this. I say that because our system is about 8 years old and its a receiver/amp in one like many models are. Except the ones nowadays have bluray or dvd players built in and have wifi so it can play netflix right to your tv. The only thing this particular set has in common with mine is that it is Sony and has 5 speakers and a subwoofer. I would not buy this particular system because it has a passive subwoofer. I hate those. So much extra wiring to power the sub. Make sure whatever system you get has a powered/active subwoofer. You'll know its a powered sub because it literally has a power cord on the back of it to plug into the wall.

Oh.. and I replaced the center speaker with an awesome Acoustic Research center speaker I've owned since the 90s back when AR was high quality stuff.

As for all the hookups. Take pics on your phone of the devices you want to hook up to your new sound system. Mostly the backs of the devices so you can visibly see the outputs and the kind of connections you will need to have on the receiver. So many online stores do not have a picture of the back of the damn receiver which is infuriating. You usually have to go to the store or keep looking around online to find out exactly what connections are available on the back and if it has the correct connections/inputs you need. Anyway, take some pics so when you go to the store you can ask an employee to help you find the receivers/speaker systems that fit your needs and then listen to each one.. and then take into account the size of your room's acoustics to decide on the right setup for you.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'm a bit hesitant to use a wi-fi system come to think of it, my internet keeps dropping on me because all the electrical ports in the apartment aren't 'earthed'. I've been meaning to fix it, but don't have the time or am not home till late.

Thanks for the link and info! I won't go with that particular system/ set up because I currently have a Blu Ray/ DVD Player in a PS3/ laptop. What'll make sense is to get an amplifier that I can connect my vinyl player, TV, laptop to which hosts speakers.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

why dont you just look into getting a 2.1 sound bar? They are pretty decent.

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link