Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

If you haven't heard yet. Diablo has opened its beta from Friday til Monday. I've beaten it with the barbarian.

Keys are basically the same from Diablo II

Mana is replaced by a whole different entity that differs from character to character. (In the case of the barbarian, Fury is gained and maintained through dealing damage to foes... it dissipates when you are not fighting)

Items you aren't using in your inventory tell you what they will sell for.

Blacksmith system is very interesting... items that aren't worth selling can be broken down into elements that can be used to make a greater item later.

The belt storage system is done away with

You can purchase more space in your chest

No more identifying crap through deckard, or ID scrolls... you just left click the item and it is done... at least i hope this is the formula in the retail game.

Boss fights require some type of strategy other than running up, bashing the hell out of him while mashing the potion button at the same time. X'D

You dont lose all your armor/money/weapons when you die... instead, your equipment take damage. I like this improvement the best... there was nothing worse in DII than getting slaughtered by a room full of elite archers and trying to get your body back.

Dislikes:

Level up system seems to be a lot more basic than Diablo II, You don't get to increase attributes like Strength, Dexterity, etc. However I do like the rune enhancements gained through your skills.

On the fence about:

They changed their mind about potions on and off during the development of the game, and ended up keeping both ideas. While you still have potions; champion/rare/elite enemies will drop the health blobs that were originally suppose to replace the potion system all together. Healing fountains still exist as well. Not something I dislike, because the blobs save me from having to use the potions that come in handy during a boss battle. I guess I just subconsciously miss mashing the 1-2-3-4 keys as I'm taking massive damange. lol... I sure dont miss replenishing my belt.... btw potions are on a time delay... you can use them once every 20 seconds or so.

Town portal takes 5-10 seconds to activate... No more quick escapes to town when you're in trouble... I think they did this mostly for boss fights... if thats the case they should just deactivate portal durning boss battles and leave it the same in a dungeon. On the plus side, No scrolls.. You can do it infinitely.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Don't know about you DX, but I couldn't use my portal during Leoric. It was my understanding that it was disabled for bosses.

D3 is fucking incredible. Screw D2, Sledge, get D3 ASAP. Loving it.

3-1.gif

yeah teh Beta was a blast :3 the monk is so BA omg had a blast with it :)

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Honestly I'm not that overly impressed (then again I'm sort of jaded, every time I wanted to get on the freaking game was down for maintenance or I was getting kicked every 10 minutes). Still going to buy it but I'll save my actual impressions for when I actually get to play the damn thing

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Don't know about you DX, but I couldn't use my portal during Leoric. It was my understanding that it was disabled for bosses.

D3 is fucking incredible. Screw D2, Sledge, get D3 ASAP. Loving it.

Yeah it's disabled for boss fights. Me and my friend use to exploit the crap out of that in D2. we'd open portals, and run in and out of the other's portal during boss battles... that was fixed on the Baal expansion though. lol

yeah teh Beta was a blast :3 the monk is so BA omg had a blast with it :)

Hell yeah. He can't take the same punishment the barbarian can, but that healing mantra is really a second potion button... def made up for it vs. the Skeleton King. His teleport punch is just nasty.

Strider you must have had real bad luck :P I think i beat the game for every class but the barb and could have honestly did it one sitting

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I played Friday night from 10 til about 2am. Saturday I got on around 11am, played til about noon when the servers were taken down for maintenance... they didn't come back up til around 6pm. Sunday I got on around 3pm, played until 4pm, servers were taken down... Once I entered the Skeleton Kings tomb, i was informed I had 5 minutes, and I beat it with a minute to spare. Severs were back up around 7pm. Played a little bit with the Wizard, but didn't care for her too much... just not my play style...

All times are CST time. Saturday's outage was a little silly. That would be the day where the most people would play it. But it is a server stress test.... something Call of Duty forgot about with their "professional beta testers". Even Battlefield is bad about that.... real bad. Every BF game that's ever come out never works right on day one. Servers crash everytime. I want Diablo working right on day one. :P They have to get it right seeing as you have to have worker servers for even single player mode. :rolleyes:

That aspect doesn't really bother me, but for the people it does, I dont see why they couldn't have used D2's formula to where your offline characters and equipment couldn't be used on battlenet. But now that they have this formula, they better not delete characters after 90 days of no log ins... I've lost my level 80 barbarian forever because of that crap on D2.

My play windows are limited because I work weekends (and nights none-the-less). Plus I only game for roughly 1-2 hours before work and I don't game in the morning after work so I got royally screwed because my times always fell during their maintenance times (if the stress test is any indication I might as well wait a month before I even start playing, Blizz is notorious for server issues on day one (remembers WoW's launch 8 years ago, that was freaking horrible)).

Barely even got into the cathedral on the demon hunter (made level 5, gave up when I was getting dc'd every 10 minutes) and barely made it into old tristram on the wizard (same problem). So yeah........very disappointed with the lack of play time I got and couldn't be impressed with the lack of stuff I got to see (though I will say I'm not liking the wizard, why couldn't they have just brought the sorc back for D2).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

The wizard gets better after a few levels :3....Arcane orb is nice =D and frost nova of course

eppyomega.png