Sign in to follow this  
Myk JL

Mass Effect: Steam or Origin?

I originally bought Mass Effect for the PC on Amazon from Galactics. However they sold me the UK version so I'll be returning it. (They are false advertising with a US copy.)

I was about to join Steam but then I started comparing it to Origin. I wanted to get the entire trilogy from Steam at first. But now I'm under the impression that Steam won't be getting Mass Effect 3. The Steam versions of 1 & 2 also half price currently when I checked. But it doesn't sound worth it if they can't work with Mass Effect 3 if Mass Effect 3 is Origin exclusive.

Mass Effect

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17460/

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.102427200/sac.true

Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901242/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.169251600/sac.true

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I haven't used origin that much, but considering its run by EA they've been doing more exclusives and will probably switch all EA products to it eventually I think. *shrug* btw, I haven't played any of the mass effect games. Is there some restriction that they need to be installed under the same client or something? Because (as far as i know) everything i've installed with steam can be run independently from the steam client. The only reason I use the steam client all the time and launch the game from it is because it can keep track of my total playing time, all my steam achievements and it lists all my games so I don't have to keep a bunch of shortcuts all over my desktop.

Oh, and I don't own a single game thru origin except for a plants vs zombies demo. So I can't really compare the two clients. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Origin. EA is feuding with them since BF3. Its sad for ME fans on PC because your saves from 1 and 2 are suppose to affect intricate parts of ME3. Luckly for me I'll be playing mine on Xbox.

Sledge, you're missing out. Mass Effect is an amazing story with some fantastic action RPG gameplay. The 1st one has its drags, but the second cleans it all up. Its on par with KOTOR 1... except its an original story. I don't think Bioware will ever top their work on this series.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Origin. EA is feuding with them since BF3. Its sad for ME fans on PC because your saves from 1 and 2 are suppose to affect intricate parts of ME3.
I'll just take the safe route then & get it from Origin.

I guess if I get anything from Steam it'll be The Witcher games.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Origin. EA is feuding with them since BF3. Its sad for ME fans on PC because your saves from 1 and 2 are suppose to affect intricate parts of ME3. Luckly for me I'll be playing mine on Xbox.

Ah, no kidding. Then that would suck ass for everyone that has incompatible saves. You would think a company would make a save game conversion feature so you can transfer your progress from one platform to another or in between consoles for the same games.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

LOL. That has lawsuits written all over it. EA will probably have a package deal for ME1&2 on sale or something. The game will still play without the saves. But it wont be the same for those that started with one. Supposedly decisions you made all the way back to the first game will effect parts of the story in ME3. Its pretty cool how they do that. There was a bit of it in ME2. With 2 games worth of previously made choices(180-250 hours worth of gameplay), there is no telling how much you could miss out on.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Having it from Steam only means your saves are in another location. You should still be able to import into ME3 when it comes out. After all, you can mod the Steam version of ME just fine.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

ME 1 and 2 are 5$ each today on steam

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link