Sign in to follow this  
gokuDX7

RIP bill of rights

Has anyone else been following what's going on with our government this past month? They've been trying to secretly push through bills that essentially turn our country into a military state, eliminate our bill of rights, or give the president dictatorial powers even when he doesn't necessarily want them.

This is one of the most recent bills they passed with only 7 congress members opposing it. This bill is to prevent terrorism of course but towards the end it contradicts itself basically saying anyone, including US citizens, can be detained for an unspecified amount of time without a trial as a prisoner of war. Obama has already mentioned he'd veto it but only 7 congress members voted against the bill so it will most likely be passed even if Obama veto's it. What's sad is the only reason Obama wants to veto it is because under this bill, if military detains you, you're considered a POW and must be treated with decency under the Geneva convention agreement. If the bill is not passed then you can be detained as a terrorist which is a loop hole in the Geneva convention and allows for prisoner torture (what they've been doing so far).

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/senate-military-detention/

Then we've got the The PROTECT IP 2011 bill (ie. RIAA/MPAA bill) that congress is passing. If you're suspected of facilitating infringement of copyright laws, the government can legally steal your domain in the name of preventing piracy. This means if someone posts a link to some copyright mp3 on your site the government could legally seize your domain. Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Mozilla and all the major Internet player's are fighting this for obvious reasons. There's no way a website owner can enforce this or prevent their users from posting links to infringing content without removing free speech from the web. The bill has been revised several times. Hopefully it wont be as extreme as this when it's finalized.

Oh and in other news police are now trying to restrict reporters from reporting the news. I don't even care about the protests but the fact that the police can pull stuff like this is bullshit. http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/11/occupy_la_eviction_lapd_pool_media.php

Edited by gokuDX7
spelling corrections

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Yes, that is some f*cked up shit.

DX, Yes! I was going to post that exact sentance! X'D

In regards to the PROTECT IP 2011, I've read articles about other countries having the same kind of bill being voted on. I don't know if any passed or not, but it is ridiculous. There is no way to control the amount of spam out there. No one will be able to stop random spammers from posting links. Basically the government knows this and if they pass this law it will give the government the legal right to take control of any website without notice at their leisure. I think its mostly to be able to seize control of all the main sites, facebook, twitter, all search engines, etc. and put a lock down on the internet whenever the government need arises.

And I think it was canada or some other country that passed a law that makes it illegal to have an alias online. Could you believe that? Have a username other than your own legal name and you will be subject to arrest!? wtf. Imagine that getting voted on in the US. They'd better be ready for a civil war. XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Yet another reason to hate the government now.

Sledge, yes. The RIAA and MPAA have been out stepping their boundary and have been pressuring pretty much every country to push through several different types of systems to prevent pirating. Taking people's site domains is just one of the few. I know the EU passed a few of these types of things last year. People are rightfully moaning about it. What's sad is in the US the Government can already take your domain right now without this bill as long as your site contains something illegal on it. Here's a good read http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/wyden-domain-seizure/

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Sign in to follow this