Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Google + vs. Facebook

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/06/google-attempts-to-take-on-facebook-with-new-social-networking-service-google.html

Can Google be social?

The Internet search giant whose mission is to organize the world's information will try to organize the world's people with a social networking service that is designed to rival the growing influence of Facebook.

The service called Google+ will let people share their lives and do the kinds of things they already do on Facebook such as post status updates, photos and links. Its focus is on sharing with small groups rather than your entire universe of friends. (That's probably what led Google to offer to buy Dave Morin's Path).

It's initially only open to a limited number of Google users who will eventually be able to invite others.

This is a risky gambit for Google, which has had a string of social networking flops, most recently Buzz. It's also a project that co-founder and chief executive Larry Page has personally overseen.

Page knows Google has to make the transition from a Web that connects pages and a Web that connects people. Facebook threatens Google's hegemony as the Web's most popular destination and one of its biggest moneymakers.

All that sharing taking place on Facebook is largely inaccessible to Google and other search engines. And Facebook is consuming a lot of people's time. In May, 180 million people visited Google sites, including YouTube, according to research firm ComScore. More than 157 million visited Facebook. And those Facebook users spent an average of 375 minutes on the site versus 231 minutes on Google.

Why is that important? Advertisers are watching. It's not clear that gains at Facebook are costing Google –- yet. But clearly that could happen.

Does Google have it in its DNA to become a social destination? It clearly has been adding plenty of talent that have the know how. Google+ is part of an urgent effort underway for months under the codename Emerald Sea.

But many observers say Google has moved too slowly to counter Facebook. Even Google's chairman Eric Schmidt, the company's CEO for more than a decade, recently admitted that.

Schmidt said he "screwed up" in social networking. "I clearly knew I had to do something and I failed to do it," he said.

One of the most major screw ups was a social networking service for Gmail users called Buzz which automatically included their e-mail contacts in the network, setting off a firestorm. Google changed the service and in March settled with the Federal Trade Commission and agreed to 20 years of privacy audits.

Google seems to have learned a lesson with Google+ about people's desire to control what information they share. That may get the attention of the folks at Facebook.

Will you use Google + ?

I've been needing to write an article... basically google and facebook knows everything about everyone at this point. There is no more privacy on the internet. O_O and now if google does a popular social network to kick facebook to the curb.. then damn.. google will have all information about everyone. Thats scary to me. Once they get their own version of facebook connect running, then its all over! x_x

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/06/Google-attempts-to-take-on-facebook-with-new-social-networking-service-google.html

Will you use Google + ?

I've been needing to write an article... basically google and face book knows everything about everyone at this point. There is no more privacy on the INTERNET. O_O and now if google does a popular social network to kick face book to the curb.. then damn.. google will have all information about everyone. Thats scary to me. Once they get their own version of face book connect running, then its all over! x_x

I don't use G Mail so I doubt I'll use Google Plus.

I don't know if Google & FB know everything about me. I keep finding other people with similar names to me or my other accounts. Some won't share what they know without being paid for it so its not worth it.

On a creepy side note guess who got a DWI in april?....

Yeah I need to really ignore that person's police blotter....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

yeah.. forget that person..

btw, its not about a person's name.. its about their IP#. Google and facebook know everyone by their ip#... they know soooo much. x_x

The only thing I find via my IP is stating that its a private IP owned by my router or various others who share my IP.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

The whole "FB and Google know everything about you" is by name and IP. Realistically speaking you should only be putting things you want public on the Internet even if the site claims to be private and secure. IP is moot considering it's a public address. However your full name, phone number, local address, photos of your kids, what your interests are...etc are all things that could esily be found when searching your full name or part of it.

Back on topic though. I've been using G+ for a while now and I'm pretty happy with the progress they've made. If you use twitter AND facebook then you'll definitely be pleased with Google+. It's almost like both sites merged. There's still some functionality issues that they need to address but overall use is pretty good. I love how easy it is to share content with the people you want. Facebook's groups act the same exact way as Google's circles with the exception that Google's circles are much easier to organize and find. Almost everything requires you to select a circle so it makes it far more secure.

If anyone wants an invite just PM me your gmail address. I've got unlimited invites and google's lifted the max number of users who can join per day now :).

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

The whole "FB and Google know everything about you" is by name and IP. Realistically speaking you should only be putting things you want public on the Internet even if the site claims to be private and secure.

Exactly. But a large amount of people put everything on the internet. Even in private messages. I honestly need to block google ads from displaying in PMs and in private forums here. Any page that loads with a google ad or a facebook connect script on it gives google and/or facebook full access to all content on that page. Sure they can say that their scripts only scan the page for relevant keywords for ad displaying purposes.. Yeah.. but considering that google ads and facebook connect scripts are on the majority of all websites now, google and facebook can track your internet browsing based on your IP. They can track via your IP# all sites that you loaded with their scripts/ads on them and then datamine it to get a full profile on everyone on an individual level.. its a crapload of data but advertisers pay big for consumer data and targeted ads. And even if you are on a public IP it could be a bit more private, but once you log into google or facebook then can pretty much determine who a person is based on their previous data for your account/ip/sites you visit.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100622/0340389918.shtml

Regardless if google calls it accidental data retention or not... google is in the business of substantial data mining. And now that facebook connect is on almost every website now just like google ads.. facebook has the potential for massive data collection of everyone on the internet.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

At this point, the only way to keep ALL your information COMPLETLY private is to never use the internet. Oh wait, you've been using it, which means you've put something online and nothing ever really gets fully deleted so someone somewhere has your info. The chances of them doing anything with it are slim, but yeah.

And people wonder why I never use my real name on ANYTHING online. ><

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

At this point, the only way to keep ALL your information COMPLETELY private is to never use the Internet. Oh wait, you've been using it, which means you've put something online and nothing ever really gets fully deleted so someone somewhere has your info. The chances of them doing anything with it are slim, but yeah.

And people wonder why I never use my real name on ANYTHING online. ><

:picknose:

The next step in their diabolical plan must be to force anyone with a user name to now be legally known by that instead. People with multiple user names will have to choose to be known by only one of them. Any further new user names beyond that by said user without informing them will be met with swift legal action under now said false identity.

.... just kidding....

Will you use Google + ?

maybe later sometime but not now

pretty sick of the whole soc networking shit

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Do any of you use a specific VPN service for privacy? If so do you recommend a specific company? My older brother uses PureVPN life time subscription and swears by it. He has all his PC's setup with it and his family's cell phones via an app. I'm not as concerned about my privacy, google already knows everything already.. but when I want to download specific things I'll use windscribe's free vpn. I've been using it off and on for a couple months and it seems to work great so far without affecting my download rates too much. I noticed this deal earlier today and I upgraded my 10 gb/month plan to 60 gb. Heres the link:
      https://slickdeals.net/f/10310132-windscribe-vpn-free-60gb-per-month-new-or-existing-accounts
      Windscribe is decent since it has a browser extension for quick toggling private browsing and a separate software that applies to everything running on the PC. Anyone else have a VPN recommendation?
    • By Sledgstone
      I came across a website that was using vbulletin, but had a facebook chat bar.. I thought, wtf? But after looking around a bit, I stumbled across this site:
      http://www.cometchat.com/
      Interesting. I wouldn't mind having a feature like this on AC. It be like a built in instant messenger. Very spiffy.
    • By Sledgstone
      In a surprising move, Amazon has purchased Twitch, beating out the looming Google / YouTube acquisition.
      This should be a good move for twitch. Amazon definitely has the hardware to support the site.
      Source: Twitch
    • By Sledgstone
      In a surprising move, Amazon has purchased Twitch, beating out the looming Google / YouTube acquisition.
      This should be a good move for twitch. Amazon definitely has the hardware to support the site.
      Source: Twitch
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone
      Facebook became as popular as it has because of dumb corporations. Years ago every company jumped on the facebook bandwagon and made a facebook page for every single product, show, movie, etc. I would see billboards on the freeway advertising a product and at the bottom there would be "facebook logo / product" or "facebook.com/nbc" or some crap like that. Companies decided they no longer needed to make their own websites any more. They would simply make a facebook page for everything! They would promote the hell out of their facebook pages through advertisements so they could get as many "likes" as possible. By clicking "Like" on a facebook page, it meant that you would see all of that company's posts in your timeline. NBC took down their own official forums and took down most of the websites for their shows in favor of all their hundreds, possibly thousands of facebook pages.

Years later facebook had an IPO. They now have stock holders that want the company to make money. First facebook let companies that had "Likes" post advertisements on people's friend's feeds as if that person's friend made the post. Facebook stopped doing that after numerous complaints during the last presidential election.

So here it is now.. for the last year+ Facebook has put a new money making strategy into effect. All those company's pages out there with their thousands and millions of likes are now all restricted. Even though these companies and individuals invested time and money to promote their facebook pages so they can keep in contact with their customers and fans easier, Facebook itself is using that against them all. Including us. Whenever you make a post to a facebook page, Facebook has a link that says "Boost Post". "Boosting" a post for money will allow me to forcefully place my post into the time lines of the people that have liked my page. "Promote a post" is also available for regular users that have massive followers like George Takei. He has even commented that only 10% of people who follow him will actually see his posts unless he "Promotes them".

We have a Facebook page with 39 likes:

https://www.facebook.com/ancientclan

A few years ago, I would post links to it when we did updates. We would often have posts seen by around 30 people, which was fine. People who actually liked the page got to see when a new article was posted. That was the whole point of me making a page for the site. As it is now, Facebook Pages are completely pointless money pits for Facebook to capitalize on.

If you don't pay Facebook money:

You don't get any views:

I was one of the two people that saw this post that I made over 2 weeks ago. Facebook Pages are pointless. I'd say I feel bad for NBC and all those other companies that invested their time and money into their Facebook Pages, but I'm not. They are the ones that made facebook as popular as it is and now they are paying for it. Eventually companies will start focusing their time and effort into their own actual sites again because it'll become cheaper to do that than pay facebook buckets of money for every post they make. And guess which companies still advertise their facebook pages on billboards or in TV commercials? Hardly none, if any, are still dumb enough to promote another company's website that will lead them into a blackhole of facebook payments.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to announce that I will no longer be updating the Ancient Clan Facebook page. Facebook might get around to changing their policy for smaller pages, but until then I have no interest in "Promoting" or "Boosting" anything. Feel free to follow us on twitter or just check back on the site once in a while to see our new posts and articles.

https://twitter.com/ancientclan

And of course:

http://www.ancientclan.com/