Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

News Corp Bans Cablevision Customers From Watching Hulu

http://gizmodo.com/5665721/news-corp-bans-cablevision-customers-from-watching-hulu

News Corp. and Cablevision are currently stuck in a classic cable vs programming "we pay too much, you pay too little" fight. But this time around News Corp. is flexing more muscle by banning Cablevision Internet users from accessing Hulu too.

When the clock struck midnight on Saturday, Cablevision customers could no longer watch FOX on their TV. That's because News Corp. (which owns FOX) and Cablevision couldn't come to an agreement on the fees that Cablevision should pay News Corp. It's something that's happened before with other networks and other cable providers but the new twist is that News Corp. is using their stake in Hulu to ban Cablevision Internet users from accessing FOX content on Hulu as well.

The problem this raises is that if programmers are using a ban of accessing Hulu (an internet website, after all) as leverage against a cable provider for TV fees, it's only going to kill the hope and promise of net neutrality. If cable providers and programmers continue to have their way, the web could turn into the big fucking mess that cable is.

And even worse, what happens when a cable provider and progammer, like for example Comcast—which owns NBC and thus has a stake in Hulu—one day decides that in order to access NBC content on Hulu, you need to have Comcast and other cable providers get locked out? It's a messy situation that's bound to get messier with the new and different avenues of content we can access now. [All Things D]

Any time warner cable customer should know about their "Roll over or get tough" campaigns where they want customer input on their money wars with content providers. But Fox/News Corp takes the cake with this bullshit. Banning cablevision high speed users from accessing their videos on hulu has nothing to do with the cable fees related to their channel programming. Hulu covers its costs with advertisements not with channel fees for cable customers. This is why we need Net Neutrality.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

news corp needs to get sued for extortion

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Comcast dropped it's bid for the Fox properties. Looks like Disney will get all their comic character licenses back at this rate.
      https://io9.gizmodo.com/comcast-drops-its-bid-to-buy-fox-meaning-theres-nothin-1827713684

• By Sledgstone
      Ehhh... I'm so sick of the reboot origin story movies. And it doesn't look as good as the previous two Fantastic Four movies either.
    • By Sledgstone
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJxjYRXYkU
      Stand aside Morgan Freeman, Neil deGrasse Tyson will now explain the COSMOS. This trailer shows some nice images of space, but doesn't go into any detail about the series. I'm looking forward to this series.
    • By Sledgstone
      Stand aside Morgan Freeman, Neil deGrasse Tyson will now explain the COSMOS. This trailer shows some nice images of space, but doesn't go into any detail about the series. I'm looking forward to this series.
      Click here to view the article
    • By Kite
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwxg534yAw
      Looks very good and high production for a tv series
      Judge Dredd meets iRobot
      Karl Urban + JJ Abrams = awesome
      cant wait
      The show will be predictable, solve murders each week, while the robot teaches the human what it means to be alive
      and how the human grows to trust the robot
      but this is one ill be following
      Also i am glad when film stars do TV shows as the quality is usually higher (24)
      but the worry is they don't like to be tied up for too long due to a film deal that pays way more for a lot less time