Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Fla. pastor wins car for canceling Quran burning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101015/ap_on_re_us/us_promise_to_preacher

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. — Car dealer Brad Benson made the pitch to Florida pastor Terry Jones in one of his quirky radio ads: If you don't burn a Quran, I'll give you a new car.

He was surprised, though, when a representative for Jones called to collect the 2011 Hyundai Accent, retailing for $14,200.

"They said unless I was doing false advertising, they would like to arrange to pick up the car," Benson recalled. At first he thought it was a hoax, so Benson asked Jones to send in a copy of his driver's license. He did.

Jones, of Gainesville, Fla., told The Associated Press that the free car wasn't the reason he called off the burning — and that he didn't even hear about the offer until a few weeks after Sept. 11, when he had threatened to set the Muslim holy book on fire.

He said he plans to donate the car to an organization that helps abused Muslim women.

The pastor will have to pick up the car at Brad Benson Mitsubishi Hyundai in South Brunswick — known locally for Benson's radio ads focusing more on current events than cars — so he can fill out paperwork. No date has been set for the handover.

Jones had threatened to burn the Quran over plans to build an Islamic center and mosque near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago. Muslims revere the book as the word of God and view its destruction as sacrilege.

His plans drew opposition across the world. President Barack Obama appealed to him on television, and Defense Secretary Robert Gates called him personally. Gen. David Petraeus, head of the U.S. mission in Afghanistan, said carrying out the plan would have endangered American troops.

Benson, a former New York Giants offensive lineman, said he originally offered Jones use of a car for a year if he refused to burn a Quran ever.

"I just didn't think that was a good thing for our country right now," Benson said.

He's now giving Jones the car outright because he doesn't want to be connected to whatever the Florida pastor does with it.

"I don't want to be involved in the politics of that," Benson said.

Before he made his decision, Benson asked listeners to weigh in on whether he should honor his promise.

More than 2,600 people responded by phone and e-mail, and the vast majority, Benson said, urged him to keep his word.

One caller suggested painting sayings from various religious books — the Quran, the Talmud, the King James Bible — on the car.

"What you didn't say was what the car was going to look like when you gave it to him," the caller said.

Another caller told Benson to "be a man" and keep his promise. And some encouraged Benson to pick his own charity to get a car.

In 2003, Benson offered another newsmaker — Saddam Hussein — a new car if he fled Iraq. That commercial wasn't as successful, and Benson pulled the ad after two days, replacing it with one apologizing for any offense that was taken.

The Quran commercial was part of a regular "idiot award" segment Benson has singled out others for, including Lindsey Lohan, Mel Gibson and Roger Clemens.

"We don't have your typical car commercial," Benson said.

But they are memorable — and effective. Three years ago, he was selling 60 cars a month, he said. Today, that number is between 500 and 600 — making him one of the state's most successful dealers.

(This version CORRECTS that Benson was offensive lineman with New York Giants, instead of center.)

Maybe next year he'll get a new mustang for being an idiot when he does the same thing again. :rolleyes:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

he doesn't deserve a car regardless of what he intends to do with it

he does deserve a fucking punch in the face and another in the nads

I wanna beat the livin piss out of fuckin christers like this asshole

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      I heard these articles a couple years ago and I mostly forgot about it, but after thinking about it again the other day I figured I'd post a topic about this. The first article is in 2 parts and its basically about how sea level rise is going to make an island nation non-existent in the future because of the amount of land they are loosing over time. But its also about how the people living there have faith in their religion that their land will be saved. I don't really see it working out too good for these people. The second article is about another island nation loosing land based on erosion due to dieing off coral reefs. Both are interesting reads.

After looking at these two articles I noticed the comments are filled with the constant political argument of Global Warming being a hoax. Fox News of course is the largest organization pushing the hoax opinion and its obvious their fanbase loves to spread their message. Regardless of the comments in the article, I think its a combination of sea level rise along with erosion and most likely improper treatment of beach front land that is causing these large issues. The US and many other countries fight off beach erosion by rebuilding beaches with sand pumping and building new reefs to help break waves along the coastlines. But for these small islands they don't have the resources to repair erosion, fix inundated land or repair reefs. There could the be case that the islands are sinking, but that wouldn't cause the islands to be under water in a mere 50 years. With all the factors involved, sea level rise does appear to be making a lot of the land uninhabitable.

With these facts most of the people living on these islands don't think anything bad is going to happen at all and often make jokes about climate change. Even with their own government issuing warnings about the changes happening to their islands and that moving to Australia may be a complete reality within half a century many of their citizens believe that God will not let anything happen to the islands and that everyone else is completely wrong. I can understand having faith.. but being ignorant of facts could really screw over these island communities.

Climate Change And Faith Collide In Kiribati
      Part 1 of 2:
      http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133650679/climate-change-and-faith-collide-in-kiribati

Preparing For Sea Level Rise, Islanders Leave Home
      Part 2 of 2:
      http://www.npr.org/2011/02/17/133681251/preparing-for-sea-level-rise-islanders-leave-home

Seychelles Sinks As Climate Change Advances:
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130049417
    • By Sledgstone
      http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/17338.html
      I must have missed these two episodes... I wonder how many threats comedy central received to force them to start censoring south park.