Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Gliese 581G

article

Scientists have found a new planet called Gliese 581g and this made them all go crazy: why? Because it’s the first really truly Goldilocks planet. The Gliese 581g planet has an atmosphere, gravity, and the average temperature is -12 degrees Celsius. Yeah, it’s cold, but life is possible there.

Wiki

Gliese 581 g (pronounced /ˈɡliːzə/) or Gl 581 g,[2] is an extrasolar planet, orbiting the red dwarf star Gliese 581, approximately 20.5 light-years[3] away from Earth in the constellation of Libra. It is the sixth planet discovered in the Gliese 581 planetary system and the fourth in order of increasing distance from the star. The planet was discovered by the Lick-Carnegie Exoplanet Survey after more than a decade of observation. Despite the Gliese 581 system having a "somewhat checkered history of habitable planet claims,"[1] results from the study imply that the planet is located in the middle of the Goldilocks, or habitable zone of its parent star, where the existence of liquid water is considered a strong possibility.[4]

The discovery of Gliese 581 g was announced in late September 2010,[1] and it is believed to be the first Goldilocks planet ever found, the most Earth-like planet, and the best exoplanet candidate with the potential for harboring life found to date.[5] The detection of Gliese 581 g in such a short period of time and at such a close proximity, leads astronomers to believe that the occurrence of habitable planets around other stars may be much higher than was once thought.

Derrick Pitts of The Franklin Institute discusses.

[ame]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/39449770#39449770[/ame]

:glasses:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Yeah this came out 3 days ago ... pretty cool stuff! Only problem is how do we get there. Event Horizon ftw.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

us getting there at this time is not worth it. sending probes however would be esp if the found life and thriving ecosystems. That ought to nullify religion

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

It'd be epic if a probe got there and discovered like and what not, and by the time the message is transmitted to Earth, Earth is no more.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

umm... I'm still enjoying earth on a daily basis yo Lets not explode it yet :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this