Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Canada's Cannabis Car

By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield August 24, 2010

switch_397x224.jpg

Unlike the cannabis Californians may find available at their local medical marijuana dispensaries, hemp grown by AITF ends up on a production line, where it is turned into a composite material that has the impact resistance of fiberglass.

But unlike fiberglass, the hemp bio-composite is cheaper to produce and has fewer health risks connected with its manufacture. It is also significantly lighter than glass-based composites traditionally used in racing cars.

There are few details about the electric drivetrain in Motive Industries' Kestrel, but the car's designer Darren McKeage explained that the four-seat compact vehicle was designed around some core ideals:

"Electric Cars need to be efficient, therefore the Kestrel design had to be simple (minimized part count) and light weight, while still being unique and eye catching."

Using composite materials to produce a car isn't a new idea. In the resource-poor East Germany of the 1950s, enterprising engineers designed a car whose body panels were made entirely from Duroplast, a composite material containing plastic, cotton and wool.

While the Berlin Wall may have fallen years ago, thousands of Duroplast-bodied Trabants have survived all over the former east block. Duroplast proved so hard-wearing that scientists later had to engineer Duroplast-eating bacteria to dispose of the cotton-based panels.

:sparkle:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

There's gonna be a lot of car theft reports when they figure out how to extract the cannabis from the overall material X'D ... *sci-fi movie thriller storyline*

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

lol I dun think I'd smoke it, but I'd drive it

pretty hot lookin ;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this