Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

China oil spill doubles in size, is deemed 'severe threat'

Crude pours out after pipeline blast; at least 1 firefighter dead

BEIJING — China's largest reported oil spill more than doubled in size to 165 square miles by Wednesday, forcing nearby beaches to close and prompting one official to warn of a "severe threat" to sea life and water quality.

The oil slick started spreading five days ago when a pipeline at a busy northeastern port exploded, sparking a massive fire that took more than 15 hours to contain. Hundreds of boats have been deployed to help with the cleanup.

At least one person has been killed in those efforts, a 25-year-old firefighter, Zhang Liang, who drowned Tuesday after a wave threw him from a vessel and pushed him out to sea, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Another man who also fell in was rescued.

Beaches near Dalian, once named China's most livable city, were closing as oil started reaching their shores, Xinhua reported.

"The oil spill will pose a severe threat to marine animals, and water quality, and the sea birds," Huang Yong, deputy bureau chief for Dalian, China Maritime Safety Administration, told Dragon TV.

Crude oil started pouring into the Yellow Sea off a busy northeastern port after a pipeline exploded late last week, sparking a massive 15-hour fire.

The cause of the blast was still not clear Wednesday. The pipeline is owned by China National Petroleum Corp., Asia's biggest oil and gas producer by volume.

can we all get off oil now? :nah:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

The conspiracy theorist in me says that China National Pretroleum is just jealous of all the hype BP got, and they want to show that they're better.

But yeah, it's time to get off the oil.

As my friend said the other day, America is to oil as Whitney Houston is to crack. Not sure how decent of a comparison that is, but it sure seems right.

Edited by Sojourn
Massive typos. That's what you get for posting before you've had your coffee...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah its about right there hon -_-;

I want ppl to realize what we already HAVE every day and use it

fuck the money and its scuzzy back trail of excess

fuck the pigs they're for eating. I know lotsa ppl that like bacon

give us our renewable endless clean local energy NOW beeeeeeeeeeeeitch

~sorry beers~

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

so, so, SO much easier said than done. The use of oil is so far gone that it will be nearly impossible to stop using it. unless we pull a gundam 00 and create some big ass towers that go into space and render oil useless, it still will be used and it still will spill.

mimiruzr2.jpg

I'm called a hypocrite for listening to rap, liking stem cell research, having long hair, and speaking my mind and I registered Republican.

Gamertag: FORDno50

Sign in to follow this