Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Antiheros

antihero[1] (sometimes 'antiheroine' as feminine) is generally considered to be a protagonist whose character is at least in some regards conspicuously contrary to that of the archetypal hero, and is in some instances its antithesis. Some consider the word's meaning to be sufficiently broad as to additionally encompass the antagonist who (in contrast to the archetypal villain) elicits considerable sympathy or admiration

I've been kickin around another writing project but I'm fairly convinced that I wanna gotta have to have an antihero. Something about these truly miserable bastards just appeals to me.:teethglint:

I did a practice piece a few years ago where I wickedly cultivated an antihero. I ended up using the story as a psychological experiment as well as a writing experiment for myself and the ppl reading. There were some interesting results.

so who were some of yer fav antis?

Roland Deschain was the fucker I loved to hate through 7 books of the Dark Tower series in 22 years. I still approach that mutherfucker with caution cuz I know he brings on the hurt. I thought I'd re read DT but didn't wanna start w revised Gunslinger and thought I could skip it and just start on Drawing. Nope cant do that gotta go all the way back. Gotta be ~19~ from the start. I really fuckin hate the shit Roland did. As far as I'm concerned he got exactly what he fuckin deserved at the tower.

Prince Vegeta... as if that needs any explanation or comment at all :sparkle:

I think Brandon Heat falls into the anit catagory seeing as how his mafia job is beating and killing people and hes brought back to do more killing. He's quite the gunslinger himself, I'm sure Roland would like him before he used him to death. -_-;

Gutts.... because he's Gutts. Bastard will just cut you in half with his giant fuckin sword...

Yagami Light aka Kira. Brilliant totally scary guy.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Yeah man ... Vegeta > Goku. I'd add Trunks.

Brandon - good call.

Gatts is less of a antihero in this sense because he's just badass good from the beginning. Zodd though, could be the antihero, surprise surprise! Like the time when he teams up with Gatts to beat the emperor, and he's pretty likable cos he also gave Gatts that key piece of advice at the beginning ;)

Inu Yasha's got a couple actually! Sesshomaru, Kikyo, Kagura, Kohaku (wow 3 K's!) ... yeah.

Sir Crocodile, Buggy, Mr. 3, and Boa to some extent ... and I'm sure we could add Kuma to the list when in a year or two we'll learn of how he saved the Strawhats by splitting em up!

Sai from Naruto, well look at this - Gaara maan. Gaara. And yeah, Itafregginchi.

Scar from Full Metal Alchemist.

Aoshi from Samurai X.

Viral from Gurren Lagan.

Edmond Dantes from Gankutsuou aka The Count Of Monte Cristo is so so good.

Hisoka from HunterXHunter, remember him?!

Dr. Jackal from Get Backers.

A couple more definitely ... I need to think X'D

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

My Top 5 Anti-Heroes

1. Deadpool (Marvel) - Grabbed my interest back in the 90's X-Men cartoon when I 1st thought Morph did a horrible job changing into Spider-Man. My 1st issue of him was the flashback, The End Of Wade Wilson.

The end of Wade Wilson was he got cancer & left his GF Vanessa.

Over a month later I got issue 7 followed by Dare Devil / Deadpool 97 and been as hooked as I can be ever since... Well until Wade Wilson's War issue 2 which has greatly offended me as a fan since it messed with his origins too much... So bad I've considered canceling my subscription to Deadpool Team Up which has been funny but overall meh...

2. Lobo (DC) - First saw him in the Superman episode "The Main Man". I didn't own any Lobo comics though until Lobo: Portrait Of A Basticth. And looking at his origin I sometimes question if I should consider him a Villain. But since the first series its been Bad vs Evil or Bad vs (Insert Pompous Ass Views). Its even harder for me to when it has been at times emphasized Lobo's love for Space Dolphins. I definitely like the 2nd half, Lobo's Back, where he was killed & sent to Heaven because Hell wanted nothing to do with him.

He Bitch Slapped everyone in Heaven (& Hell) until he was reincarnated the way he'd like. And after that no one was allowed to collect Lobo... So he became immortal due to the fact the "Higher Ups" were afraid of him.

I also bought Lobo: Highway To Hell. A 2 part story where Lobo is out for revenge after Satan killed a Space Dolphin. Even getting into a bar fight over a guy about to swallow a small living goldfish.

3. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) - Hot chick walks into a bar & makes him an offer he can't refuse... But he forgot that one since he was drunk. After killing the 10th ranked Assassin the next offer he couldn't refuse was he'd get to have sex with said hot chick if he became the #1 ranked Assassin. Long story short he remembers the talk in the bar once he meets the current #1 ranked Assassin.
  4. Smith (Shoot 'Em Up) - A story that was about saving a baby from becoming killed for a bone marrow transplant... In the most bad ass way possible.
  5. Chev Chelios (Crank) - A man who should have been dead & is dying out for revenge on whoever caused it to him. Off the wall ways of him staying alive & getting revenge. Even more of that in the sequel!

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Guts: Considered by many as the pure personification of strength and will, Guts is a Byronic hero who is born as one who may be able to struggle against causality but who is unable to maintain it indefinitely

The Byronic hero typically exhibits several of the following characteristics:[citation needed]

a strong sense of arrogance

high level of intelligence and perception

cunning and able to adapt

suffering from an unnamed crime

a troubled past

sophisticated and educated

self-critical and introspective

mysterious, magnetic and charismatic

struggling with integrity

power of seduction and sexual attraction

social and sexual dominance

emotional conflicts, bipolar tendencies, or moodiness[citation needed]

a distaste for social institutions and norms

being an exile, an outcast, or an outlaw

"dark" attributes not normally associated with a hero[citation needed]

disrespect of rank and privilege

jaded, world-weary

cynicism

self-destructive behaviour

Anti heroes are usually more interesting as the writer doesnt flood you give you what you want, motives reasons and history are fed in little amounts, and random acts of out of character behaviour is what really keeps the audience.

Someone said the best writer doesnt give the audience what they expect, but what they dont expect.

Normal heroes usually all follow a set pattern, you love them, there awesome, they will always save the day, and when shit hits the fan, they will be the last one standing.

but the anti hero is the one with surprises who all the girls fancy but go with the hero as he is more consistent.

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Oh, Saito Hajime from Samurai X too ... that fight he has with Kenshin at the start is easily among the top 3 fights in the series.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.