Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

FBI Shuts Down Comic Scan Site

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/17430.html

The FBI has shut down comic scan site htmlcomics.com and seized its servers in a raid supported by a consortium of comic publishers, according to an announcement by Katten Muchen Rosenman, the law firm representing the publishers consortium. Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Bongo, Archie, Conan Properties, Mirage, and United Media were involved.

Htmlcomics.com was the largest site offering scanned American comics, according to the announcement, with an average of 1.6 million visits a day and over 6.6 million pages of comics from 5,700 series. The site was “…producing rampant copyright infringement on a daily basis and depriving artists and publishers of hard-earned and much-needed revenue,” according to the publishers’ attorneys.

The FBI investigation was conducted by its Tampa Field Office, which led to the search warrant served in the raid.

If this can happen to a comic scan site, I wonder if manga scanlators will be targeted in the near future as well...

BTW, has anyone been to that htmlcomics site? I've never heard of it until today.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

prob cos Itunes kicked a fuss, as itunes sells digital comics

Manga is a touch one.

As all it is scanning pics,

all text is technically original ;p, it is as taboo as making your own wallpaper imo ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

i remember the FBI shut down l2ownage

as it was running a free version of the MMORPG lineage 2

and i think it had more players then the real servers ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

*Tries to guard his collection of straight Yiff comics...*

*Just realized he thought that out loud...*

... $#@! ...

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      The Joker.. ehh.. Heath Ledger's joker looked much better.
    • By Sledgstone
      Ehhh... I'm so sick of the reboot origin story movies. And it doesn't look as good as the previous two Fantastic Four movies either.
    • By Sledgstone
      You know there is too much fan service when the male characters are no longer interested.
    • By DeathscytheX
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjk3XRLmasI
      For the first time ever, the 1978 cult classic manga Space Pirate Captain Harlock is getting its own feature film adaptation. Written by Mobile Suit Gundam UC author Harutoshi Fukui and directed by Appleseed director Shinji Aramaki; Toei Animation made its biggest investment ever, throwing $30 million into the project. The story originally serialized by Leiji Matsumoto, has been updated to fit themes of modern society, and has been given a Hollywood style production. Harlock will release in Japan during the fall. No word on a North American release as of yet.
    • By DeathscytheX
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjk3XRLmasI
      For the first time ever, the 1978 cult classic manga Space Pirate Captain Harlock is getting its own feature film adaptation. Written by Mobile Suit Gundam UC author Harutoshi Fukui and directed by Appleseed director Shinji Aramaki; Toei Animation made its biggest investment ever, throwing $30 million into the project. The story originally serialized by Leiji Matsumoto, has been updated to fit themes of modern society, and has been given a Hollywood style production. Harlock will release in Japan during the fall. No word on a North American release as of yet.
      Click here to view the article