Sign in to follow this  
Eli

Final Fantasy XIII

I picked up XIII at 10:00 am yesterday and when I haven't been sleeping, going to school or going to work, I've been glued to it. So far I am a little disappointed in how linear it is, but that seems to be a gripe world-wide. This one seems a little slow to progress into anything understandable. I see exactly why Square-Enix went that extra mile to ensure English speaking audiences could understand what was going on with their chapter-by-chapter, section-by-section explanation of events. So thumbs up there.

Another thing troubling me so far is the lack of true depth in the combat system. This will probably change as I progress, I'm sure, but it is kind of a drag being in combat for the first few hours where all you are doing is auto-attacking and using a potion once every 4 or 5 fights. To be perfectly honest, I despise the "gambit" system adopted in XII. I want to control every single playable character myself, not assign them to some automatic role to fulfill and then bullshit me into believing that the depth comes from customizing them. Phooey, I say. Also the "stream lining" they've done to combat almost blows off its own foot. I can't hardly tell what the fuck is going on half the time. I'm unable to appreciate any increase in damage or gawk at the cool-as-hell spell/ability effects I've upgraded because everyone is cluster-fucking the mobs.

Also, my last bitch goes to the names for some of these characters. I don't care how mysterious and brooding you are, no one is going to take you seriously if you insist on being called Lightning. Sorry.

Anyways, I'm done complaining. I really hope this game pulls the rug out from under me soon so I can go all fan boy about it til they release XV. The graphics are simply amazing. Being able to play it on a 24", 1080p screen is breath taking, especially the beginning. The sound effects are crisp and accurate, and the sound track is beautiful.

That is my take on it so far, has anyone else been playing this yet? I will update this post when I've gotten a bit further.

Edited by Eli

3-1.gif

im like 11hrs in tbh the game seems pretty short like 25hrs at best

i dont like the characters at all, the most likable character is the black guy, but is also the shittest in battle

the battle system is smooth, hitting auto battle on trash mobs is partly boring

i much perfered the sphere grid to the current leveling system

there is a servere lack of weapon upgrades and as you cannot talk to NPC's or interact with your surroundings has taken the game to a new level, however everything is voice dubbed

you can see how S.Enix has evolved to stream line a game: no npc's no environment, streamlined battle system, zero customization really,

the game is truly beautiful and a great story so far,

but it isnt an RPG to me, i dont feel like a character from the story when i play the game

more to come when i finish it

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I'm still waiting for my roommate to play the thing so I can see it before I decide whether I buy it or I pick up Resonance of Fate instead. I was turned away from buying it when I read Dom's review of the Japanese version over at MegaTokyo (and I so looked forward to this since it was first announced all those years ago).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I'm still waiting for my roommate to play the thing so I can see it before I decide whether I buy it or I pick up Resonance of Fate instead. I was turned away from buying it when I read Dom's review of the Japanese version over at MegaTokyo (and I so looked forward to this since it was first announced all those years ago).

i read his review also...he overly exaggerated a LOT...the systems in the game are not that bad...he really went overboard with the bashing of it...

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

i read his review also...he overly exaggerated a LOT...the systems in the game are not that bad...he really went overboard with the bashing of it...

I figured as much which was why I'm waiting for my roommate to start playing it (he's waiting until Monday to start due to a school oriented project taking up his time). Once I see a some of the game I'll make my own decision on it but a lot of other people have been saying mostly the same things about the game which is why I'm hesitant to buy it.

Honestly the last Final Fantasy I played was 7 and the games released in america before it. I had someone tell me that If I'm expecting a huge world to explore and interact with most of the games lately have slowly done away with it. I remember watching my brother play play FF10 and it sequel and it looked pretty good to me.

FFX was great! They just about got it right in that game, but everything has gone south with their experimenting with new systems. XIII really feels like a typical linear action game, except you fight and advance your character via RPG elements.

3-1.gif

FFX was great! They just about got it right in that game, but everything has gone south with their experimenting with new systems. XIII really feels like a typical linear action game, except you fight and advance your character via RPG elements.

agree 100%

sigpic1620_11.gif

no weapon customization.....:ahh:that was one of the best things about X, Riku was da shitz.

how about side quest stuff.....? Anything?

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Apparently there is side quest stuff, but not until later. This game is painfully linear through the majority of it, but I think it may open up a bit more towards the end. I'm starting to get used to this game. It sucks that so much has changed about Final Fantasy, but it's actually pretty enjoyable once you accept the changes.

3-1.gif

I agree with the uniqueness, I think that's kind of important.

I'm at the point where the game has opened up a lot and there are many different side quest missions and additional things to do. The storyline and travel is always going to be somewhat linear, but now there is at least something for me to aim for. There is so much to do and a lot of it is so hard, it's overwhelming. A lot of it, I found out, isn't even possible until after I've completed the main story. Good stuff.

3-1.gif

i dont like swapping between characters each chapter.

essential with the paradigm system, no character feels unique at all

all the chars are unique mainly due to their base stats...even though they can be anything they still excel at there certain roles more then the secondary ones

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Well, the weapons are all unique to each character and all the initial versions of each weapon can either be found or bought. But XIII uses an upgrade system for these weapons (and accessories) and make you use components littered throughout the game to add multiplier XP to the item, then actually XP to the item to create a higher level of said weapon. Special components are used to transform the weapons into ultimate weapons and you can level them all over again.

Personally, I don't like it, but it isn't dabilitating. There -are- Chocobos in the game! They look so damn real. @_@ And the baby chocobo that nests in Sazh's 'fro is the cutest thing since chocobo plushies.

3-1.gif

I've watched the entirety of the game while my roommate played it and am quite glad I did not buy it (the story is good and the visuals are awesome but the battle system is highly simplistic and the whole item upgrading system too tedious (my roommate is shooting for all the ultimate weapons so he's been grinding money and items for the last week)). Sadly the game can be beaten using the original weapons you start with (showing how much it's not necessary to upgrade said items and weapons).

I will agree that the baby chocobo is by far the cutest thing I've ever seen and so damn funny, it's really the only reason I was watching my roommate play it towards the end.

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee baby chocobos!!

is leveling up the weapons kinda like Dark Cloud games then?

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

you get random items, each item is worth exp,

and a wep needs like 2000 exp per level

a super conducted might be worth 1500

and a basic screw worth 50

(inaccurate examples)

you get multiplier bonus like 1.5* exp

so basic screw becomes 75exp

(inaccurate examples)

sigpic1620_11.gif