Sign in to follow this  
CabbitGirl

Hobbit house? AND a tree house??

ok I was looking for movie times and saw this link at the bottom, this guy built a Hobbit House!

http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/02/04/a-real-life-hobbit-house/

hobbit-house1-425lf012810.jpg Photos: SimonDale.net

A low-impact, eco-conscious house fit for a hobbit in Wales.

I am the sort of girl who read all of The Lord of the Rings books (this was long before the films came out) and I even devoured Tolkien's prequel to the series, The Simarillion. So, when I saw a post on lace & tea titled 'The Hobbit House,' I was intrigued.

This Wales-based home is, in fact, designed much like much like what I imagine a hobbit house would be, but this is more than a novelty home. The builder, Simon Dale, and his father-in-law created this house with a low-impact approach and maximum regard for the environment in mind. It was also a do-it-yourself project, built on the cheap by hand: A-mazing!

hobbit-house2-425lf012810.jpg Photos: SimonDale.net

Check out the 'how' section on Simon's site for a very detailed account of the building of the hobbit house. Simon says he built this amazing abode with a chainsaw, a hammer, a 1-inch chisel and very little else-seriously! He enthuses, "This kind of building is accessible to anyone. My main relevant skills were being able bodied, having self belief and perseverance and a mate or two to give a lift now and again."

hobbit-house3-425lf012810.jpg Photos: SimonDale.net

While us city-dwellers won't be building any hobbit houses anytime soon, we're inspired by Simon Dale's incredibly optimistic view of home building. Click through to the section devoted to similar buildings, it has examples of other hobbit-like dwellings for all of us dork-tastic Tolkein fans out there.

but thennnn i also went to see this guy who did tree houses!

http://www.shelterpop.com/2009/09/10/would-you-live-in-this-treehouse/

treehousea-425jd082709.jpg Baumraum treehouses are much more than a rickety wooden fort -- These are the treehouses of the future. Photo: Baumraum

Baumraum makes treehouses. But, not just any type of treehouse...this isn't the one you and your dad could whip up in a weekend with some leftover wood and rusty nails. This is a real treehouse; one that you could live in!

Traditionally, treehouses have been for children as a fun way to start secret clubs, camp in the backyard or just hide from Mom when it was time to do chores. However, Baumraum took the idea behind treehouses and expanded it to meet the needs of adults, too. These treehouses are fit for an adult retreat, a romantic getaway or even a very unique home office.

treehouseb-425jd082709.jpg The interior of a Baumraum treehouse can go from simple to luxurious, depending on your needs. Photo: Baumraum

Each treehouse is prefabricated, so it can be fitted with whatever fixed furniture you'd like. It can be insulated to protect from the elements, and even wired so you can work and stay connected, while you're way up high. Baumraum offers a wide selection of add-ons including seating and reclining areas, storage space, a mini-kitchen, heating, lighting, entertainment electronics like a flatscreen tv and a minibar, as well as windows facing in all directions. So, basically, you can buy yourself a prefab mini home in the sky.

But what about the trees and the environment, which is on everyone's mind these days. Good news: Baumraum is environmentally conscious. The treehouses are offered in a range of sustainable materials, such as FSC-certified tropical wood. However, their number one concern is making sure that the surrounding trees are not injured or compromised when building and installing the treehouse. No nails or screws are used for installation. Instead, Baumraum uses textile belts and adjustable steel cables that do not cause any harm to the trees.

treehousec-425jd082709.jpg Baumraum makes a conscious effort to ensure no trees are harmed. Photo: Baumraum

So, this begs the question -- would you live in this treehouse?

so cool! i totally wouldn't mind living in either of those :)

radicalcabbitbannercopy.jpg

Sign in to follow this